Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article: CJ once-in-a-lifetime

Dirk Diggler

Kinda sounds like this guy from 2 years ago:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2025109

" Jones is a freak. Let's just remind you of his measurables again, as now officially recorded from his scouting combine and pro day workouts.

Height: 6-6ΒΌ

Weight: 242

40 time (hand-timed): 4.37 and 4.39

40 time (electronic): 4.40

Vertical jump: 39.5 inches

Standing broad jump: 10 feet, 9 inches

This isn't really a great analogy. Jones had never, ever before played the WR position at any level. He then had to learn it at the HIGHEST level where many WRs who dominated college - fail miserably. Jones is at the very extreme of the spectrum for players who have little to no proven ability on the field vs. phenomenal workout measurables. With Jones, you only had 50% of the equation answered. Though most scouts would argue that grading prospects is 80% tape and 20% measurables - making Jones even more of a wild card.

With CJ, you're looking at a guy who, pardon the cliche, has it all. He's bulletproof. On the field, off the field, at the combine, etc.

Boldin had 101 catches his rookie year. Fitzgerald had 103 in 05. Cardinals didn't have a running game a QB or a good OL. Their defense was the only bright spot outside of the 2 WR's, and that wasn't that good.

No QB? You realize Kurt Warner threw for almost 5000 yards in 05?! They went 6-10. So they go out and pick up E. James. Guess what? Went 6-10 again with all the firepower.

We have probably the best running game when healthy, damn good OL and the D is still good despite 1 tragic season. CJ would have a bigger impact than you think he would in the overall offensive production.

The D-line sucks. How you cant see that is mind-boggleing. We look to have filled the other holes we had on defence (saftey, OLB, MLB) that created a historicly bad defense. Im sorry, you dont SET RECORDS FOR BAD AS A FLUKE. And because we ARE solid on the Offensive front is why he wont have a big impact. He is going to be at best the 3rd option in the gameplan, if not the 4th or 5th option (behind Portis, Moss, Betts and Cooley). So no, I dont see him getting 100 balls. Closer to 60-70. Not a major impact.

So then you would agree Golston when he got in was pretty solid right? Montgomery could be a nice surprise for us this year. Check out Walter Thomas especially if you are in the Branch camp. Late round steal? I hope we get him. :cheers:

I like Golston as a 1 gap, yes. I dont like Montgomery, I think he's camp fodder at this point and I think Joe is only depth at the 2 gap. And I think we are worse at LDE. I've been one of the people kinda pushing Thomas since the end of last year as a 2 gap DT. If we get Walter Thomas and he turns into a solid player and a space eater that would be great, but it wont wouldnt bank on that. And you still have the problem with LDE.

When you play in a bad conference that is having a down year it is not hard to make your defense stats look better. Comeon the Pac 10 is legit as is the Big 10, way tougher conferences than the ACC.

Who would i rather see CJ go agaisnt Wake Forest (top ACC team) or OSU or USC?

I was about to give you the stupidest post of the year award....but then saw that you are only 20 years old.

I will fill you in on one interesting stat about the pac 10 that I am sure you are too young to know:

Aside from USC, no team in the pac 10 has won an outright national title in 66 years.

66 years. Conferences simply don't get any worse than that.

Washington did split a natl title with Miami 16 years ago....but that is the toughest competiton USC has faced in that conference in 66 years.

Now please tell me how USC steamrolling over those patsies most years is supposed to get respect from anybody??

:logo:

Archived