Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we keep Springs...

BALLz

...what do you think his role will be. Alot of people think he is still a top corner in this league as long as he is healthy. To me, it doesn't make sence to move him to saftey if that's the case. I don't see any saftey we could draft that would come in and make an immediate impact(maybe landry but even that might be a stretch). Wouldn't we be better off trying to moves Rogers or Smoot to saftey. I don't know if they would like the idea but it's just a thought. That way we still have our 3 best cover guys on the field at all times and we can keep Springs on their #1.

How do you guys think these 3 should be handled.

If Springs is healthy, he's our number 1 corner. The battle in mini camp will be between Smoot and Rogers.

However, it wouldn't surprise me to see Springs in a free safety type role at some point, like what the Raiders did with Rod Woodson.

he'll be our "guess the injury each week" guy. each week we can figure out just why hes missing time, then make 100 threads about it.

honestly, i hope we dump him, his good days are long gone. id loooooove to get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. if we traded down with our #6 and got rid of springs for a higher pick, we could potentially have a full draft, which is an insane thought.

If Springs is healthy, I think he'll be a starter and lock onto the other teams best receiver. GW always says there is no number one, but Springs would be our shut down corner, if healthy.

As far as the others are concerned, I think we should alternate between Smoot and Rogers, to keep both of them fresh, until one of them shows that they have a strong lead above the other. Macklin should remain our Dime back.

If we keep Springs, I hope we play the crap out of him and work him until the wheels fall off. Its a given that he is going to get injured, so we need to get the most out of his production for what we plan on paying him this year. Play him every down until his inevidable injury, then IR him and bring up somone. The other option is to embalm him, wrap him in toilet paper like the enemy on Thundercats... Mumra. We can use him in dire situations... it would be like unleashing the secret weapon! The aging... injury prone... secret... weapon? :doh:

I say if we cant unload him and his huge contract on someone this year, then we play him till the wheels fall off.

As far as the others go, I like Smoot, Rogers, and Macklin, with Jimoh or a june 1st cut bringing up the rear. I just hope Rogers has better hands this season, his picks could be game changers and the difference we need to turn the tide.

According to Pastabelly's Tip Sheet:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2850900

"The Redskins have offered cornerback Shawn Springs around, including in a proposed package to move up to Detroit's spot with the second overall selection in the draft. But the Lions didn't bite on Springs and neither has anyone else so far"

Looks like he'll be staying.

he'll be our "guess the injury each week" guy. each week we can figure out just why hes missing time, then make 100 threads about it.

honestly, i hope we dump him, his good days are long gone. id loooooove to get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. if we traded down with our #6 and got rid of springs for a higher pick, we could potentially have a full draft, which is an insane thought.

hahaha, dude you love ripping on his injuries. i love it.

i still think he's got another good year in him but i'm not overlooking that he does get injured.

Your optimism is so refreshing! :doh:

you guy's are funny. I mean, I think Springs stays if he plays safety but it makes me wonder with all of the DB's we picked up in FA. Think about it...Smoot, Macklin, Stoutmire...I still think Springs may be bye bye but I hope not. If he stays, how can he not be considered for the free safety spot, unless he doesn't know the position as well. I honestly am so confused about what we're doing at the DB spots. Sure we have depth at the position, but what's the plan? Who knows, I guess GW will figure that out.

HTTR

danny should start making Shawn Springs action figures. and anytime the figure is touched it breaks apart. accessories sold separately!

sideline crutches - $4.99

official shawn springs wheelchair - $9.99

removable cast (fits arms and legs) - $1.99 per cast (2 per package)

im telling you this could take off.

LMAO, that's good stuff.

Here is my opinion on springs:

1. When Healthy he is cleary our top corner and still plays at a high level

2. He is not healthy often

3. His contract number is huge this year and even larger in 08

4. This makes me beleive there is a 0% chance he plays here in 08 (makes me hate these back loaded deals so much, where guys have to leave before we win anything)

5. This means in 08 we will need another top corner and another reserve corner (Neither rogers nor smoot is a shutdown corner, smoot is good, and rogers is servicable, macklin is only here on a one year deal.)

6. Because we need to sign a new top corner in 08, we might as well get rid of sprinsgt his year, as we are not winning the superbowl this season, so lets cut our losses, acquire some picks, and start building for 08

If we don't draft a pass rusher,we will need Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Taylor, Prioleau, and Stoutamier all to start. We could use a 3 man line with two LB's covering the RB and the TE. We'll need the six back package because of the extra time the opposing QB will have. I really wanted to call this the "six pack".

If we don't draft a pass rusher,we will need Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Taylor, Prioleau, and Stoutamier all to start. We could use a 3 man line with two LB's covering the RB and the TE. We'll need the six back package because of the extra time the opposing QB will have. I really wanted to call this the "six pack".
Lol the six pack

Springs is without a doubt our best CB. I fear what we would do without him. (You saw how aweful our passing defense was with out him last year.) But if they really want to drop his cap hit and also trade up for Calvin Johnson, Springs may be the key to that.

That would leave us with no number one shut down (or at least close to it) corner. Smoot is only a top tier number 2 in reality, and I see Carlos as the NFLs best nickelback. Until Rogers learns how to catch, he'll never be worth the high draft pick he was selected with. Hopefully that changes this year as he works out in the offseason.

I shudder at the thought of having to rely on Rogers and Smoot as our starting CBs.

If Springs goes we had better re-think our plans for pass defense real soon, if he stays I'm quite comfortable with our back 7 and we can focus on the front 4.

I think ST is great, but for the last couple years S. Springs is our best DB IMO. Yes he missed games last year but for those he was healthy we looked like the top ten defense from the 2 previous years (Carolina/NO). When he was hurt and unable to play we sucked on D. Now hopefully he is ok., WTF are so many on here ready to get rid of him? I understand he is due a big salary this year but if we release or trade him we still need someone to shutdown a top WR on the opponet and who do we have to take his place if he was to go? I really like Smooter back in B&G but to date he has not proven to be a CB of the same caliber of SS, Baily or Green.

Archived