Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reed Doughty

cavs9

Got burned in the preseason, played well on special teams as the season progressed. Has everyone forgotten about him? Do you think the coaches have already tabbed him as a bust? I think he showed great promise when seeing him play (what little he did). Why not give him a real shot this year? After all, everyone talks about snagging a diamond in the rough. We drafted him late last year (I think 6th round), and I feel like he wasn't given much of a chance. Anyway, he could just turn out to be the long-term answer we need in his second year, but that's a big IF. Thoughts?

I don't know if anyone has forgotten about him. Though he didn't do much to ensure we remember him!

I believe he had a couple of good licks on special teams, but that's about all. I think he has an opportunity to play as a 3rd safety this year. Training camp will be big for him, but I think his special teams skills will at least give him the inside track to hang on the team as a 5th safety.

I think you have to be considered a promising talent in the first place to be considered a bust. He is a safety from a division IAA school who did well against less talented players. He was never thought of as a sure fire draft pick being a 6th rounder. He would be more of a surprise if he did well. It is too early to make any long lasting conclusions.

With the guys on the roster already at safety, I think he may have a hard time making the roster. Since Williams likes to keep a lot of LB"s on the team plus now that we have 5 cornerbacks (Springs, Rogers, Smoot, Macklin, Ade), he might be practice team bound if eligible.

Yeah, like Burgold said. I think he's a tad on the slower side. Special Teams will probably be his only shot to get on the team. At least his pay scale will reflect that, unlike our old buddy AA from last season. :doh:

I think everyone is taking the "bust" comment a little too far. Obviously, if he is a 6th round pick he can't be a bust. I guess I should've said something like "won't pan out like we hoped."

the guy was a sixth round pick. I don't think anyone envisioned Doughty being anything more than a special teams performer in 2006. He certainly didn't do anything to show he couldn't stick around in that role for several years.

If he shows more at the safety position, then the Redskins could have a diamond in the rough. Reed seems limited, though, by the same lack of footspeed that bedeviled Adam Archuleta.

I'll root for him, but I think his chances of making the team are slim to none... He has to have a much better preseason this year than he did last year. He'll have to compete in the secondary and special teams with the FAs we brought in this year (smoot, macklin, stoutmire) and anyone else we draft or bring in as an Undrafted Free Agent...

When you don't have anything close to a pass rush, you need safeties with speed.

And Reed is slower than even Adam.

Archuleta runs a 4.4 40, nothing slow about that. He just didn't have the moves to keep up in coverage.

Did any of you see him on espn for the you got jacked up segment. Hes a hitter(st) not a starter.

Yes!!! That was a sweet hit on that Saints dude. Made me proud.

I think he will stick around and develop into another Jimoh, solid special teams player who sees very limited action elsewhere, mostly in emergenices. People outside of this forum will forget he's there but he should be around for a few years.

If there was anything consistently great about our 2006 team, it was the special teams unit and Doughty was part of that.

Archived