Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compensatory Picks in '08

BALLz

Also if Holdman or Wright signed for the vet minimum they might not even reach the threshold for comp in 08.

Almost guaranteed if Wright signed a 3 year deal that it was more than the vet minimum. Otherwise, why do it?

Some interesting notes at the end of that linked thread:

-- A player signed will never cancel out a player lost whose comp value falls in a higher round. If a team loses one player with a third-round comp value and another player with a seventh-round comp value, and if the team signs a player with a fourth-round value, the player signed will cancel out the seventh-round loss, not the third-round loss. (This was the mistake I made with San Francisco this year. The same thing happened with Seattle two years ago.)

-- Signed players always cancel out the player lost with the HIGHEST value in the same round or lower (but as I said above, never a player in a higher round). If a team loses a player with a high seventh-round comp value and another player with a low seventh-round comp value, and if that team signs a player with an even lower seventh-round comp value, the signed player would cancel out the higher seventh-rounder, even though his value was closer to (and even less than) the low seventh-rounder.

By that logic, Dockery shouldn't get canceled out, because his contract averages $7m a year, and the highest contract we signed was Fletcher's, which averages out to $5m a year. That means that we should be assured a 3rd rounder next year.

A bigger question, tho, will we see a second pick? That is going to be a tough one, since more than likely Fletcher will cancel out Wright, and who knows if Duckett will get enough playing time to qualify. I'd say if we do get another pick, it will probably be a 7th.

Jason

If you remember, in 05 we lost Smoot and Pierce and signed Patten and Rabach and all we got was a 7th.

I wouldn't be optimistic for much. Maybe a 6th. That's about the ceiling, I'm guessin'.

From the 2006 compensatory picks thread:

WASHINGTON

Lost – Fred Smoot, Antonio Pierce.

Signed – Casey Rabach, David Patten

It seems like you really need to come out a player behind, and you are guaranteed to get an extra pick... or else the players start to cancel out.

So basically, first priority is to come up short players. Once you are short players, you will get compensation based on their new salaries.

I bet the Redskins end up with a 4th round compensatory pick....

If you remember, in 05 we lost Smoot and Pierce and signed Patten and Rabach and all we got was a 7th.

I wouldn't be optimistic for much. Maybe a 6th. That's about the ceiling, I'm guessin'.

Ah, I see what happened here:

It is possible for a team to get a compensatory pick even if it doesn’t suffer a net loss of qualifying free agents, although those type of comp picks come at the end of the seventh round, after the normal comp picks and before the non-compensatory picks that are added if fewer than 32 comp picks are awarded. There have been eight of these type of comp picks awarded, and in each case, the combined value of the free agents lost was significantly higher than the combined value of the free agents signed. In all eight cases, those teams lost the same number of qualifying free agents as they signed. No team has ever been awarded a comp pick after signing more qualifying free agents than they lost, no matter how significant the difference in combined value.

Since we didn't have a net loss in 2005, but were even and the values were a net loss, we got a 7th round pick.

I have a feeling, tho, that we will end up with a net loss in 2007. Dockery and Wright will probably start for their new team, and Duckett will qualify simply from the value of his contract. For us, Fletcher is the only likely starter. Macklin and Stoutmire are very borderline, and Stoutmire might not even make the team.

Jason

Archived