Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compensatory Picks in '08

BALLz

We will not recieve any compensatory picks, EVER!

We always sign as many if not more than we lose.

Even if we did our FO does not know how to draft outside of the top 10 so it would be a wasted pick anyway.

We got a a couple, Cooley being the best our brightest gem

Dockerys' contract is far more than Smoot and Fletcher put together. The formula has to do with where they were drafted, how much they play and the amount of the contract.

It has nothing to do with where they were drafted, and if it is equal signed vs. equal lost, the contracts will cancel each other out despite the disparity.

Google still works fine...

COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICKS: Compensation awarded by the league to teams who lost more UFAs than they signed. Compensation is in the form of extra draft picks added to the end of rounds three through seven. The quantity of picks is equivalent to the difference of UFAs signed to UFAs lost. For example, if a team loses 4 UFAs and signs 1 UFA, they will receive three Compensatory Selections. The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. The highest possible compensatory pick is the 31st of the third round (91st overall). (probably changed to 33rd in the 3rd round) If a team has signed an equal number or more UFAs than it lost, no "Compensatory Picks" are awarded.

Also the max is 4 comp picks awarded per team.

FAs signed by other teams - Dock, Holdman, Duckett, Wright, Molinaro

FAs signed by Washington - Fletcher, Macklin, Smoot, Stoutmire, Fabini

We're not getting any comp picks for 2008.

FAs signed by other teams - Dock, Holdman, Duckett, Wright, Molinaro

FAs signed by Washington - Fletcher, Macklin, Smoot, Stoutmire, Fabini

We're not getting any comp picks for 2008.

[/color][/b]

Molinaro won't count in the formula and neither will Smoot or Fabini because they were cut by their previous teams so at this point the Skins are 4 lost and 4 gained [Fletcher Macklin Stoutmire and Tucker] so they're not due any comp picks in 08.

Molinaro won't count in the formula and neither will Smoot or Fabini because they were cut by their previous teams so at this point the Skins are 4 lost and 4 gained [Fletcher Macklin Stoutmire and Tucker] so they're not due any comp picks in 08.

What happens if we cut one of those guys like Stoutmire or Macklin. Do they still count against us.

If it does then it kinda seems like your better of not signing someone in FA if your not sure they will make it the team.

I think contract size and tenure on the new team also factors into compensation as well. Considering the huge contract Dock signed, I do think we will get something. Maybe another 6th rounder.

Macklin, Stoutmire and Tucker all signed for the minimum, and the later two are no lock to make the team.

Meanwhile, Kenny Wright signed a 3 year deal with Cleveland, which suggests that it was probably more than just the minimum. Duckett got a 1 year 1.5m contract.

So, yeah, I do think we will get compensation of some sort.

Jason

I think contract size and tenure on the new team also factors into compensation as well. Considering the huge contract Dock signed, I do think we will get something. Maybe another 6th rounder.

You guys are wrong about the formula. It is heavily weighted toward contract. I suspect the Redskins will end up with a 4th or 5th. I doubt it will be a 6th or 7th. This is no joke... book it and call me out on this thread. If the Redskins don't make any more free agent spaces, they will get a 4th or 5th compensatory pick for Dock. Performance actually has very little to do with it... it's heavily weighted towards contract and games started.

From this thread (second number is average contract amount):

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200611

THIRD ROUND

San Diego (Drew Brees, $10.0 million, 16 Games Played/16 Games Started, Pro Bowl)

San Francisco (Julian Peterson , $7.714 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

Indianapolis (Edgerrin James, $7.5 million, 16/16)

FOURTH ROUND

Oakland (Charles Woodson, $5.576 million, 16/16)

Pittsburgh (Chris Hope, $5.098 million, 16/16)

Atlanta (Kevin Shaffer, $5.143 million, 16/16)

Baltimore (Anthony Weaver, $5.3 million, 15/15)

FIFTH ROUND

Indianapolis (David Thornton, $4.45 million, 16/13)

Baltimore (Ma'ake Kemoeatu, $4.6 million, 16/14)

Pittsburgh (Antwaan Randle El, $4.464 million, 16/16)

New England (David Givens, $4.8 million, 5/5, placed on IR)

Dock's contract was an average of $7 million, which would put the Redskins in line for a 3rd round pick, if they didn't sign any free agents. That is why I am guessing they will receive a 4th or 5th. I'm guessing Adalius Thomas and Nate Clements signed the largest FA contracts this year, followed by Dock (is this correct?). Baltimore will probably get the 3rd rounder. I can't remember if Leonard Davis counts, or if he was cut by Arizona.

Good pick-up. I thought about that later (some of them were released).

Tucker wasn't in the NFL in 2006. So he doesn't count.

Smoot was cut.

Stoutmire counts.

Fletcher counts.

Macklin counts.

Fabini was released by Dallas, so he doesn't count.

Holdman, Dock, Duckett, Wright, And Molinaro were never released. They signed Fabini after Dallas picked-up Molinaro.

So, 5 lost and 3 gained. So, it does look like we get 2 comp picks next draft.

Good pick-up. I thought about that later (some of them were released).

Tucker wasn't in the NFL in 2006. So he doesn't count.

Smoot was cut.

Stoutmire counts.

Fletcher counts.

Macklin counts.

Fabini was released by Dallas, so he doesn't count.

Holdman, Dock, Duckett, Wright, And Molinaro were never released. They signed Fabini after Dallas picked-up Molinaro.

So, 5 lost and 3 gained. So, it does look like we get 2 comp picks next draft.

You're right about Tucker but wrong about Molinaro. He only had 3 seasons in the NFL and didn't qualify yet to be a UFA. The Skins had the option to tender him as an RFA but chose not to so there is no comp for him. Also if Holdman or Wright signed for the vet minimum they might not even reach the threshold for comp in 08. They award the same number of total picks every year[32] so whether a team gets a 7th rd comp pick for a vet minimum player depends on the losses of other teams.

For more information to this thread.

Dockery - $7M per year

Duckett - $1.5M per year

Holdman - $1.3M per year

K. Wright - $0.8M per year ??

~ $10.6M per year

Fletcher - $5M per year

Macklin - $1M per year ??

Stoutmire - $1M per year ??

~ At least $7M per year

Looks like the difference is about $3.6M, which actually puts it into the 6th or 5th. I over-estimated Macklin/Stoutmire and under-estimated Wright's numbers. I'm sold that it will be a 5th...

Archived