Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article: CJ once-in-a-lifetime

Dirk Diggler

Polamalu is just a good cover guy

now your kidding right? The guys a playmaker, period.

Sean Taylor, I love his 1st 2 years but this past year, for whatever reason he missed a lot of plays.

And as for Reed, Im beyond a homer and all... But Im not sure I would take Taylor over Reed. Granted, the surrounding talent has a lot to do with it. But of these 2, which can you say you would call better? Reed as many INT's in his 3rd season as Taylor has in his career...

We don't need CJ to be a great offense, seriously, stop smoking crack. Trading Portis for #2, which won't happen, cause runningbacks are a dime a dozen, and Detroit already has runningbacks aplenty just won't happen. Secondly, we will get outbid for CJ, Tampa has way more to offer. Look at the chargers, they got good by trading "can't miss" players for loads of picks, Vick and Eli. I'd rather trade CJ for 2 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders then have him on our team. that'd give us 7 great players from this draft and next years. CJ ain't gonna be putting up 30 touchdowns to equal the contribution of those other guys.

CJ, Portis, Moss, Cooley, JC, Lloyd, Betts is just wrong!

that is 7 players....so that leaves enough room for 4 linemen?? All the while Sellers and ARE (11 mill) ride the pine?

Guys adding CJ gives us too many offensive players, too much money is going to be locked into players (ARE, Lloyd ect) that other holes on this team will not be filled for a looong time. ONly 11 guys can play offense at once

I really don't think that C.J. will be there at 6. Figure if anything, the kid's sitting on all 5 teams ahead of the Skins draft boards as the BPA. And as others have stated, the price to get that guy probably is, or is going to be anyway, way to high to pay. I wouldn't yell or scream if he fell to number 6 and the Skins drafted him. Though I may be a little put out that the team didn't get a DLman.

This all said with the thought the Redskins don't find a reasonable way to trade down.

that is 7 players....so that leaves enough room for 4 linemen?? All the while Sellers and ARE (11 mill) ride the pine?

Guys adding CJ gives us too many offensive players, too much money is going to be locked into players (ARE, Lloyd ect) that other holes on this team will not be filled for a looong time. ONly 11 guys can play offense at once

Yet there are 53 spots on the team? I don't think a team can ever have too many good players, and as for Lloyd: Lloyd has made just as many touchdown catches for the Redskins as Johnson has.

He's a cross between Randy Moss and Terrell Owens – bigger than Moss, faster than Owens.

Here's a disquieting note: would you want either of those players on your team? I'm not saying CJ is a problem child like them, but think of all the can't-miss receivers you've heard about for years. Did any of them singlehandedly turn his team into a winner?

I think CJ is a fantastic talent. But the Skins just can't afford to draft a receiver (or quarterback, or offensive lineman, or running back) at #6. They just have too many needs elsewhere. CJ would look great in burgundy and gold, but he wouldn't make the Skins much better.

Go back and watch the tape from last year. How many times did you think, "If only we had a field-stretching receiver..." Not often, I'm guessing. Sure, I wish he was the one catching Jason Campbell's sure-touchdown first pass against Tampa Bay, but the season was over by that point.

What we were saying, more often than not, had something to do with coaching, quarterbacking, or defense. We can't draft a coach. We can't draft a quarterback (unless we're suicidal). So we have to draft defense.

wasnt reggie bush once in a lifetime talent to come out?

CJ is nothing compared to what bush was in college.

Yeah Reggie was a once in a lifetime talent coming out, but he was once in a lifetime for a RUNNING BACK. He was being compared to the great Gale Sayers. How long ago did Gale play. That was before my LIFETIME began.

So compared to Bush yes he is on the same level. Not to mention that he was the only real stand out player on his team. Whereas Reggie had an all-star, all-american team.

Calvin had Ga.Tech besides Reggie Ball who else is close to being 2nd or 3rd team all american.

Compared by talent that they have for their respected positions.

Yeah Reggie was a once in a lifetime talent coming out, but he was once in a lifetime for a RUNNING BACK. He was being compared to the great Gale Sayers. How long ago did Gale play. That was before my LIFETIME began.

So compared to Bush yes he is on the same level. Not to mention that he was the only real stand out player on his team. Whereas Reggie had an all-star, all-american team.

Calvin had Ga.Tech besides Reggie Ball who else is close to being 2nd or 3rd team all american.

Compared by talent that they have for their respected positions.

bush>CJ

wasnt reggie bush once in a lifetime talent to come out?

CJ is nothing compared to what bush was in college.

CJ is more hyped up than Bush now. And the way you made your point above, it seems like you're implying that Bush didn't and is not going to live up to the hype. If you watched any NO games last year, he is all that and a bag of chips - the man is just a freak of nature.

Yet there are 53 spots on the team? I don't think a team can ever have too many good players, and as for Lloyd: Lloyd has made just as many touchdown catches for the Redskins as Johnson has.
Yea i agree with you, having good players is good. You took what i said out of context. Here you go:

adding CJ gives us too many offensive players, too much money is going to be locked into players (ARE, Lloyd ect) that other holes on this team will not be filled for a looong time.

Notice, how i am talking about all these players at 1 position means that the rest of our 53 man roster would then be weaker.

4 high paid WRs when you have a stellar tight end doesnt make too much sense, especially on a run first team. But hey i guess you wouldnt mind having a 53 man roster made of 53 Wrs? Or how about if you could have 8 high paid QBs? Maybe that team has too many good players. Yes extreme examples, but the ever is extreme as well.

it seems like you're implying that Bush didn't and is not going to live up to the hype. If you watched any NO games last year, he is all that and a bag of chips - the man is just a freak of nature.

Woa, Bush is good and i think he will improve and possibly be great but to say he has lived up to the hype already?

This guy was taken number 2 overall, the number 1 rated player. He was a monster in college, go watch some highlights.

Tell me what he did that makes him so much better than Jones-Drew? Or how about Joe Addia. Bush wasnt even the best rookie on his team last year, ok this point is debatable, but that is the point, you can debate who was better.

I like Bush and all but against our porous defense how well did he do in that game?

You can't CJ isn't comparable to Bush, they both have received the same amount of hype at their respective positions. So CJ could turn out to be just as much help to us as Bush was to the Saints. Difference is he wont touch the ball 20-30 times a game.

Great article. I just want to say that I am currently a student at Va Tech and I watch all their football games. We had a top 5 defense last year in the NCAA and Calvin Johnson made us look real bad. His stats are for real, the Skins should take him.

Great article. I just want to say that I am currently a student at Va Tech and I watch all their football games. We had a top 5 defense last year in the NCAA and Calvin Johnson made us look real bad. His stats are for real, the Skins should take him.

Great point. He made a lot of great defensive teams and players look bad. This is what seperates his from prior WR busts.

:logo:

CJ may just tear up the NFL turf, then again if he gets on a team that cannot get him on the field, then it is a waste. How often was our D on the field last year ?

I would rather we shorten that time by having a tough D, than a superstar reciever who wont see but 10 mins of playtime in a game. /shrugs

This is actually a really good point I hadn't thought of before. I remember thinking last year about how much our defense had to stay on the field. However, our offense was a HUGE part of that. We had so many 3-and-outs last year it was ridiculous. Possilbe cure? A huge WR who can make the catch to move the chains.

I know this improved towards the end of the season, we were better able to keep drives alive, but everyone is also forgetting (or ignoring) how consistent Andre Carter was at the end of the season. Carter had 4 sacks in 5 games. That is pro-bowl level. Why are we so encouraged by the progression of our offense but not by Andre??

P.S. I'd be willing to dish out Lloyd, ARE, Springs, Washington and Marshall to move up. We could spare all of them (Not all of them together obviously, but maybe one or two of them) since they play the positions that everyone on these boards say we are set at.

bush>CJ

Vince Young > Bush

CJ > every other WR in the draft

Point is if we can pull off a CJ trade up to get him (if oakland doesn't slap us all in the face and draft him) then awesome if not we draft @ 6 or trade down, either way we will be helping our team in one way or another......

:doh:

Man, the ACC was soo good this past season. What was the highest team in that conference ranked at the end of the year, oh yea 17. Damn powerhouse conference. I mean obviously no one in the other conferences plays any defense.

:doh: Yea which players this past season did he play agaisnt on Sunday???

that means absolutely nothing. miami had what the fourth ranked defense in the country last year? their offense was horrible. same with florida state. there is a lot of talent in that conference. dont let the record fool you.

A little fuel for the pro trade-up crowd.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/041507dnsponfldraftlede.331cf04.html

Johnson is the consensus best player in the 2007 NFL draft – a physical specimen who could rewrite the league's prototype for the position. He has only one flaw – his position. There's an NFL belief that you can find receiver talent deep in the draft.

But few can match Johnson's physique and talent. He's a cross between Randy Moss and Terrell Owens – bigger than Moss, faster than Owens.

Johnson is a giant by NFL standards at 6-5, 239 pounds. At the NFL scouting combine at Indianapolis in February, he decided to run a 40-yard dash at the last minute and scorched the turf in 4.35 seconds.

The fastest cornerback in this draft is Chris Houston of Arkansas. He runs a 4.32 – but he's seven inches shorter and 54 pounds lighter than Johnson.

Johnson showed the explosion in his legs at his campus workout in March with a 42½-inch vertical jump. Michigan's Leon Hall, the top-rated cornerback in this draft, has a vertical of only 37½ inches – and he's six inches shorter and 46 pounds lighter than Johnson.

Didn't they say this about Ryan Leaf? About Michael Westbrook?

Just say no

We need to get him. Do anything and everything that is necesarry, just make it ****ing happen!
im glad you not the one in charge because if CJ even looked like a bad desicision 3 years from now you would look very stupid

and another thing the redskins are a RUN FIRST TEAM so why would we spend so much into a number two WR that has never played a down in the NFL?

there are other needs that we need to get fixed like OL and DL(yea remmember who gave up all those yards to Travis Henry?

Once in a lifetime player or not, I am trying to find one Patriots player they drafted that was "once in a lifetime", or even if not that, a "can't miss" player. I'm trying to find one player with almost as much hype that the Colts passed. In fact, they didn't trade up to draft Ryan Leaf the year Peyton was, both were uber-hyped up, if not more than Johnson. The Colts could have pulled something dumb and traded for Leaf.

Can't miss player or not, you don't draft him if you are not in a position too. Oh BTW, why didn't the Bears make a play for Lavar Arrington back in 2000, he was certainly hyped to be the next Lawerence Taylor, nah, they stuck with "consolation prize" Brian Urlacher....

there are other needs that we need to get fixed like OL and DL(yea remmember who gave up all those yards to Travis Henry?

And Norwood, Barber, Williams etc. etc..

I want CJ like the rest do but I would rather draft some taller WR later in the draft and take our chances. Another WR, regardless of who it is will get a better chance anyway since opposing teams already are watching Santana, ARE and of course Cooley. Not to mention the fact we have one of, if not the best tandem back set in the league.

Our NEED is defense. Our offense was pulling it together down the stretch and I really do feel comfortable with them, we just need to be more capable on D. Rather we trade down and grab a couple of decent D-Line guys or grab one of the numerously mentioned favorites of you guys it doesnt matter to me but I at least want more depth on the line.

Oh yeah, as for people comparing Urlacher to Arrington... Urlacher has an easier schedule the LA had. Thats the only comparison I will make.

Archived