Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make the NBA better!

Spaceman Spiff

Hey PB, you realize that the NBA 3-point line is 4 feet further, right? :silly:

The college 3 is actually starting to bother me a bit because so many teams can win just by shooting 30 3-pointers a game ... it eliminates a lot of the good team play and makes inside play irrelevant a lot of the time. When there are a significant number of people shooting 50%, it's time to move the line back...

there is no post game in the ncaa anymore. teams that can shoot 12 for 20 from downtown most of the time win these days. u even want guys like ibewke and gist shooting from 3

The college 3 is actually starting to bother me a bit because so many teams can win just by shooting 30 3-pointers a game ... it eliminates a lot of the good team play and makes inside play irrelevant a lot of the time. When there are a significant number of people shooting 50%, it's time to move the line back...

The NCAA tourney is most definitely the most exciting sporting event of the year, but the best basketball, including team play and coaching adjustments and all of that, is played in the NBA playoffs.

Absolutely agree with this. I think the NBA playoffs are much better than tournament from a number of different perspectives. They really should move the college 3 back a few feet.

thanks.. u know that the 3 pt line is about 4 feet shorter.. thanks for playing!!:cool:

Oh no! 4 feet! You said college kids cant knock down jumpers. Which is totally wrong, as the stats indicate.

Ok, how about this: 59 college players shoot better than 45% from the college 3 point line. Only 73 NBA players shoot better than 45% TOTAL, including all the dunks and layups. 14 more. And the NBA doesnt play defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbafgpct&sort=fg%&league=nba&split=0&order=true&row1=51&qual=true&season=2007&seasontype=2&avg=none&pos=all

Oh no! 4 feet! You said college kids cant knock down jumpers. Which is totally wrong, as the stats indicate.

Ok, how about this: 59 college players shoot better than 45% from the college 3 point line. Only 73 NBA players shoot better than 45% TOTAL, including all the dunks and layups. 14 more. And the NBA doesnt play defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbafgpct&sort=fg%&league=nba&split=0&order=true&row1=51&qual=true&season=2007&seasontype=2&avg=none&pos=all

u seriously dont watch any nba bball if u believe the nonsense youre writing..

The NCAA tourney is most definitely the most exciting sporting event of the year, but the best basketball, including team play and coaching adjustments and all of that, is played in the NBA playoffs.

Of course i realize it. 4 feet isnt that big of a deal. Plus, if you watched the NCAA tourney this year, like 1/4 of the 3's were from NBA range.

I have no idea how you can say that the NBA has better team play than the NCAA.

Now you're conrtadicting yourself. What you just said is that these players, when in college, shoot better than 45%. Then, when they get to the NBA, where they don't play defense, very few of them are able to shoot 45%. Something's funny there. :)

A lot of teams do play defense and coincidentally, they're usually the ones who win in the playoffs. Just like in hockey or football, the refs put away the whistles and let you play in the playoffs and that's where defense shines.

There's another problem I have with NCAA basketball. You think NBA refs are ticky tacky? **** that, NCAA is ridiculous. The ref's control the outcome of the game consistently and call the most ticky tacky bull**** you'll ever see.

There's another problem I have with NCAA basketball. You think NBA refs are ticky tacky? **** that, NCAA is ridiculous. The ref's control the outcome of the game consistently and call the most ticky tacky bull**** you'll ever see.

when guys like greg oden cant stay on the floor for 2 minutes without beign called, u know why these guys go to the pros

Now you're conrtadicting yourself. What you just said is that these players, when in college, shoot better than 45%. Then, when they get to the NBA, where they don't play defense, very few of them are able to shoot 45%. Something's funny there. :)

Yeah, the NBA doesnt value shooters as highly. Tons of guys shot 3's all day in college, but dont even get a shot to play in the NBA. Often they dont have the athleticism, but i was simply countering the point that Skins2k made that college kids cant knock down open jumpers. Jerry McNamara, Kevin Pittsnogle, and JJ Reddick come to mind. FANTASTIC jump shooters. 2 arent in the league and the other got 6 minutes per game. Did they forget how to shoot? I doubt it. Its just a different brand of basketball.

A lot of teams do play defense and coincidentally, they're usually the ones who win in the playoffs. Just like in hockey or football, the refs put away the whistles and let you play in the playoffs and that's where defense shines.

I agree. But lots of teams DONT play defense at all, like the Wiz, the Suns, and the Mavs.

Meh, thats the same with all sports. Some refs letcha play, some dont. Especially calls in the NCAA tourney when a bad call can end your whole season, instead of having a 7 game series and knowing you can come back the next day.

Of course i realize it. 4 feet isnt that big of a deal. Plus, if you watched the NCAA tourney this year, like 1/4 of the 3's were from NBA range.

I have no idea how you can say that the NBA has better team play than the NCAA.

Watch the Spurs, Pistons, Mavericks, Suns and Jazz in the playoffs and you'll see what he's talking about. :)

Besides, why the hell did we let the mountain college boy hijack the NBA thread with his NCAA is better nonsense. :silly:

I agree. But lots of teams DONT play defense at all, like the Wiz, the Suns, and the Mavs.

the mavs are top 5 in defense and the suns actually play average defense, its just the tempo they play at. they are in the middle of all the important categories unlike the wiz

Yeah, the NBA doesnt value shooters as highly. Tons of guys shot 3's all day in college, but dont even get a shot to play in the NBA. Often they dont have the athleticism, but i was simply countering the point that Skins2k made that college kids cant knock down open jumpers. Jerry McNamara, Kevin Pittsnogle, and JJ Reddick come to mind.

I guess that's true but then again, you just pointed out the higher level of competition because just shooting isn't good enough in the NBA. You have to be able to move as well ;)

I mean, that's a given, not all teams are going to be defensive minded. That's like saying no one in the NFL plays defense, just look at the Colts and Bengals. Besides, the Mavs finally do play decent defense, the Suns aren't as bad as people think at it (their fast pace means higher scoring for the other team. If you look at the opposition's shooting % and other things, though, they aren't bad defensively) and the Wizards.....well, yeah, they suck completely at D and that's why they're a very mediocre team who'll never make it past the second round as they're currently comprised.

Meh, thats the same with all sports. Some refs letcha play, some dont. Especially calls in the NCAA tourney when a bad call can end your whole season, instead of having a 7 game series and knowing you can come back the next day

Yeah, it is but I think NCAA generally calls fouls for a lot less contact than the NBA. That really annoys me after awhile.

Watch the Spurs, Pistons, Mavericks, Suns and Jazz in the playoffs and you'll see what he's talking about. :)

I know some teams play D. I also know that some, like the team that i tend to watch, play none.

Besides, why the hell did we let the mountain college boy hijack the NBA thread with his NCAA is better nonsense. :silly:

Ok, i'll offer a suggestion to making the NBA better:

If a player makes 3 shots in a row, he becomes "on fire" and will hit any shot from anywhere on the court until the other team scores. Balls he shoots will have a smoke trail and burn up the net as they pass through. :)

-Get rid of all the rules that make defense impossible and discourage contact.

-Call travels

-Stop giving the offensive players so many avenues to end up on the free throw line.

-Stop calling flops in defensive players' favor (worst.decision.ever to start)

-Stop calling fouls where offensive player initiates contact (pump fake, jumping into defender)

-Stop advertising individuals (should've started AND stopped with MJ)

-Show more freakin teams on TV! Get NBA on NBC back!

I guess that's true but then again, you just pointed out the higher level of competition because just shooting isn't good enough in the NBA. You have to be able to move as well ;)

I think the overall skill is higher in the NBA, of course. Thats why one is the professional league and has far less players. I was simply refuting the point that someone made that NCAA players cant shoot. Purely looking at jump shooting, the NCAA is much better than the NBA.

Adam Morrison...gotta get that thug out of the league...same with Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, and Dwayne Wade. Get al lfo those thugs out of the league :doh:

You didn't read the whole thread did you? And didn't J. Kidd beat his wife?

I know some teams play D. I also know that some, like the team that i tend to watch, play none.

:mad:

Ugh. You don't need to remind me. The Wizards defense is beyond pathetic. But again, that's why we suck.

Ok, i'll offer a suggestion to making the NBA better:

If a player makes 3 shots in a row, he becomes "on fire" and will hit any shot from anywhere on the court until the other team scores. Balls he shoots will have a smoke trail and burn up the net as they pass through. :)

:laugh:

Best idea yet.

I think the overall skill is higher in the NBA, of course. Thats why one is the professional league and has far less players. I was simply refuting the point that someone made that NCAA players cant shoot. Purely looking at jump shooting, the NCAA is much better than the NBA.

I can agree with that.

Archived