Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article: CJ once-in-a-lifetime

Dirk Diggler

A little fuel for the pro trade-up crowd.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/041507dnsponfldraftlede.331cf04.html

Johnson is the consensus best player in the 2007 NFL draft – a physical specimen who could rewrite the league's prototype for the position. He has only one flaw – his position. There's an NFL belief that you can find receiver talent deep in the draft.

But few can match Johnson's physique and talent. He's a cross between Randy Moss and Terrell Owens – bigger than Moss, faster than Owens.

Johnson is a giant by NFL standards at 6-5, 239 pounds. At the NFL scouting combine at Indianapolis in February, he decided to run a 40-yard dash at the last minute and scorched the turf in 4.35 seconds.

The fastest cornerback in this draft is Chris Houston of Arkansas. He runs a 4.32 – but he's seven inches shorter and 54 pounds lighter than Johnson.

Johnson showed the explosion in his legs at his campus workout in March with a 42½-inch vertical jump. Michigan's Leon Hall, the top-rated cornerback in this draft, has a vertical of only 37½ inches – and he's six inches shorter and 46 pounds lighter than Johnson.

Nice find. I have laughed at teams chasing the top receivers in the draft over the last ten years. Probably because many were from either the little 10 or the pac 10.

But I feel completly opposite about CJ. Of course the physical skills and character speak for themselves--they are unreal. But I think the fact that he played in the ACC....and played against the burner cornerbacks at Miami(Devon), FSU(several) and also played against Va Tech and Georgia every season tell me that his stats are for real.

He didn't rack them up against Michigan State and Oregon. The guy racked them up against cornerbacks and safeties that start on Sunday in the NFL....huge difference.

I just hope we can get him.

:logo:

I am in favor of the Skins trying to get Calvin Johnson. I think he is the type of receiver we need to complement a small, speed guy like Moss and I think he will be very good in the NFL very soon. However, that is just my opinion and like everyone else's view on the situation it is just opinion. I wonder how many other prospects have been "can't miss" and "once in a lifetime." I wonder what they said about Desmond Howard coming out of college. All I'm saying is beware the hype.

if you ever watch highlight videos of CJ, he would absolutely kill Clemson and in most of them he is killing Tye Hill, a first round draft pick last year....

Great post......and the key difference between CJ and Braylon Edwards, Williams, Desmond Howard....etc.

He racked up the stats against NFL talent.

Great post......and the key difference between CJ and Braylon Edwards, Williams, Desmond Howard....etc.

He racked up the stats against NFL talent.

Its so hard to say this after your posts about Betts being as good or better than CP but you are right about this one. CJ is different than the rest and I would love to see him in a Redskin's jersey. The ACC, SEC and Big 12 often have better cornerback play and its easier to truly evaluate the WRs in those conferences.

I caught the tail end of the NFL Network program about the Top Ten draft trades of all time. #1 was the 49ers moving up ahead of Dallas to draft Jerry Rice. Then I started to rethink my stance on Calvin Johnson.

Until the replay of the Titans-Skins game from last year came on, and I am back to reality. We need defensive line help more than we need CJ. I can't imagine having to win every game 41-38. ;)

Nice find. I have laughed at teams chasing the top receivers in the draft over the last ten years. Probably because many were from either the little 10 or the pac 10.

But I feel completly opposite about CJ. Of course the physical skills and character speak for themselves--they are unreal. But I think the fact that he played in the ACC

:doh:

Man, the ACC was soo good this past season. What was the highest team in that conference ranked at the end of the year, oh yea 17. Damn powerhouse conference. I mean obviously no one in the other conferences plays any defense.

The guy racked them up against cornerbacks and safeties that start on Sunday in the NFL....huge difference.

:doh: Yea which players this past season did he play agaisnt on Sunday???

Its so hard to say this after your posts about Betts being as good or better than CP but you are right about this one. CJ is different than the rest and I would love to see him in a Redskin's jersey. The ACC, SEC and Big 12 often have better cornerback play and its easier to truly evaluate the WRs in those conferences.

No hard feelings......I don't think Betts is better. I think Betts plus CJ plus a stud on the defensive line at 6 combined are better. Have a great weekend.

Until the replay of the Titans-Skins game from last year came on, and I am back to reality. We need defensive line help more than we need CJ. I can't imagine having to win every game 41-38. ;)

:applause:

T. Henry 32 rushes for 178yds

Campbell needs a big target across the middle, CJ would be perfect. Lets just not forget why we really sucked this past season.

what it all really comes down to:

Do they go for defensive line help, or do they go for someone (CJ) who can help campbell's progression. you cannot say that having a 6'5 240 pound LB will hurt his development.

if gibbs thinks fletcher is the solution, then they may very well go after CJ

I don't imagine there's a Redskins fan anywhere who wouldn't love the idea of seeing Calvin Johnson opposite Santana Moss, with Chris Cooley underneath and Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis in the backfield. It's the stuff NFL offseason wet dreams are made of.

But the cost of trading up to get him is likely so prohibitive that I've made myself take the necessary cold shower and remember we still mostly live in the real world. :)

I don't imagine there's a Redskins fan anywhere who wouldn't love the idea of seeing Calvin Johnson opposite Santana Moss, with Chris Cooley underneath and Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis in the backfield. It's the stuff NFL offseason wet dreams are made of.

But the cost of trading up to get him is likely so prohibitive that I've made myself take the necessary cold shower and remember we still mostly live in the real world. :)

I'm in a similar frame of mind. But what if we could get it done for our 1st rounder this year and our 1st and 3rd next year? That's too much for some people but a risk worth taking for others. Those "others" just might be Joe Gibbs and Dan Snyder considering the way this team devalues draft picks.

Om....take one minute and look at the proposal suggested on this thread.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195929

Page 3, specifically, to save you time. The idea is original, hasn't been posted anywhere else on this site, and would allow us to have everything we want: Calvin Johnson, a stud defensive lineman at the 6 spot, and virutally all of our draft choices next season. Unfortunately, the poster has nnt, so I don't think many people will find it. Refreshing to say the least.

I understand the hype surrounding Calvin Johnson, he is a great prospect and deserves to be drafted very high, but a close to home word of caution about this type of talk.

Similar things about being a once in a lifetime type prospect were being said about Sean Taylor when he came out a few years ago. I think Taylor is a very good player, but look around the league at young players like Polamalu, Bob Sanders, Ed Reed etc and its hard to say he was really a once in a lifetime type player.

I'm in a similar frame of mind. But what if we could get it done for our 1st rounder this year and our 1st and 3rd next year? That's too much for some people but a risk worth taking for others. Those "others" just might be Joe Gibbs and Dan Snyder considering the way this team devalues draft picks.

Guess it would come down to how confident I was that next years 1st would be somewhere in the 20's as opposed to the rarified air of 6.

Which brings in to play how confident I am that the DL really wasn't the main problem on D last year.

And how confident I am that the starting SS is already on the roster and capable of stopping last year's bleeding there.

And whether or not S. Springs is in the equation.

And .....

Goddammit. :)

I am not so sure about this guy.

In this artice about an alternate CB someposted here

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10123560

this guy held CJ to 2 catches and 19 yards

I also watched some video of him and in the 20ish videos of him doing things I dont think I saw him break a tackle. He gets his, he falls ... or so it appeared.

I guess I am in the crowd that wants to see the opposing QB get sacked often by a killer rusher. I really am unsure if we should pay the money that will be asked for at #6 for one, but I am sure the team that drafts at #6 will have an idea.

CJ may just tear up the NFL turf, then again if he gets on a team that cannot get him on the field, then it is a waste. How often was our D on the field last year ?

I would rather we shorten that time by having a tough D, than a superstar reciever who wont see but 10 mins of playtime in a game. /shrugs

Om....take one minute and look at the proposal suggested on this thread.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195929

Page 3, specifically, to save you time. The idea is original, hasn't been posted anywhere else on this site, and would allow us to have everything we want: Calvin Johnson, a stud defensive lineman at the 6 spot, and virutally all of our draft choices next season. Unfortunately, the poster has nnt, so I don't think many people will find it. Refreshing to say the least.

If you're talking about a post of yours in that thread that starts with "trading Portis," I think I'll answer by letting this non-answer serve as my answer. :)

Archived