Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PC question...

halter91

I may be the only one on this board that still runs a DOS PC. Yep. It's a 386. It's got a 14.4 modem in it. A 500 MB HD. 8 MB Ram (I think). It's been running since 1993. The secret? NEVER TURN IT OFF.

To this day, I still use F2 to change file names (works in windows).

Anyways, as far as I know, DOS can't run windows programs because they require too much memory.

I may be the only one on this board that still runs a DOS PC. Yep. It's a 386. It's got a 14.4 modem in it. A 500 MB HD. 8 MB Ram (I think). It's been running since 1993. The secret? NEVER TURN IT OFF.

Anyways, as far as I know, DOS can't run windows programs because they require too much memory.

um... you DO have other computers, right???

WOW....please tell me you have a more....modern computer :silly:

Legacy computers are fun and all for nostalgia and a look at old technology, if it fascinates you (like it does me, being an information systems student), but unless it has a real use, its nothing more than a large paperweight.

That said, no, programs created for windows these days are pretty much written to operate on the windows kernel, the core of the operating system. Back in the day, when you were installing programs with diskettes, you may have had DOS installation options, but you're pretty much SOL on that today.

You know, if you type out the number 58008 and then turn your monitor upside down, it spells a dirty word.

try it!

~Bang

You know, if you type out the number 58008 and then turn your monitor upside down, it spells a dirty word.

try it!

~Bang

This is something I've never heard.

I guess I'll have to try it upstairs on the relic. Doesn't work using the Dos screen on this machine.

Let's go back a little further. Anybody ever use CP/M?

Not sure what your asking.. Do you have a DOS program you are trying to run in Windows? Or is it a native Windows Program you for some reason want to run in DOS?

Well if it's option 1. there is a program called DOS Box you can download that emulates DOS, it's pretty good.. Google it..

If it's 2, well then your SOL Windows programs can't run in DOS..

This is something I've never heard.

I guess I'll have to try it upstairs on the relic. Doesn't work using the Dos screen on this machine.

Let's go back a little further. Anybody ever use CP/M?

One of the most secure OSs ever written! I cut my teeth on CP/M.

Thing is, a lot of old technology is the basis for a lot of stuff we go wow over today (java and virtualization for instance).

Archived