Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook owes the Feables money?

Kurd Cudins

Dude, do you have any proof of what you say? Let it play out. This is bascially a non-story in my mind.

OK Westbrook was overpaid 3 million dollars, he hasn't payed it back. The Eagles are over the cap and have been. They file so that they won't be punished for being over the cap. If Westbrook pays the 3 million back he is stuck for the taxes he paid, since the Eagles can not pay the taxes or they will be over the cap again. I suspect there is a story in here somewhere. :silly: :laugh:

there is the final word then....

NOTHING TO SEE HERE PEOPLE! An Eagles fan said this is a non-story :silly:

Well of course I will play it down, just like you guys will try to play it up. Listen, I realize that $3 million is a lot of money and that a mistake like this is unusual to say the least. I don't understand what the big deal is if the Eagles get reimbursed by Westbrook, which they will.

Well of course I will play it down, just like you guys will try to play it up. Listen, I realize that $3 million is a lot of money and that a mistake like this is unusual to say the least. I don't understand what the big deal is if the Eagles get reimbursed by Westbrook, which they will.
The big deal is I don't recall something like this ever being uncovered and the league may come down hard on the "over sight". There are many ways teams, players and agents try to circumvent league rules. The salary cap is one of the major ones. The Eagles could be faced with major league sanctions!

Bummer :silly:

The big deal is I don't recall something like this ever being uncovered and the league may come down hard on the "over sight". There are many ways teams, players and agents try to circumvent league rules. The salary cap is one of the major ones. The Eagles could be faced with major league sanctions!

Bummer :silly:

the Bronco's got nailed for a "mistake" payment to Elway, and I think the 49ers also got busted as well for forgettig they already paid a player

Shouldn't matter if they get reimbursed, they need to still be punished for it. The league cannot let this slide by. Inadvertently breaking a rule is still breaking a rule. It would have been one thing if they immediately pounced on the error (if it was actually an error, which is highly doubtful) and revoked the payment. But the payment lingered in Westbrook's account for awhile.

Lot's of teams/programs/etc. have been penalized for "innocent" mistakes. If the NFL lets this go, they will create a GIANT loophole through which to pay players. If it doesn't get detected, the player gets a nice big additional bonus and the team retains a player with a lesser cap hit. If it gets detected, "WHOOPS! We didn't mean to give him that money. He'll just pay us back and can keep the interest for his trouble...".

The Eagles need to feel pain on this one. What happens if that additional $3M payment put them over last year's cap? That would be a cap penalty in addition to an undisclosed payment to a player.

Probably several other charges we could tack on as well... :cool:

Shouldn't matter if they get reimbursed, they need to still be punished for it. The league cannot let this slide by. Inadvertently breaking a rule is still breaking a rule. It would have been one thing if they immediately pounced on the error (if it was actually an error, which is highly doubtful) and revoked the payment. But the payment lingered in Westbrook's account for awhile.

Lot's of teams/programs/etc. have been penalized for "innocent" mistakes. If the NFL lets this go, they will create a GIANT loophole through which to pay players. If it doesn't get detected, the player gets a nice big additional bonus and the team retains a player with a lesser cap hit. If it gets detected, "WHOOPS! We didn't mean to give him that money. He'll just pay us back and can keep the interest for his trouble...".

The Eagles need to feel pain on this one. What happens if that additional $3M payment put them over last year's cap? That would be a cap penalty in addition to an undisclosed payment to a player.

Probably several other charges we could tack on as well... :cool:

Well, we'll see what happens, but every article I've read said that the Eagles won't be losing any picks. So I really don't know what, if anything, will go down.

Well, we'll see what happens, but every article I've read said that the Eagles won't be losing any picks. So I really don't know what, if anything, will go down.

Again, as Sonny said, if the Eagles are allowed to simply slide on this what would stop other teams in the future of doing the same thing. Even if the Eagles simply made a mistake it not only does not look good, but the Eagles should be punished for at the very least having stupid accountants. Doesn't appear that the other 31 teams are that stupid.

So westbrook getting the interest on 3 million and the eagles getting their three mill back is no problem? We all know the eagles will get away with this but it reeks of something fishy. Or will Westy have to pay back the interest too? The eagles should lose 3 million just for being dumb, if this was just a mistake someone in charge might be out of their mind stupid.

I'm actually concerned about this. Once Westbrook pays the team back, they still will face punishement from the league which will result in loss of picks and/or fines.

My guess is the league will remove any supplemental picks the team has accured, a min of 25,000 fine, and possible additional picks for next season.

This is impossible. The Eagles FO is cheap. They don't spend all of their money because they don't reallly want to win. How on earth could they pay the same guy twice? How are they over the cap with this move? Something is fishy.

Oh yeah, everyone not a Skins fan is saying the Eagles won't be docked draft picks; let me know if it ever happens. Spinning wheels over nothing.

Nobody has mentioned this - but what about Westbrook's relationship with the team? Now they are filing a grievance against him for their error? What, they don't trust him to pay it back on his own? That seems kind of effed up in my opinion.

They filed the grievance to register the issue with the league so they'd not have to forfeit draft picks. Westy has acknowleded the overpayment and, through his agent, has said he is paying the team back.

Archived