Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One person who has had the most positive affect on the Redskins organization...

Commander Adama

I think the fans have already spoken:

http://www.redskins.com/team/history-70.jsp;jsessionid=DKBOFKCEHJIB

Please take the time to review The List :read:

Although, no owners or GMs are on the list, the Squire is my #1, with Beathard high on my list, also.

Slingin' Sammy got my Dad into the Skins (and hence me .. and then my daughters), so he is my #2

:helmet: The Rook

I'd have to say either Vince Lombardi or George Allen. They were the ones who turned us into a winning franchise. Otherwise its a tossup as far as what you're grading based on.

lombardi? great coach and all but he was here for ONE year. he had VERY little to do with turning the Skins into anything. our record under lombardi..7-5-2. yeah he was paramount in our rise to glory.

lombardi? great coach and all but he was here for ONE year. he had VERY little to do with turning the Skins into anything. our record under lombardi..7-5-2. yeah he was paramount in our rise to glory.

Yeah, but that was the Redskins's first winning season since 55. Thats a big accomplishment. He kinda introduced this area to what its like to win.

This is from Wikipedia on Vince Lombardi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Lombardi

Lombardi stepped down as head coach of the Packers following the 1967 NFL season, staying on as the team's general manager for 1968. He handed off the head coaching position to Phil Bengtson, a longtime assistant, but the Packers finished at 6-7-1 and out of the 4 team NFL playoffs. Lombardi returned to coaching in 1969, this time with the Washington Redskins, where he broke a string of 14 losing seasons. Their record was 7-5-2, just two ties short of 9-5. The team was significant for a number of reasons. Lombardi discovered that rookie running back Larry Brown was deaf in one ear, something his parents, schoolteachers, and previous coaches had overlooked. He had observed Brown's habit of tilting his head in one direction when listening to signals being called, and walked behind him during drills and said "Larry". When Brown did not answer, the coach asked him to take a hearing exam. Brown was fitted with a hearing aid.

Lombardi was the first coach to get soft-bellied quarterback Sonny Jurgensen, one of the league's premier forward passers, to get into the best condition he could. He coaxed former All-Pro linebacker Sam Huff out of retirement. He even changed the team's uniform design to reflect that of the Packers (with gold and white trim along the jersey biceps, and later a gold helmet. The foundation Lombardi laid was the groundwork for Washington's early 1970's success under former Ram Coach George Allen. Lombardi had brought a winning attitude to the Nation's Capital, in the same year that Maryland University basketball hired "Lefty" Driesell and the hapless Washington Senators named Ted Williams as manager. It marked a renaissance in sports interest in one of America's most transient cities.

Yeah, but that was the Redskins's first winning season since 55. Thats a big accomplishment. He kinda introduced this area to what its like to win.

big deal. ONE year means nothing compared to what Gibbs did. as far as the Washington Redskins are concerned Gibbs > lombardi. all day every day.

How about Bobby Kennedy - He forced Marshall to sign a black player to the squad. The Skins were THE JOKE of the NFL thanks to GPM during the 50s and 60s. Bobby Mitchell, who arrived because of RFK's threats to boot the Whiteskins out of their stadium, was the guy whose arrival started the long journey back from the wilderness.

I totally agree! If JKC :notworthy had not taken a chance on Gibbs, what would have the history of our beloved Skins been like?

Oh it would have been like the Norv years for 20 years straight. We would have been fighting teams for the #1 draft pick.

If Cooke begat Beathard and Beathard begat Gibbs (not to mention all the great players) how does Gibbs end up on top?

he is the common denomenator in ALL of our SB victories. without Gibbs who knows. im not taking anything away from anyone else but the ONE person in all of Redskins history that has done the most? please.

Archived