Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is a conflict possible between Briggs and Fletcher?

mistertim

I know, I know. Not another Briggs thread. But this was something that came to mind and I was wondering what you all think.

One of the reasons Briggs wants to leave Chicago is because he wants to be "the guy". The one who runs things, calls the plays, is viewed as the best...not be in the shadow of Urlacher basically. We brought London Fletcher in to run the defense on the field and call the plays. If the Briggs deal goes through could there possibly be a conflict there since Briggs might want to try to do what Fletcher is supposed to be doing, or would just being the (most likely) best LB out there with the best recognition be good enough for him?

umm, I recall Briggs wanting to leave because they wouldnt give him a long term deal... He said he is fine with not being "the guy" so long as he has job security. If theres conflict between him and anyone it would be the coaches similar in the LA situation because he was "the guy" until we got new Defensive coaches and there were schemes/jobs.

I don't see this happening at all. I understand the concern but from all reports Briggs is a great locker room presence, and if anything, Fletcher, Briggs, Washington, Rocky, et al, would get along very well and gel. I think adding him to the mix may put together a group of like minded players. Briggs was disgruntled like Portis remember. He outperformed his contract and wants what he earned. By all accounts, this kid is fairly down to earth and a hard worker.

I don't see this happening at all. I understand the concern but from all reports Briggs is a great locker room presence, and if anything, Fletcher, Briggs, Washington, Rocky, et al, would get along very well and gel. I think adding him to the mix may put together a group of like minded players. Briggs was disgruntled like Portis remember. He outperformed his contract and wants what he earned. By all accounts, this kid is fairly down to earth and a hard worker.

That is good to hear. I hadn't heard much about him personally or his locker room presence. I had simply read that that was, while obviously not his main issue, one of the issues he had with being there. Perhaps that is incorrect. If so, then my apologies.

:cheers:

Also right now Washington is "the guy" in our LB core. I know he's not a MLB but he is the leader of the front seven, no doubt. His outstanding year in 2004 earned him that respect. Fletcher will have to earn it this year. Same with Briggs if he ends up here. It's all about Marcus Washington in my book.

Also right now Washington is "the guy" in our LB core. I know he's not a MLB but he is the leader of the front seven, no doubt. His outstanding year in 2004 earned him that respect. Fletcher will have to earn it this year. Same with Briggs if he ends up here. It's all about Marcus Washington in my book.

amen brother

This is a good point because Briggs says all this stuff about wanting his own team like Urlacher has but I think that it is all talk. If he got paid like a number 1 guy I cant really see him complaining too much. Too me this was just a better way of saying that he wanted to be paid more than Urlacher.

I know, I know. Not another Briggs thread. But this was something that came to mind and I was wondering what you all think.

One of the reasons Briggs wants to leave Chicago is because he wants to be "the guy". The one who runs things, calls the plays, is viewed as the best...not be in the shadow of Urlacher basically. We brought London Fletcher in to run the defense on the field and call the plays. If the Briggs deal goes through could there possibly be a conflict there since Briggs might want to try to do what Fletcher is supposed to be doing, or would just being the (most likely) best LB out there with the best recognition be good enough for him?

Where are you getting this???? Like several people on this board have said before, the reason Briggs said he'll hold out is because he's not getting a long term extension. He doesn't care if he's the guy or Urlacher is. As a matter of fact, everyone on that team concedes to Urlacher and have said so in public. Briggs said he wants out because even though the players and coaches are committed to him, the Front Office has failed to show him the same commitment by not negotiating a long term deal. Get your facts straight before you start a thread on your own assumptions.

Trade up for Calvin Johnson then get Lance Briggs. Make Lance Briggs eat Calvin Johnson so he turns into super Lance Briggs and then just sacks everybody and we win the Super Bowl.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Holy crap, this had me rolling. The guys in my office thought I went nuts! :cheers:

Also right now Washington is "the guy" in our LB core. I know he's not a MLB but he is the leader of the front seven, no doubt. His outstanding year in 2004 earned him that respect. Fletcher will have to earn it this year. Same with Briggs if he ends up here. It's all about Marcus Washington in my book.[/quote]

I totally agree that anyone coming in new must earn their just due, however, as much as I am a MW fan, I truly beleive that London Fletcher is brought in to lead the defense. I think Fletcher has proven plenty, even if it was elsewhere.

:helmet: :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck :helmet: :cheers:

Archived