Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Winds

morpheusmeyers

The Skins by all accounts have had a quiet offseason. They've signed Fletcher and Smoot, and that's about it.

But they've made the headlines with numerous potential trades. #6 for Briggs and #31. #6 for New England's #24 and #28. #6 for Asante Samuel and #28. #6 and Betts for the Cleveland's #3 and a 3rd rounder. #6 to Atlanta. And on and on.

Dan Snyder loves making the offseason headlines. But maybe the Skins are finally getting smart and are planning on keeping the #6 unless an offer comes their way they simply can't refuse.

Laron Landry at #6 would be a great move. And it would surprise teams like Atlanta, perhaps forcing them into a desperate trade offer while on the clock that would allow the Skins their choice of defensive players on the board (Anderson, Branch, and maybe Okoye), while stockpiling extra draft picks.

And if an unbelievable trade offer doesn't materialize, then the Skins stick with Landry who would make a tremendous safety combo with Sean Taylor.

I keep hearing the Skins like Okoye and Branch, but is Landry a real possibility? Remember three years ago most people thought the Skins would draft Kellen Winslow. Thoughts?

Dan Snyder loves making the offseason headlines.

Come on -- enough of the Lenny P. support. He "loves making offseason headlines"? Have we gotten this from Snyder's mouth? Man, I LOVE making offseason headlines! LOVE IT! Winning games? Yeah, sure: whatever.

I know that when the team doesn't win, everything is (and perhaps should be) called into doubt, but this is one of those cliches that just won't hunt.

Having said that, I do like Landry and would think they must be considering him at #6, assuming they keep the pick. Okoye, Anderson, Adams, Landry wouldn't bother me at all at #6, but I'd still like to trade down.

If the Skins draft Landry and trade him to the Falcons with the Falcons on the clock the Skins know exactly who they can pick up with Atlanta's #1 while adding additional picks.

Anderson will prob be there. Branch, too. Okoye maybe.

Why draft Anderson or Branch at #6 when they should be able to get either with Atlanta's #1?

If the call doesn't come from the Falcons (or someone else) they simply keep Landry.

But they've made the headlines with numerous potential trades

wrong, they made ONE trade, and ONE nixed trade offer

everything else has been idle speculation by uniformed sports hacks, being passed off as truth when other sites cut & paste only a snippet of the article out of context

Landry would make the most sense if CJ is gone and we dont get a rediculous trade offer (ei...SAINTS for Ricky)

Team him with ST and thats a better pass rush. QB would have nowhere to go but down...

I know could you imnagine the speed in the secondary with all of these guys and a healthy Springs. The whole field would be covered by sub 4.4 guys. Skins need to go with best player available at 6 and that would be landry imo.

Anderson, and Landry ....if Thomas isnt there if thomas is there we have to take him.

Every prognosticator seems to have him as the first or second best player in the draft.there are several known PB quality kids in this Draft....Peterson, Thomas, Quinn, Russell, Adams, Anderson, Landry, and CJ and they will go in any order the GM's desire. Some GM's build for the future and consider which position is getting older or where they are lacking talent, and some just get an illogical desire for one player(see: Russell...who will be picked before Quinn...???...I hate the Irish and still see Quinn as a better QB) So trying to figure out this draft is sort of hard.

I heard that ESPN now reports that Adams is their man. Does Tampa Take CJ, Peterson or Tampa in that case? We might get another PB OT on this team and take pressure off Samuels, who hasnt looked as good in the last few years.

If the Skins draft Landry and trade him to the Falcons with the Falcons on the clock the Skins know exactly who they can pick up with Atlanta's #1 while adding additional picks.

Anderson will prob be there. Branch, too. Okoye maybe.

Why draft Anderson or Branch at #6 when they should be able to get either with Atlanta's #1?

If the call doesn't come from the Falcons (or someone else) they simply keep Landry.

This makes a lot of sense to me. It's also pretty simple. I'd be thrilled if we played it like this.

Dan Snyder loves making the offseason headlines.

Come on -- enough of the Lenny P. support. He "loves making offseason headlines"? Have we gotten this from Snyder's mouth? Man, I LOVE making offseason headlines! LOVE IT! Winning games? Yeah, sure: whatever.

I know that when the team doesn't win, everything is (and perhaps should be) called into doubt, but this is one of those cliches that just won't hunt.

Having said that, I do like Landry and would think they must be considering him at #6, assuming they keep the pick. Okoye, Anderson, Adams, Landry wouldn't bother me at all at #6, but I'd still like to trade down.

I used to subscribe to this philosophy, too, but I've realized that the Kool-Aid is just getting too sour these days. No denying that Snyder and Co. did make a senseless offer for Briggs and Angelo's stubborness was our only saving grace on that one. It wasn't purely some Pasquarelli or Rosenhaus smoke screen- the offer was reality. And if you don't think that there was some truth to the other rumors as well I'm afraid you're kidding yourself.

The bad news is that it doesn't look like Synder is learning from any of his past mistakes. The good news, though, is that external forces are keeping him from shooting himself in the foot this year...at least so far.

#6 and Betts for the Cleveland's #3 and a 3rd rounder. #6 to Atlanta. And on and on.

Never heard about a Betts to Cleveland trade........when did this happen?

The only real trade proposal was to the Bears.......I'm not even sure the Redskins made an offical fooer to the Pats other than possibly see what the Pats might want for Samuel.

Everything else has been rumor, hyperbole or other BS.

I used to subscribe to this philosophy, too, but I've realized that the Kool-Aid is just getting too sour these days. No denying that Snyder and Co. did make a senseless offer for Briggs and Angelo's stubborness was our only saving grace on that one. It wasn't purely some Pasquarelli or Rosenhaus smoke screen- the offer was reality. And if you don't think that there was some truth to the other rumors as well I'm afraid you're kidding yourself.

The bad news is that it doesn't look like Synder is learning from any of his past mistakes. The good news, though, is that external forces are keeping him from shooting himself in the foot this year...at least so far.

So since Angelo already made two trades with the Jets and Skins and was in talks with the Skins and Giants among others on other trades does that mean he loves making headlines? With him, it's just a smart GM trying to upgrade his team. With us it's "Synder" not learning from past mistakes or trying to make headlines.

:doh:

I do think Snyder is learning a little. He naturally went back to his ways after 06 because he thought that was what had gotten us to the playoffs in 06 (Moss, Portis, Brunell, all form trades). But this season, he realizes that drafting is very important. The last lesson he needs is that teams are made not in the first ornd, but in rounds 3-7.

So since Angelo already made two trades with the Jets and Skins and was in talks with the Skins and Giants among others on other trades does that mean he loves making headlines? With him, it's just a smart GM trying to upgrade his team. With us it's "Synder" not learning from past mistakes or trying to make headlines.

:doh:

Based on the fact that Angelo's moves have led the Bears to be the reigning NFC champs whereas Snyder's have led to a whole lot of headscratching and lack of wins I'd say your statement is a pretty fair assessment of the situation.

Does anyone know if we were to take Landry at #6 that, given what a great athlete he is and how greatly he is lorded over by more than a few teams, WHAT EXACTLY we could get for him in a swap? I know safeties are coveted but let's face it, it is clearly not valued like QB or RB. Please fill me in people, I just don't know what we could really get for him. Gimme some feedback football/draft experts out there...

we should easily be able to trade down and get a first 2nd and maybe a third if some team gets desperate for Landry or Peterson or Quinn (or Russell). Grab a DE, DT, and then maybe a guard, or a LB, or a corner, or a safety.

Does anyone know if we were to take Landry at #6 that, given what a great athlete he is and how greatly he is lorded over by more than a few teams, WHAT EXACTLY we could get for him in a swap? I know safeties are coveted but let's face it, it is clearly not valued like QB or RB. Please fill me in people, I just don't know what we could really get for him. Gimme some feedback football/draft experts out there...

There was an interesting article on draft trades on the ESPN Insider site yesterday. I can't link it but the general premise is that it's fairly difficult to move around the low end of the first round and when it happens the team trading the lower pick rarely gets full value especially when compared to the "point system" most teams use to value picks. There are exception like the Eli Manning trade but otherwise fair value isn't often achieved. Sooooo, if you are trading down from #6 be prepared to take a haircut.

Archived