Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Lunch About to Discuss Briggs: 12:45

Skinsinparadise

As I am sure its been said, the Redskins may not feel that any of the players they have to pick at 6 is worth 6 money. Trading down may not be an option as it may not provide the sure hit they are thinking of or hoping for. Their chances become better with a trade for Briggs as he is a proven commodity and worth the money that they would spend on the area of DE. Clearly they plan on drafting DLine but its what they can get for their money. Bang for buck.

Mind you, this is all about one of the 30 scenarios they have on the borad to put themselves in the best possible situation with their circumstances. A ton of factors we have no clue about.

One thing we do know, like it or not, when Arrington left, we lost a proven WLB vs the run and that destroyed us last year. Clearly, they do not want to wait another year for Rocky to grow and have delt with their disdain for him not playing last year by firing the coach. However, that does nothing for this coming season and the need for an immediate impact player.

A tough situation for the Coach, but I think he is playing it as smart as possible with all the factors that we know as fans. (Which means, there are at least 100 more we don't know about)

We'll see soon enough.

I'm a Bear's fan and hate to say it but the nitwits on the Bears board don't know half as much about football as the Skins fans here

I was shocked when I read on one of the boards - from a veteran poster - that the Redskins had to throw two first rounders into the mix because Briggs got the franchise tag.

That my friend, aint gonna happen ;)

We franchised tagged Champ Bailey a few years back, and we didn't get that kind of value for him, and he's a lot more valuable than Briggs.

We'll see soon enough.

I agree for the most part, but how does spending googooplex dollars on a position of strength make any more sense than over-paying for DLine talent at #6? Its like "hey, let's not overspend on a position where we desperately need help, but look, a linebacker! We've got plenty of those - let's throw a billion dollars at him!" Makes no sense and as Bram stated, is extremely counter-intuitive.

There is no defense of this move at all. None.

:laugh: Thanks OP, maybe we can convert you :laugh:

Ok, besides knowelegable fans the Skins have great uniforms. But I could never put up with Snyder and his lackey. How do you guys do it without jumping off a ledge? It's the worst front office this side of Cleveland. The benefit of sticking with the Bears is that Angelo is the best GM in football :)

Ok, besides knowelegable fans the Skins have great uniforms. But I could never put up with Snyder and his lackey. How do you guys do it without jumping off a ledge? It's the worst front office this side of Cleveland. The benefit of sticking with the Bears is that Angelo is the best GM in football :)

I dunno man, for having such a great GM, you'd think the Bears would have had a lot of success over the past few years - I'm not taking pot shots, but with the exception of last year's Super Bowl appearence, the Bears have had similiar success - or lack there of - as the Skins. :)

I really would like to hear something from Gibbs regarding this deal.

We keep hearing how Gibbs makes the final decision on all of these trades, but this one has Snyder/Cerrato written all over it; guys like Doc Walker, JLC, and now Bram Weinstein are getting that same impression.

"It's business as usual" Doc Walker.

Well it is still nice to have you on board anyway, it is always nice to get knowledgeable football fans from other teams.

I dunno man, for having such a great GM, you'd think the Bears would have had a lot of success over the past few years - I'm not taking pot shots, but with the exception of last year's Super Bowl appearence, the Bears have had similiar success - or lack there of - as the Skins. :)

It's about the plan. Angelo has a method of doing things that breads stability and has been in the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years (I think). But his best skills revolve around the draft. Nobody finds talent like he does and he is the master of the 2-5 rounds. He moves up and down a few slots to get the guy he wants and he picks guys that you don't expect or haven't heard much about. For all that's been good about the Skins forever you have a GM and owner that are clueless and have no plan. Not a knock against the Skins franchise, but owners are tempoary caretakers and you have a bad one:)

For all that's been good about the Skins forever you have a GM and owner that are clueless and have no plan.

As much as I like yr name, I have to disagree. This is the kind of over-the-top simplification that helps no one. There is and has been a plan in place since Gibbs arrived (at least). I don't always agree w/the plan, but there's no doubt there is one.

Bram, quite possibly, has the most annoying voice on radio. that, and he NEVER takes a breath. just one non-stop, never-ending run-on sentence. sometimes i just yell at the radio: "STOP TALKING."

Yeh. Bram is the negative nancy type. I guess that works out when paired with the Optimistic Larry Michael. Comparing to Elliot in the morning, Bram would be the "flounder" of the crew.

For all that's been good about the Skins forever you have a GM and owner that are clueless and have no plan.

As much as I like yr name, I have to disagree. This is the kind of over-the-top simplification that helps no one. There is and has been a plan in place since Gibbs arrived (at least). I don't always agree w/the plan, but there's no doubt there is one.

This is your board and I'm just a temporary guest so I don't want to be argumentative. But Snyder spends recklessly and doesn't understand how a team is built. With all the needs why is he going after Briggs? How many wrong receivers does he need to overpay? With all the spending where is the D-Line? Where is the commitment in building through the draft? He has said he would do this but his actions prove otherwise. Finally, where is the progress since he has been owner? It's not reflected in the standings. All that is called not having a plan.:)

Not a knock against the Skins franchise, but owners are tempoary caretakers and you have a bad one:)

He's made the playoffs twice since he took over the job in 2001 - Snyder has also made it to the playoffs twice since he took over for the team in 1999 - It's not as big of a gap as one might think.

He previously was the director of player personnel with the Bucs - and we all know how great the Bucs used to be.

I'm pretty sure Snyder and Cerrato have a plan as well - it's not a very popular plan - but who knows, maybe one day it will work out.

Until last year, I'd say the Bears and Skins have had a similiar lack of success or a similiar track record.

I agree I bet they told Lemar we need you to move from MLB to weakside LB for the good of the team but we want to reassure you that you are a core Redskins. Ditto with Rocky, we drafted you and will develop you.

Now they are making a statement that says otherwise.

Again its a guess on our end, but that guess seems intuitive to me.

Idont think we have said anything about trading one our players to the bears.Its the bears who want more than just the #6 pick.

Hopefully we are smarter than that?

As said previously, Arrington has yet to be replaced. GW will groom Rocky and by the time he hits the field, he will understand every inch of what is happening around him.

Both of our coordinators seem to have really complex systems. The downfall to that is the inability of young players to understand the plan COMPLETELY.

By the time Rocky is COMPLETELY ready, even if that is just next year, someone else will be on their way out. Obviously LB's are very important to our defensive game plan.

Call it the everything or nothing approach.

Ill take GW's judgement over Brams, as Im sure you all would. Although I have to say Bram has some balls. Isn't Snyder technically his boss?

I agree for the most part, but how does spending googooplex dollars on a position of strength make any more sense than over-paying for DLine talent at #6? Its like "hey, let's not overspend on a position where we desperately need help, but look, a linebacker! We've got plenty of those - let's throw a billion dollars at him!" Makes no sense and as Bram stated, is extremely counter-intuitive.

There is no defense of this move at all. None.

I agree that the DL is a position of need but I do not beleive that we are set at linebacker and that its a position of strength, especially given the age of this crew. The performance of our linebackers (aside from Rocky) will continue to have decline with age....

Lemar Marshall- 30-years old

London Fletcher- 29 years old (Will turn 30 during the '07 season)

Fletcher- 32 years old

We definitely need to continue to add to this unit along with the d-line....The secondary is the youngest unit on the defense....

This is your board and I'm just a temporary guest so I don't want to be argumentative. But Snyder spends recklessly and doesn't understand how a team is built. With all the needs why is he going after Briggs? How many wrong receivers does he need to overpay? With all the spending where is the D-Line? Where is the commitment in building through the draft? He has said he would do this but his actions prove otherwise. Finally, where is the progress since he has been owner? It's not reflected in the standings. All that is called not having a plan.:)

What YOU don't understand is Snyder does not make the football decisions. Yes, he is willing to spend money on free agents. And despite everyone saying the Redskins are in Cap Hell every year, it still has NOT happened. They manage the cap differently than other teams, that's all.

Since Shottenheimer was coach, Snyder has left the player decisions to his coaches...Shottenheimer, Spurrier and now Gibbs. Snyder negotiates some of the contracts working with his cap guy.

The only football decision he has made that arguably has caused problems getting talent is his letting Shottenheimer go and hiring Spurrier. Spurrier was a total washout as an NFL coach....but then lots of other owners and GMs were very interested in Spurrier as a coach.

What YOU don't understand is Snyder does not make the football decisions. Yes, he is willing to spend money on free agents. And despite everyone saying the Redskins are in Cap Hell every year, it still has NOT happened. They manage the cap differently than other teams, that's all.

Since Shottenheimer was coach, Snyder has left the player decisions to his coaches...Shottenheimer, Spurrier and now Gibbs. Snyder negotiates some of the contracts working with his cap guy.

The only football decision he has made that arguably has caused problems getting talent is his letting Shottenheimer go and hiring Spurrier. Spurrier was a total washout as an NFL coach....but then lots of other owners and GMs were very interested in Spurrier as a coach.

Actually you're wrong. Snyder gave up decision making for Marty and it "seems" like he has for Gibbs, but he sure didn't when Spurrier was here. I'm not sure if you remember the whole Danny Wuerffel situation where Spurrier wanted to keep him and Danny said no and cut him.

I am not too sure if Gibbs really does have 100% control of that FO. If he does, he is a horrible player personnel guy. Sorry, but its the truth.

I'm a Bear's fan and hate to say it but the nitwits on the Bears board don't know half as much about football as the Skins fans here

Please go back and tell your Bear's friends that the people in ES are not half as stupid as our FO. You'll be well liked here if you can spread the word. :cheers:

Idont think we have said anything about trading one our players to the bears.Its the bears who want more than just the #6 pick.

Hopefully we are smarter than that?

Sure, you said that in relation to my post but I made no mention at least in the one you are quoting about us adding a player to the deal. Yeah I know as does everyone else on the board that its the Bears asking for another player. Of course it is, the alternative would be us INSISTING they take Rocky or Lemar and that would be bizzare.

Archived