Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vent - for those who coach kids sports and have been accused of racism

Sisyphus

Anyone been accused of racism for not allowing a kid to train with a kids sports team? :doh:

Given that some of the coaches and a number of the other participants are of the same race as the accuser, it's a patently ridiculous accusation.

For what it's worth, the kid isn't welcome because he doesn't want to be there, and he comes with a mother who needs to STFU and let the coaches coach, or start her own team. :laugh:

I should just let it go, but as it was someone else who was accused, I feel I ought to support them and I'm curious if anyone has taken such matters further?

Parents will use anything in the book concernings kids sports, usually because their kids suck at the sport.

The kid has reasonable talent ... but we choose not to waste our time on kids who don't try, and parents who interfere. That's why pursuing the issue is against my better judgement as we hoped by keeping lazy kids and their trouble parents OUT of the program we'd avoid these kids of issues. :doh::laugh:

It just pisses me off so much when someone who gives nothing feels entitled to make those kinds of accusations. I need a parent volunteer to sign up for the role of team rottweiler/legal counsel and set them in attack mode. :redpunch:

I remember pitching in little league and another kid on the teams father thought his kid should pitch. He confronted my coach in the parking lot and started yelling at him. It turned violent. I was only 13 but I realized at that point that parents can lose their grip on reality over their children and sports. I'm trying to get into high school coaching and I can only imagine how political and tense that can get.

In your situation it makes me feel bad for the kid. That kid is F'ed if his parent openly pulls the race card when there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Now that kid will pull the race card whenever they don't get what they want. Because they will use it as a crutch they will never fully understand racism and that is very bad.

I think we've all seen the overzealous parents on the sidelines thrashing about and screaming at the coach and generally making asses of themselves. I find it disturbing that probably the biggest downfall to coaching (and teaching, for that matter) is the parents, not the kids. There's always the one jerk who ruins it for everyone.

I remember pitching in little league and another kid on the teams father thought his kid should pitch. He confronted my coach in the parking lot and started yelling at him. It turned violent. I was only 13 but I realized at that point that parents can lose their grip on reality over their children and sports. I'm trying to get into high school coaching and I can only imagine how political and tense that can get.

I agree with Skinstzar, you should fight the woman.

I think we've all seen the overzealous parents on the sidelines thrashing about and screaming at the coach and generally making asses of themselves. I find it disturbing that probably the biggest downfall to coaching (and teaching, for that matter) is the parents, not the kids. There's always the one jerk who ruins it for everyone.

Yep,I enjoyed working with the kids but dealing with parents finally caused me to give it up after 15 yrs. I still give free instruction on a individual level,but team sports?...No way.

I agree with Skinstzar, you should fight the woman.

I think I could take her ... :laugh: :redpunch::hammer:

It's ironic that when you exclude people from participating to avoid the trouble they'll bring, they just find another way to waste your time.:doh1::doh:

My dad encountered a drunk and rowdy parent one time when coaching my little league baseball team. Guy was cursing him and calling stupid and stuff. My dad walked over to the bleachers and said to the other parents "either you get rid of him and I never hear that stuff again, or I will forfeit the game right now and your kids will lose. And I'll do it everytime this happens from now on." The other parents took care of him and he never had another problem.

My dad encountered a drunk and rowdy parent one time when coaching my little league baseball team. Guy was cursing him and calling stupid and stuff. My dad walked over to the bleachers and said to the other parents "either you get rid of him and I never hear that stuff again, or I will forfeit the game right now and your kids will lose. And I'll do it everytime this happens from now on." The other parents took care of him and he never had another problem.

Your father is a wise man...

"but we choose not to waste our time on kids who don't try, and parents who interfere. That's why pursuing the issue is against my better judgement as we hoped by keeping lazy kids and their trouble parents OUT of the program we'd avoid these kids of issues."

just a question, but is this a public program? (i.e.: Little League, Dixie Youth, Babe Ruth, etc.) if so, how do you get to "choose" to not "waste your time"

"but we choose not to waste our time on kids who don't try, and parents who interfere. That's why pursuing the issue is against my better judgement as we hoped by keeping lazy kids and their trouble parents OUT of the program we'd avoid these kids of issues."

just a question, but is this a public program? (i.e.: Little League, Dixie Youth, Babe Ruth, etc.) if so, how do you get to "choose" to not "waste your time"

What are you suggesting? That they have a right to join any program? We are excluding someone based on past behavior. From their reaction, they are an even worse person than we had realized before we made the decision that they would not be welcome.

In your situation it makes me feel bad for the kid. That kid is F'ed if his parent openly pulls the race card when there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Now that kid will pull the race card whenever they don't get what they want. Because they will use it as a crutch they will never fully understand racism and that is very bad.

I think some people on this board can be accused of that. I'm pretty tired of being called a racist by some people who don't even know what the word means.

Anyone been accused of racism for not allowing a kid to train with a kids sports team? :doh:

Given that some of the coaches and a number of the other participants are of the same race as the accuser, it's a patently ridiculous accusation.

For what it's worth, the kid isn't welcome because he doesn't want to be there, and he comes with a mother who needs to STFU and let the coaches coach, or start her own team. :laugh:

I should just let it go, but as it was someone else who was accused, I feel I ought to support them and I'm curious if anyone has taken such matters further?

I am confused by the scenario. What kind of kids' sports team limits participation?

**What are you suggesting?**

as the opening statement said, I'm just asking a question. I'm not suggesting anything. Asking a question gives people more insight to better respond to your initial post.

thank you for not answering a simple question. what are you inherently suggesting by not answering the question?

or as LKB said, "What kind of kids' sports team limits participation?"

I've never been in that exact situation, but I teach at a school which is majority African American, so I occasionally get the "you're a racist!" comment when I enforce discipline. It seems to be lost on a few students that were I actually a racist, I probably wouldn't choose a career which pays less than other fields I could be in, then choose to work in such a school when I could transfer to a lilly white school like Langley.

There's not much to be done, though. Some people externalize all their failures and shortcomings, so as not to have to face any ugly truths about themselves, and a lot of times, the race card actually works (though never with me :)).

I am confused by the scenario. What kind of kids' sports team limits participation?

A running club. What difference does it make? There are only so many coaches and a reasonable ratio has to be maintained, other wise it turns into an unpaid child-care service.

Any league should have the ability to say to a parent that they are not welcome.

**What are you suggesting?**

as the opening statement said, I'm just asking a question. I'm not suggesting anything. Asking a question gives people more insight to better respond to your initial post.

thank you for not answering a simple question. what are you inherently suggesting by not answering the question?

or as LKB said, "What kind of kids' sports team limits participation?"

Competitive ones? :whoknows:

After i was 11, all the sports i played had tryouts to be in the higher levels.

A running club. What difference does it make? There are only so many coaches and a reasonable ratio has to be maintained, other wise it turns into an unpaid child-care service.

Any league should have the ability to say to a parent that they are not welcome.

I agree. Unless you are publicly sponsered, you should get to choose who you want to spend your time with.

**Unless you are publicly sponsered**

ding, ding, ding....which is why I asked the simple, stupid question......... :doh:

so, let me try this again...is a public or private organization?

No it's not a public organization.

**Unless you are publicly sponsered**

ding, ding, ding....which is why I asked the simple, stupid question......... :doh:

so, let me try this again...is a public or private organization?

Unfortunately, you gave Little League and Babe Ruth as examples, which arent publicly sponsered as far as I know.

Archived