Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honesty thread.....do you like what your team has done thus far in FA?

Jeremiah_Johnson

In keeping with Bubba's honesty theme from a week or so ago (which I thought was brilliant by the way), how do you feel about what your team has done thus far in free agency? No boisterous, chest thumping posts needed here.

Just an honest look at what you're team has done thus far, or failed to do thus far.

There are alot of rumors about the skins trading picks for Briggs, or trading up to replace JC with Jemarcus Russell, so feel free to add your thoughts on those moves even though they are speculation. I'm going to add my thoughts on the rumors of trading Julius Jones.

Here we go.......

Leonard Davis....PRICEY. But I still maintain that once Dockery signed the first big deal for Buffalo, everyone else was screwed. You think the other guys would have taken significantly less? Of course not. Combine that with the new cap space everyone had, and you get the perfect storm.

Personally, I like the move. If we brought him in to be a tackle, I admit, I would be cringing openly about it. But playing Davis at guard just makes so much damn sense, I like the move. He can play tackle in a pinch too, so even though I don't want to see him move outside of the guard spot, its nice to know he can be serviceable if need be.

Ken Hamlin. I really liked this move. I don't think Hamlin is all world, but I like it because it buys Watkins another year to find out if the kid can play. I think its an upgrade for the position, but not a gigantic one. Like I said, more than anything, it allows you to see what you really have in Watkins.

Matt McBriar. Resigned him. This was a no brainer for what I believe is one of, if not the best punter in the league.

Mark Columbo. I can't even describe how joyeous I felt when we resigned him. I really didn't think we'd get it done after watching what the guards got, and hearing what Dallas was offering him. He was VERY solid for us last year.

Brad Johnson. I think this is a good pickup too. Old vet. Maybe teach Romo sits to pee a couple of tricks. There were a bunch of angry cowboys fans who were upset that we took him so early because Carr was available a few weeks later. My question was "why in the hell would Carr want to come too dallas? There are plenty of places he could start at, and Dallas isn't one of them".

Gramatica.... Despite us having egg on our face after the Vanderjact signing, I thought we should have gone after Josh Brown. For the life of me, I can't figure out how NFL GM's don't value big time kickers. With the mediocrity of the NFL nowadays, most games in this league are very close, and having a good kicker is paramount. It can easily be the difference between 8-8 or 11-5. Especially when you factor in how much all the other players in different positions cost, and kickers don't make much compared to them.

RUMORS................. Big talk in Dallas is trying to trade Julius Jones. I would be all over that trade depending on what we got in return. Rumor has it that San Diego would get rid of turner for a 2nd rounder. I'd try to work Julius in that deal. It would be good for SD because they just need a backup anyway, and throw a 4 or 5th round pick in there as well.

or maybe trade him along with our 1st round pick to move up in the draft a few spots and take Marshawn Lynch if he's available.

Thats my 2 cents. I look forward to hearing what you think your team did.

Davis was my 3rd choice behind Stinchcomb and Dielman, but I can easily live with it given his versatility to play the tackle spot as well as the leverage it gave us in retaining Columbo.

Resigning of McBriar was a great move. He's the best in the NFC, if not entire NFL.

Johnson was my 2nd choice behind Ramsey because I still feel Ramsey can become a viable NFL starter in this league. And heaven forbid Romo sits to pee doesnt work out, I'd like a young backup that can be given a fair chance to play and eventually become a starter if necessary. Johnson is a solid veteran backup, but at this point, its season to season with him.

Hamlin shored up the secondary and FS spot temporariliy. It will allow us great flexibility in the draft as now we can truly take the BPA, whether it be a safety (Nelson) or not (WR Jarrett or Ginn).

I'm delighted every year with what the Skins do in the off season...

Bottom line...they try very hard to make the team better for us fans!

Some times it works, some times it doesn't...but we as Redskin fans shoud be thanking our lucky stars that we have a team willing to do this!

I'm delighted every year with what the Skins do in the off season...

Bottom line...they try very hard to make the team better for us fans!

Some times it works, some times it doesn't...but we as Redskin fans shoud be thanking our lucky stars that we have a team willing to do this!

There is something to be said for that. The skins are easy to poke fun at because some of their decisions haven't panned out, but nobody can say they don't try.

God forbid your a bills fan after watching some of the things they've done this year. It simply must make you think they are not even trying to get better.

Is this limited too this season?

06 off season.

-I'll admit I did want Brandon Lloyd and I was hype when we got him. However despite the terrible year he had I still think he has the talent to be a solid #2 wr. He is a headcase, but as long as campbell is throwing him the ball he'll be o.k.

-I didn't have a huge problem with letting Clark go to the Steelers until I found out that we would end up signing Arch Delux to a rediculous contract, when we coulda kept Clark for pennies compared to what we gave Arch. I have never been a fan of Arch and it wouldn't of mattered how much we paid him, I didn't want him to be a skin.

-Randel El is another move that I disagreed with, It just seemed to be too much and unneccessary.

- I did agree with the Andre Carter move and he kinda played good at the end of the season but for the first 9-10 games it seemed like he was another huge waste of money. He still hasn't proved himself to me yet but hopefully he will.

Draft--Rocky Macintosh---I wanted Dqwelll jackson and didn't think Rocky was worth 2 first rounders , I wish he coulda got some PT last year to prove me wrong but he sat behind highway 57 all year long so we still don't know if that was a good move or not.

Fletcher--good pick up, he should be a good player for us for the next 2-3 years.

Smoooot- I always knew he would come back home.

Briggs--nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dockery--let him go, he is a good player but we couldn't afford to pay him 50 mil, so no big deal.

Arch--I'm glad we got rid of Arch but who in the hell is gonna play Strong safety now??? Everyone is in love with Preilou but let's be serious, he was Ryan Clark's backup! And Omar Stoutmire??? Yeah he knows the system and played Ok 2 years ago when he rarely saw the field, but do you really want too see him getting extensive PT in the secondary?

I think we have a serious problem at SS. I'm not sold on Preilou (sp) being the starter.

I liked it up until this Briggs talk. I think its a horrible move at a position of strength for the Skins. I believe it was The Danny going off half-****ed on an impulse, and Gibbs told him to cool down once he heard about it. Unfortunately I thought Danny had improved since 2000, but apparently not.

The Jamarcus Russel talk is just more smoke-screening.

Smoot and Fletcher - both positions of need, both know the defense, and both came relatively cheap. A++ for both of those moves.

I would have liked to see our in-house OL compete for the starting job instead of bringing in a bunch of FAs. The Wade signing is the only one I really like, and he was CHEAP, too. I hate the Fabini signing, but mostly because I talked a lot of **** about him last year when the Pukes had him. :silly:

Re-signing Betts, Fox and Sellers were all key moves - but Cooley is the one I'm worried about. I know he would never play in Dallas, but I have a secret fear of seeing him in Eagle green. I would absolutely HATE that. Hopefully if we DO lose him, he goes out West somewhere to a team like Seattle, or preferably someone in the AFC.

The Eagles should win a gold star of merit for their offseason thus far.

You must have missed the thread title - this is an honesty thread. ;) Unless by "gold star of merit" you mean the equivalent of a "participation ribbon." :laugh:

1. copyright infringement :mad:

:jk:

2. some people don't understand the concept of these threads :laugh:

3. I really hated losing Dockery

4. FA has been pretty good so far

5. Is there any team that gets more crazy press for doing NOTHING, like the Skins :doh: :laugh: :doh:

6. don't have a clue what we'll do on draft day

I liked it up until this Briggs talk. I think its a horrible move at a position of strength for the Skins. I believe it was The Danny going off half-****ed on an impulse, and Gibbs told him to cool down once he heard about it. Unfortunately I thought Danny had improved since 2000, but apparently not.

The Jamarcus Russel talk is just more smoke-screening.

Smoot and Fletcher - both positions of need, both know the defense, and both came relatively cheap. A++ for both of those moves.

I would have liked to see our in-house OL compete for the starting job instead of bringing in a bunch of FAs. The Wade signing is the only one I really like, and he was CHEAP, too. I hate the Fabini signing, but mostly because I talked a lot of **** about him last year when the Pukes had him. :silly:

Re-signing Betts, Fox and Sellers were all key moves - but Cooley is the one I'm worried about. I know he would never play in Dallas, but I have a secret fear of seeing him in Eagle green. I would absolutely HATE that. Hopefully if we DO lose him, he goes out West somewhere to a team like Seattle, or preferably someone in the AFC.

This pretty much captures what I feel about the whole situation. Though I did want to see someone from inside compete for the starting job, I'm not that mad at the OL signings. Maybe they did need some guys to shore up the line.

Furthermore...

Fletcher is good for two solid seasons (ideally) then he'll become a mentor for 2-3 years or slip away.

Smoot is a good signing, I don't know how well he does after going to Minny but at the very least he will be valuable at nickel. Though I am sure he will be our #2 for a year and maybe up to 3 years of solid seasons.

Those are ideal signings.

Getting Briggs however is not. Let McIntosh have a chance to compete before you splash more money at the linebacker position.

I do like the rumors about Calvin Johnson. It will be exciting to see a possesion reciever like Art Monk (like, not saying he will be a starter, hall of famer, etc, just that they are prototypical build, possesion wideouts). But I feel like a king's ransom will have to be paid if that happens. I don't see any benefit of leaking rumors for getting CJ so I'm sure they're legitamitely wanting to get him.

The perfect deal for the Skins is that they trade down the 6th pick for more day 1 picks or maybe a 1st round for next year.

So far, I've loved the moves the Skins FO has been making so far. We've addressed areas with players we really felt could improve our team without throwing out record contracts at overhyped players. And I'm certainly glad we weren't the ones to pay Nate Clements $80 Million .... ::shudders::

I pretty much agree with what everyone said about the Skins. No to Briggs or Russell, they just don't make that much sense to me. We are just trying to keep everyone guessing and liven things up a bit, I doubt either of those two moves happen.

Ecstatic about Fletcher. He is a damn good player and a leader that will make a difference with the defense. He is a rock that we will be able to count on for at least 2-3 years. Absolutely fantastic sigining.

Almost as happy with Smoot. I was torn up when he left and I am very happy he has returned. It was a bad move for him to leave for a multitude of reasons, but I am just glad he is back.

I think we have done a great job with the guys we have signed on the O-line, keeping Wade as well as signing Tucker and Fabini. We will finally have some solid depth on the offensive line, which is not something we have had much of recently.

Happy to get Stoutmire back as well. He is getting up there in years, but he can start if needed or be a very valuable backup. Many thought he was done, but then had a solid year for the Saints, I think he has a little left in the tank and can make some plays for us.

I like Archuleta, but I am happy we found a way to move him that worked for him and us. He is a good guy and I wish him well, but he was obviously not a good fit and we ended up looking stupid. It is this kind of move that I am happy that we are not making this year (if we don't pull the trigger on Briggs).

Did not like to see Dock go, he has really improved a lot since he arrived, but that contract he got was nuts. I think what we are doing with the line is fine, we have a lot of guys that can play guard, and I am sure there will be more moves in the future.

I am very pleased so far, no big waves (yet...NO BRIGGS!) and that was exactly what I was hoping for. We have the players to make some noise already, you just can't turn the roster over every year and assume everybody is going to be able to play together. If we just stay near the top of the draft and end up with Anderson, Branch of Okoye, then sign a few more small pieces, I would be thrilled.

I've enjoyed this offseason.... to an extent.

1) I can swallow the contract London Fletcher got... but I'm just not excited about it. It's not even about his age for me. Living shouting distance from Buffalo... I listen to their 24-hour sports talk radio every day. I'm pretty familiar with the Bills and their players.

Fletcher is a guy who reminds me of another Bills MLB we signed years ago - Marvcus Patton. A guy who puts up nice stats for tackles... all 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

And that doesn't instill confidence in me.... I'd like a playmaker at the position.

(2) Fred Smoot. I've never been a fan of this guy... who talks a big game and Redskins fans dig him for it. However, I judge a guy buy his field of work... and frankly, I was never impressed. As a nickel corner... I can live with. If he's ever a starter... I'm going to be sick to my stomach if we lose Springs/Rogers to injury.

(3) I like the Wade and Fabini signings. Some depth and veteran experience. Obviously, the Skins need to address the depth here with some youth. And soon. None of Joe Bugel's projects are working out.... which also signifies to me that Bugel should be out of work.

(4) I liked the Betts signing... decent price for a backup runninback capable of starting and it gives the Redskins trade leverage in the future (good contract, long-term).

(5) When is this team going to get a friggin GM? Now rumor has it that the Skins might overhaul the FO after the draft.... so I'm hopeful. If not, I'll be pissed.

I am satisfied with the Boys off-season thus far...i wanted to see Deilman signed, but I will take Davis. I know what the knock is on him and it does have me somewhat worried, but all in all it is an upgrade and it will make the line better.

I really like the 1 year signing of Hamlin. He will make this team better and that was a good move. Mcbriar was a must and i love that deal.

I hate the trade JJ talk, i love JJ and want him to stay in Dallas. I hope he stays

I like the tender they gave Crayton, we keep him another year, but if by some crazy reason another team signs him, we get a 2nd round pick...that would be awesome, as much as i love Crayton, he is not in value worth a 2nd round pick.

I give Dallas 2.5 out of 4 stars so far on the off season.

The trade for Spikes makes up for alot, but I'm still bitter about losing Stallworth, I guess cause I ordered his jersey about 10 minutes after watching him on opening day.

Overall, looking at the team overall, my opinion has changed, about a week ago, me and OWU were having a talk on the site...I basically said this team was worst than it was 6 weeks ago, now, with the addition of Spikes and a solid pick up in Holcumb, this team has dramactically improved. If Reid and company draft Griffin, Hunt or Bush, and add depth, this might off-season might be considered a coup.

P.S......the F.O. is still cheap...but then again, I'm cheap also....and I'm a pretty damn good guy!

Mad my giants didn't get a speed back or change of pace back yet.

Mad the giants didn't get Al Wilson, I have heard he could be cut. I am almost positive that he failed the physical because of Denver's asking price, he is probably not 100% but he will play and play well this year imo.

Mad they cut petitgout, i wanted him to play out his contract.

Thrilled the giants got Droughns for a sack of bones.

Thrilled the giants got a potential starter at SLB and excellent depth at mlb for 1 mill.

Thrilled Jacobs has been working with tiki's trainer, the exercises and lifts tiki did were insane.

Happy the giants let Jay Feely go, no one trusted him and his leg strength disappeared. Let Houston compete with a FA (soon to be mare) for the job.

Happy the giants cut emmons and arrington, they barely played or did anything of importance.

Happy they resigned ohara, darius watts, gibirl wilson, chase blackburn, reggie torbor, and reugemer.

I am excited the giants might finally have an aggressive DC again, depends on what spags philosiphy is and what he thinks the player's strengths are.

Overall i am fine with the offseason, the giants need to do well in the draft though. They still need 1 more backup on the oline, 2 more linebackers, and in my opinion 1 more DT in the rotation. I would not be surprised if spags wants open competition with the current roster for the corner and safety spots, the players are all aggressive and not zone players at all.

Calling Leonard Davis anything but a questionable move is an exercise in blind homerism.

The guy couldn't make the roster of a team with the worst o-line in the NFL.

give it a rest, to say he could not make the roster is a pile of BS....players wear out welcoms or need change, but to say he could not make the roster is not a fair statement.

Davis signing ranks (in almost all neutral football experts opinion) as a very good FA pick up....

You know it's a bad sign when Cardinals fans are laughing at you.

:laugh:

Well whatever, The Cards fans are always laughing...at their own team. Do you think I care what Cardinal fans are thinking...they wouldnt know what a good player is, players dissapear in Arizona.

Smoot could not make the Minny roster, but the Skins signed him.

Fabini couln not make the Dallas roster (worst Line in the NFCE and the NFL according to some) yet the skins sign him

Stoudimire (sp?) could not make the Saints roster (horrible secondary) the Skins sign him...

my god, Dockery could not make the Skins roster but the Bills give him 50 Million!!!

see...thats just BS...its called NFL FA in the Salary Cap era...

Archived