Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make the NBA better!

Spaceman Spiff

Of course i realize it. 4 feet isnt that big of a deal. Plus, if you watched the NCAA tourney this year, like 1/4 of the 3's were from NBA range.
...and amazingly, when the college kids shoot from NBA range, there's nobody in their face because people are guarding the college 3-point line. I don't know, it just bugs me how easy it is for college kids to just step back, get an open 3, and make it all the time ... the distance and the defense prevents that in the NBA.
I have no idea how you can say that the NBA has better team play than the NCAA.
Well, of course nothing is true across the board, so ignore the Lakers or the Cavaliers, but watch the team defense that the Spurs play or the team offense that the Suns run ... it's a much higher level than anything you'll see in college.

Since we're quoting statistics:

Top 10 NBA teams in assists per game:

1 Phoenix 25.81

2 Utah 24.46

3 New Jersey 23.85

4 Golden State 25.01

5 Denver 24.48

6 Minnesota 22.71

7 L.A. Lakers 22.07

8 San Antonio 22.26

9 Charlotte 22.19

10 Chicago 22.14

Top 10 NCAA teams in assists per game (parentheses to adjust 40 minutes to 48 minutes):

1 VMI 20.6 (24.72)

2 Sam Houston St. 19.2 (23.04)

3 North Carolina 18.3 (21.96)

4 Northern Arizona 18.1 (21.72)

5 A&M Corpus Christi 18.0 (21.6)

6 Eastern Washington 17.7 (21.24)

7 West Virginia 17.6 (21.12)

8 Pittsburgh 17.5 (21)

9 Hawaii 17.4 (20.88)

10 Penn 17.4 (20.88)

It's not that significant a difference, but the NBA assists are definitely higher. There's no reason to believe that the NBA, as a whole, is less of a team game than the NCAA. There are several NBA players that take over games to the exclusion of the rest of their teams, but 80-point games from Kobe Bryant are the exception, not the rule.

I mean, i could pick any 3 major conferences so the number of players are similar and i guarantee the shooting argument still works out in my favor, both FG% and 3ptFG%.

but the distance is the main factor.. how many college kids actually shoot from nba range? they all barely shoot outside of the college shoot.. are they any intimidating centers in ncaa like mutombo, camby and other good big man who block everything in their path

...and amazingly, when the college kids shoot from NBA range, there's nobody in their face because people are guarding the college 3-point line. I don't know, it just bugs me how easy it is for college kids to just step back, get an open 3, and make it all the time ... the distance and the defense prevents that in the NBA.

So you are saying that college kids can make the long jumper "all the time." Thats all im saying. The point was made that college kids cant knock down an open jumper.

guys in college cant make open shots where in the nba, guys will shoot u to death..
Well, of course nothing is true across the board, so ignore the Lakers or the Cavaliers, but watch the team defense that the Spurs play or the team offense that the Suns run ... it's a much higher level than anything you'll see in college.

Since we're quoting statistics:

Top 10 NBA teams in assists per game:

1 Phoenix 25.81

2 Utah 24.46

3 New Jersey 23.85

4 Golden State 25.01

5 Denver 24.48

6 Minnesota 22.71

7 L.A. Lakers 22.07

8 San Antonio 22.26

9 Charlotte 22.19

10 Chicago 22.14

Top 10 NCAA teams in assists per game (parentheses to adjust 40 minutes to 48 minutes):

1 VMI 20.6 (24.72)

2 Sam Houston St. 19.2 (23.04)

3 North Carolina 18.3 (21.96)

4 Northern Arizona 18.1 (21.72)

5 A&M Corpus Christi 18.0 (21.6)

6 Eastern Washington 17.7 (21.24)

7 West Virginia 17.6 (21.12)

8 Pittsburgh 17.5 (21)

9 Hawaii 17.4 (20.88)

10 Penn 17.4 (20.88)

It's not that significant a difference, but the NBA assists are definitely higher. There's no reason to believe that the NBA, as a whole, is less of a team game than the NCAA. There are several NBA players that take over games to the exclusion of the rest of their teams, but 80-point games from Kobe Bryant are the exception, not the rule.

Games in the NBA, even with the time adjustment, are much higher scoring than in college. 24 second shot clock vs 35 second shot clock. :)

but the distance is the main factor.. how many college kids actually shoot from nba range? they all barely shoot outside of the college shoot..

A ton bomb from NBA 3 range. Did you watch the tourney? And you said they couldnt knock down open jumpers. You didnt say they cant knock down NBA 3's.

are they any intimidating centers in ncaa like mutombo, camby and other good big man who block everything in their path

Hmmmm, cant think of any. Oh, wait.

greg-oden-3.jpg

Greg Oden

georgetownnortheriowa.jpg

Roy Hibbert

07aicmbb_128.jpg

UConn Freshman Hasheem Thabeet, 4 blocks per game.

0h3755pk.jpg

Lasme averaged 5 blocks per game for his entire career.

A ton bomb from NBA 3 range. Did you watch the tourney? And you said they couldnt knock down open jumpers. You didnt say they cant knock down NBA 3's.

Hmmmm, cant think of any. Oh, wait.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/20070106/greg-oden-3.jpg

Greg Oden

http://boifromtroy.com/wp-content/georgetownnortheriowa.jpg

Roy Hibbert

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MBasketball/2006/11/01/07aicmbb_128.jpg

UConn Freshman Hasheem Thabeet, 4 blocks per game.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper874/stills/0h3755pk.jpg

Lasme averaged 5 blocks per game for his entire career.

wow 4 big man in the entire league.. thats great

I mean, i could pick any 3 major conferences so the number of players are similar and i guarantee the shooting argument still works out in my favor, both FG% and 3ptFG%.

There are just too many variables to list that makes this almost impossible to argue statistically. competitive balance has to come into play. Though the Celtics, for instance, are not very good they are closer to the Mavs or Suns than Rutgers, USF, or Cincinnati are to G'town.

I also think that you're underestimating the difference in distance. As a past and present competitive player, at 6' to boot, who is mostly a jump-shooter, it is a very significant difference.

To say that college players can't shoot is, of course, rediculous. To think that that absolutely translates to being able to do it at the next level and that it's not the difference in distance but solely the style of play that keeps them out is equally so.

(If that's what you were saying.)

Archived