Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Un)Official Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Thread

@DCGoldPants

Hate to bring this up again... but I will. He's 48th on the list (mainly due to the injuries), but check out his 40 time. And I honestly can't say enough about the guy's character. I'm sure that's one of the reasons the Skins brought him in.

He's a true team player, one of the most polite, respectful, and charismatic students I ever taught... Plus, he's 5'7" and can tomahawk dunk a basketball and do a backflip on a gym floor standing still. Unbelievable athlete, great work ethic, and outstanding human being. He's got a shot!

http://nflexperts.scout.com/3/07DraftRB.html

I see they signed two Blue Devils. Why not make it 2.5? Tyler Krieg OG Cal (Duke) 6'5'' 305 started for Duke as a soph and jr and would have been best player as a sr on team but x-ferred to Cal to vie for a bowl game and winning team. Get this guy. I played high school ball with him and he has more upside than Luke Staley who also went to same hs as Krieg. Tell me your thoughts.

I would still like to see us pick up matt trannon and head case aka Walter Thomas.... if he does join our team thats his nickname, head case, lol

Matt Trannon signed with the Arizona Cardinals today-I think??? I was hoping we would have picked him up for RZs

am I the only one that is excited to see what Justin Hickman can do?

maybe it's because he's the only d-lineman we've picked up so far :)

Duke players signed as free agents also. John Talley, a cornerback, and Eli Nichols, a defensive lineman, signed with the Washington Redskins

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351022990&path=!sports!football!&s=1037645509262

http://www.draftdaddy.com/floodlist.cfm

Carl Berman, WR, Indiana State

Ryan Jewell, OC, Youngstown State (Try-out?)

Kevin Howe, DE, Eastern Michigan (Try-out)

Name: Carl Berman

College: Indiana State Number: 9

Height: 5-09 Weight: 166

Position: WR Pos2: KR

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007

40 Time: 4.32 40 Low: 4.26 40 High: 4.39

Projected Round: Stock:

Rated number out of 292 WR's / 2375 TOTAL

Senior wide receiver/return man Carl Berman ran between 4.29 and 4.33 in the 40 ... some watches had him as fast as 4.26 ... 38.5" vertical ... 4.21 short shuttle ... 6.78 3-cone ... 10'9" broad jump … 14 bench reps ... measured at 5-9 1/8, 166 pounds ... showed terrific straight-line speed ... little stiff in some of the agility drills, but great leaper for his size and could provide some punch on special teams ... training with Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson in Orlando, Fla. with Tom Shaw … has consistently been one of the fastest players in camp ... he was allowed to work out with the Irish indoors as his school did not have a scheduled pro day and this allowed the numerous scouts in South Bend, Ind., to run the small school speedster ... may also try to work out at the local pro day held by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, since he is a native of St. Petersburg.

---

Name: Ryan Jewell

College: Youngstown State Number: 52

Height: 6-4 Weight: 295

Position: C Pos2: OG

40 Time: 40 Low: 40 High:

Rated number out of 74 C's / 2375 TOTAL

12/13/06 - 2006 AP 1-AA All-American Second Team: Ryan Jewell started all 14 games at center for the Penguins during the 2006 campaign. A team captain, he started 42 contests during his four-year YSU career. He was a two-time All-Gateway first-team selection and as a senior was a first-team all-league pick.

http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/Sp...articleID=17573

Also, former YSU lineman and Warren G. Harding graduate, center Ryan Jewell (6-feet-4, 290 pounds) is expected to sign as a unrestricted free agent for the Redskins in the near future. Jewell is represented by DeBartolo Sports and Entertainment.

---

Name: Kevin Howe

College: Eastern Michigan Number: 88

Height: 6-3 Weight: 247

Position: OLB Pos2: DE

40 Time: 4.76 40 Low: 4.72 40 High: 7.85

Rated number out of 223 OLB's / 2375 TOTAL

10/09/06 - STILL NEEDS SOME WORK: All-MAC DE Kevin Howe Was kept quiet in the past game with only three tackles.

09/22/06 - DE Kevin Howe is an All-MAC-caliber player, but he's been almost invisible early in the season. He made two tackles in the first two games and had just four stops against Northwestern.

am I the only one that is excited to see what Justin Hickman can do? maybe it's because he's the only d-lineman we've picked up so far :)

12.5 sacks last year, so I am intrigured too. Knock on him seems to be that he is neither very strong nor very fast. But some players are productive even if they aren't super athletes so he should be interesting to watch.

Duke players signed as free agents also. John Talley, a cornerback, and Eli Nichols, a defensive lineman, signed with the Washington Redskins

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351022990&path=!sports!football!&s=1037645509262

Wow! John Talley is awesome! He isn't very big but he was first team all ACC the last two seasons, led the ACC in ints with 7 last year, and is second all-time in career ACC ints behind Dre Bly. He is also really smart. I like this signing.

Eli Nichols info:

In the spring we got an informative E-mail from someone close to Duke senior defensive end Eli Nichols. Now, well take a quick look at the junior who showed us glimpses of talent in 2004 and 2005 on film. He is definitely a player we will follow closely next season. Nichols is an athletic 6' 4", 260 pound edge rusher, with decent speed (4.8?) and a 34.5" vertical. He is the strongest member of Duke's team with a 475 bench and 30 reps at 225 pounds.

He has led a struggling Duke team (1-10 in 2005) in sacks and averaged 47 tackles the last two seasons, despite facing a steady dose of double and triple teams. Nichols also showed versatility playing some nose guard and defensive tackle in 2005 because of Duke's depth problems on the defensive line. Eli is also an Academic All-American, who will earn his degree this May in Mechanical Engineering and then a Masters degree by next May.

Any word on where Walter Thomas went or is he still unsigned? I dont know why I am intrigued by him but you just never know

New Orleans signed him.

Zona got two of the guys I would have most wanted: Travarous Bain CB Hampton and Lyle Sendlein C Texas.

Still haven't seen DeAndre Jackson sign anywhere.

Wow! John Talley is awesome! He isn't very big but he was first team all ACC the last two seasons, led the ACC in ints with 7 last year, and is second all-time in career ACC ints behind Dre Bly. He is also really smart. I like this signing.

I'm excited about this guy as well. Sounds like a Fred Smoot type.

Here's an in-depth report from PFW:

CB John Talley

(5-11, 176, 4.55e)

Positives: Smart and experienced with good instincts. Has excellent hands and very good ball skills. Has a solid pedal, good feet, good change of direction and quick hips. Shows surprisingly solid man-cover skills and the ability to read, anticipate and get positioning on routes. Very good zone awareness and nice anticipation. Reliable tackler. Team player. Great worker. Solid character.

Negatives: Has a thin build and is not very physical. Lacks strength. Speed is barely adequate and shows a limited burst. Lacks top corner quickness. Struggles in press coverage and seldom gets his hands on and redirects receivers.

Summary: Does not have great natural ability, but he grades out as a winner. Very alert when challenged and more often than not rose to the occasion. Would consider moving inside to free safety but may not be able to fill the alley or hold up physically. Will never be great, but his intelligence, football instincts and ball skills will give him a chance to land in the pros.

12.5 sacks last year, so I am intrigured too. Knock on him seems to be that he is neither very strong nor very fast. But some players are productive even if they aren't super athletes so he should be interesting to watch.

it's funny I wanted him drafted starting from our 5th round pick, i was keeping track of his status the whole draft, and we didn't even need to waste 1 of our picks on him. Very nice, the kid has some potential, I could see him starting in a couple of years.

My family and I were excited to see Terry Caulley has become an official Skin. He went to high school down here in Calvert County (Patuxent High) and graduated with our second oldest daughter. He was amazing to watch not only on the football field but as a member of the indoor and outdoor track team as well. I believe some of the kids called him "Spiderman". He probably won't get much playing time but it's nice to see a hometown hero on the roster.

I'm excited about this guy as well. Sounds like a Fred Smoot type.

Here's an in-depth report from PFW:

CB John Talley

(5-11, 176, 4.55e)

Positives: Smart and experienced with good instincts. Has excellent hands and very good ball skills. Has a solid pedal, good feet, good change of direction and quick hips. Shows surprisingly solid man-cover skills and the ability to read, anticipate and get positioning on routes. Very good zone awareness and nice anticipation. Reliable tackler. Team player. Great worker. Solid character.

Negatives: Has a thin build and is not very physical. Lacks strength. Speed is barely adequate and shows a limited burst. Lacks top corner quickness. Struggles in press coverage and seldom gets his hands on and redirects receivers.

Summary: Does not have great natural ability, but he grades out as a winner. Very alert when challenged and more often than not rose to the occasion. Would consider moving inside to free safety but may not be able to fill the alley or hold up physically. Will never be great, but his intelligence, football instincts and ball skills will give him a chance to land in the pros.

Wow. This kid sounds like a good player to come in and challenge at corner. You know Williams loves corners...so maybe he has a shot to make the team.

Archived