Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Heres a few more landscaping pictures. The house is only 2 years old so obviously things need to fill in some more.

In one picture is Gold Mound Spirea, Creeping Phlox, purple Azaleas and a Laceleaf Maple. In the other are hershey-red Azaleas mixed with purple Azaleas framed by 2 Dogwoods.

I built a rock wall about 3 feet high on one and only about a foot high on the other. Can't really see one of the walls because it is around the front.

If anyone has any other landscaping ideas or pictures please post, always looking for ideas. And I've got a lot more to do. :)

That's excellent Zoony...reminds me of a house I built in the Sims 2. I was testing the game for my niece...seriously...I was. I gave the game to her now....after I made an extensive Sims family...:silly:

I'm getting geared up to remodel a small full bathroom. I've replaced toilets, sinks and done drywall before.

The biggest part that I want to do is something I've never done. I want to rip up the linoleum and replace it with tile.

Anyone hear have any tips/hints? From what I've read it seems to be real straightforward.

Thanks in advance.

I'm getting geared up to remodel a small full bathroom. I've replaced toilets, sinks and done drywall before.

The biggest part that I want to do is something I've never done. I want to rip up the linoleum and replace it with tile.

Anyone hear have any tips/hints? From what I've read it seems to be real straightforward.

Thanks in advance.

I too would be very interested in getting some pointers. I plan on redo-ing my bathroom and i have no experience whatsoever.

OK, well i planted grass a month or so back and its coming up now. So is a ****load of clover. Can i buy something that will kill the clover and not my grass? If so, what?

weed-b-gone. won't kill the grass. but it'll take two applications to kill clover.

OK, well i planted grass a month or so back and its coming up now. So is a ****load of clover. Can i buy something that will kill the clover and not my grass? If so, what?

Major's right, your best bet is to use Weed B Gone.

But once your lawn is established, you might also look into Scotts fertilizer w/ weed control. Apply it in the morning first thing to a lawn wet from the dew. But if you plan on using it, be sure and use it in the spring. Follow it up with Scotts summer fertilizer, fall, winter, etc.

The weed&feed won't get all the weeds, but it will get a lot of them and is good for lazy guys like me. :)

After a year or two on the Scotts program you will see a huge difference. It's sort of pricey though.

Major's right, your best bet is to use Weed B Gone.

But once your lawn is established, you might also look into Scotts fertilizer w/ weed control. Apply it in the morning first thing to a lawn wet from the dew. But if you plan on using it, be sure and use it in the spring. Follow it up with Scotts summer fertilizer, fall, winter, etc.

The weed&feed won't get all the weeds, but it will get a lot of them and is good for lazy guys like me. :)

After a year or two on the Scotts program you will see a huge difference. It's sort of pricey though.

be sure to NOT over-fertilize though. mine is done in spring and fall, then lime applied in late fall.

I just moved into an apartment. Any ideas on how to put shelving onto the walls? I understand the first thing I'd need to do is get approval from management. I just want to put a few nails into the wall, and set up a bracket with some shelves... probably need a stud finder...

We're limited on space and I want to put my computer up on a shelf instead of on the desk.

Yes I am a home improvement rookie. There's probably some $20 kit from home depot I can buy.

Woohoo! I finished today. Last night my wife and I went to Ikea... we didn't see anything we liked from Lowes or Home Depot. Ended up not putting up my computer and other AV equipment onto a shelf, because that's just a stupid idea after spending more than a minute thinking about it.

We have a fireplace near the back of the room, with a white molded shelf. So we ended up buying 4 white molded brackets, don't even need a shelf... for the 2 rears.

Saw a good shelf at Ikea, maybe 24 inches long for the center speaker. Placed the shelf above the TV. This is a darker wood that matches the coffee table we use as a TV Stand.

Used 4 other brackets to mount the front speakers. Our apartment looks sweet.

I didn't have to use the studfinder, I ended up using dry-wall anchors. Of the 10 brackets I put up there were 3 that are problematic. For some reason early on I had a hard time getting them level... (yes I used a level)> It was because when I marked the location for the screw, I wasn't marking consistently. I had one more problem because the dark wood brackets I used were a little thicker than the white ones. I used a screw that was way too long and it's sticking out a little bit, and actually it's stuck in the wall, wouldn't go in or out (trying to avoid that at all costs). I could probably pry it out with a hammer.

So when we move out I'll need help (might as well as it here). How do I fill in the holes that I just created? What's the best way to deal with the stuck screw (people always say vise wrench, but I couldn't do that last time it happened to me). This has greatly improved the quality of our lives, and we bought some more shelves to put up. I'm glad our manager allowed us to add shelves...

I got a question that I hope I can get a rough answer from. My main powerline runs from neighbors yard, over my deck and patio and terminates on the far side of my house. I want to get this line moved if possible. My first question is...does anyone know how much something like this would cost? I think burying the line would be too expensive and I know the power company wouldn't be able get a truck in my backyard to put in new pole. I don't know what options I have. I will probably call the power company and ask them, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had this done. I know this isn't directly DIY, but if the line is moved, I have a DIY project planned....

• 2 weeks later...

i'm getting a very late start on the pool this year, for a few reasons.

first, i've been working on other projects, but i have also been procrastinating. the reason for the latter is that my pool is about 2 or 3 years overdue for a paint job.

well, last season i determined that this would be the spring to paint it. since i would have to drain it, and clean it anyway, i decided to skip closing the pool down properly, i.e. thorough clean, chemicals, etc. just drained the lines, plugged them up and put the cover on.

what a mistake!!! this is what i saw when i took the cover off:

DSCN2461.jpg

i drained it completely, pressure washed it, then etched the concrete with acid. after about 7 hours of work, 30+ gallons of ****-smelling algae sludge, this is what i've got:

DSCN2463.jpg

i will start painting this afternoon. if the rain holds off, i'll finish tomorrow.

Actually this spring I get to continue to taking all the wallpaper down in all the bathrooms.

If anyone uses wallpaper anymore they need to get the electric chair, the worst invention to not paint a wall in the world :)

Wallpaper is the devil's handiwork. But there's a trick to taking it down. Fabric softener. Spray fabric softener on the paper and let it sit for a few minutes and then spray again. It will start to fall off on its own after about 15 minutes. Makes the job MUCH easier.

i'm getting a very late start on the pool this year, for a few reasons.

You lucky ****, you've got a pool :mad:

I've never used an etching solution before, how did that go? The reason I ask is that I was looking into putting down some garage floor coating... but the directions say you have to etch first. I've heard its a freakin mess.

(we looked into getting a pool installed. Estimates start at $35k. :doh: )

I've never used an etching solution before, how did that go? The reason I ask is that I was looking into putting down some garage floor coating... but the directions say you have to etch first. I've heard its a freakin mess.

DIY im not great at. Getting people $35k for home improvement.....that i can do. :cool:

DIY im not great at. Getting people $35k for home improvement.....that i can do. :cool:

Hey, if I thought I'd get some of the $$ back, I'd do it in a second :laugh:

Most of the realtors I've talked to say it doesn't add to the value of your house... and might even detract. (families don't want to do the maintenance or have small kids)

But anyways... I've always wanted a pool. Party at Majors! :cheers:

yeah, i'd never be able to afford to put a pool in. it was here when we bought the house. :cool:

acid etching isn't that bad. it's just that muriatic acid is very dangerous, so you have to be careful. just make sure you get an acid brush from the paint store. muriatic acid will eat a regular brush. follow the directions, and don't get it on you. wear gloves, long sleeves, pants and goggles.

• 6 months later...

Ok, so i cant believe this ****ing happened.

Halftime of the GLORIOUS Skins Dallas game i go to the bathroom to expel some used beers. I finish, flush, and bump a bottle of hair crap into the bowl. It was PERFECTLY timed. The NANOSECOND the bottle hit the water, the water went down the tube, taking the bottle with it. I still cant believe it freaking happened.

I tried to reach down and retrieve it, but i cant get to it. Now im scared to :toilet: in my toilet.

How the hell do i get that thing out of there?