Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone think Jones' suspension conditions are a bit ridiculous

ClemsSC7Skinfan

I understand the commish is making an example out of someone who has made it very easy to have that example carried out on them (both Henry & Jones). However, neither to my knowledge have been convicted of the first felony as of yet and some charges are still pending even. I'm not in any way taking up for the players on their conduct but more so critiquing the conditions of his (pacman's) suspension.

• He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

How can this be guaranteed? or even fair? now that he has the label of the trouble maker even if he does straighten up then who is to say someone doesn't just accuse him of something and have him arrested? not exactly fair there. IMO what about a speeding ticket? or seatbelt violation? how far does it go?

• He must comply with all required counseling, education and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

I have no problems here

• He must obey the restrictions that have been agreed to by him and the Titans.

Well if he agrees then of course, no problems here

• He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or workouts during his suspension. Starting June 1, he must visit the team facility once per week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study and other activities. No problems here either that would be fair only with the suspension since it is for a year

• In conjunction with the Titans, Jones must develop a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the NFL for approval.

This I don't understand really, if he is to return with an adjusted attitude towards life you may say then what has he done to actually warrant further punishment to do a community service. I'd actually think if he was to "change" his ways then he'd take it upon himself to attempt to adjust his own image for the NFL and do some community serivice on his own terms or something of that nature.

I dunno I'm just an advocate of innocent until proven guilty. Now I know people get away with things because they have money or are famous but sometimes you have to swallow the bad with our system.

No, not at all.

Wake up, gangsta wannabe pieces of garbage... you are making millions of dollars to play a game. Don't pull stupid crap to jeopardize what you have... because you are lucky to have it to begin with.

Get your acts together or get the hell out.

Jones is an employee of a league where the employees sign contracts stipulating a code of conduct. The better argument for Jones is not the innocent until proven guilty nonsense, because the league isn't a court and, therefore, is not applying any legal standard beyond whether the contract was violated and the collective bargaining agreement for punishment may be enacted. Instead, argue the rules of the game changed on him in mid-stream. This is partially true, though he did violate the old code keeping some incidents in Georgia to himself, that is not really a big deal save for the new emphasis. Frankly I think the league should have told everyone the policy is in place from the day it was agreed forward to avoid any real issues.

As for Jones, the man has had 10 situations where he's been interviewed by police for either doing something wrong or being around something that was wrong. I've no problem with the league telling him to live life where he has NO run ins with the police, for speeding, false accusations or even witnessing a crime. Stay home for 10 years, make millions and go nuts when you're out of the league. This guy is living a dangerous life. No other player is out and about in so much heat. Very few players have ANY interaction with law enforcement.

Jones can hire a limo service and PRAY the driver doesn't speed and force him to testify :).

I personally believe this is a consipiracy to try and root out WVU football players to be honest with everyone here.

I was hoping somebody would make the connection about these two both having played for Rich Rodriguez and the West Virginia Mountaineers! Two Mountaineers messing things up for everybody. Don't they realize that they aren't in Morgantown anymore where football is king no matter what the players do. As a former Terp, I love it! :laugh:

this is the best way for the league to set an example to other players...they are not above the law...they are not better then anyone else...i personally think that they waited TOO long.....Pacman Jones should have been repromanded like this LONG before this....as well as the players that violate substance abuse policies, break laws, and go around flaunting money and fame because they know they wont get in much trouble.

There is no excuse for a player to be arrested 10 times in 2 seasons, and that includes several incidents that he failed to disclose to his employer. Its a privelage to play in the NFL, not a right.....

I'm just stunned people have been defending this guy all day on sports talk and on t.v......The only reason he learned his lesson this time was because he was called into the commish's office....Otherwise what was the difference between this and that last handful of times he got himself arrested???

PacMan might be a good guy, but he needs to s=take a step back and see that what came so easily could also be taken away just as quickly....

Ultimately the league is trying to "cover" it's butt. The average NFL team is worth 800 million, which comes out to about 29 BILLION dollars. I don't think they care a ratts butt about either one of these players, and why should they? These are just a couple of boys who never "left" the hood.

But these tow guys are taking up negative headlines of a 29 Billion dollar company. By putting these restrictions and conditions in place is the same as telling these two, "Here's a rope, go hang yourself, and don't blame us when you do."

This is just the NFL's way to politcally correctly get these two losers out of the league...and it'll work.

I'm tired of all of these professional atheletes trying to be "thugs". Jones got what he deserved and I hope it serves as a wake-up call. He has to learn that playing in the NFL is not a right and can be taken away at any time.

I was hoping somebody would make the connection about these two both having played for Rich Rodriguez and the West Virginia Mountaineers! Two Mountaineers messing things up for everybody. Don't they realize that they aren't in Morgantown anymore where football is king no matter what the players do. As a former Terp, I love it! :laugh:

yeah, the wvu post graduate baby sitting service needs work. you're right. :rolleyes:

as a former terp, i'm sure you love it, as it helps ease the sting of consecutive ass whoopins.

Come on. This is a slap on the wrist. Basically it says if the guy doesn't break another law, he's a free man. Give me a break. Would an average employer give this guy a 10th chance?

well unfortuately, only a handful of people in the world are better at doing his job then he is (such as other starting cornbacks in the league) and for that, this is the "special" treatment that people especially good at their professions are allowed.

the average man is just that, average. if the job he does is average enough then on average, he's replaceable. these people are special in that they can do what they do so especially good (however horrible they are as people is irrelevent in the real world)

put it another way: if one of the top 20 accountants in the world was arrested for crimes like this, it would most likely unfold the same. it's all about lawyers and money; the power of exceptional talent affords both.

That must be why you thrashed Marcus Vick's legal troubles, right? Two consecutive ass whoopins?

while marcus vick was at tech? would you expect less?

not that i expect you to see any difference at all.....even considering the fact that chris henry got kicked off the team for far less than mvII ever did.

if you can point me to where i've trashed mike vick or made comments insinuating that ron mexico or the mystery bottle somehow reflects on v-tech, i'll kindly shut up.

Archived