Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC BREAKING NEWS: UK says 15 soldiers detained by Iranian navy

heyholetsgogrant

UK says 15 soldiers detained by Iranian navy

BREAKING NEWS

MSNBC News Services

Updated: 6 minutes ago

LONDON - Iranian naval vessels seized 15 British Navy personnel in Iraqi waters on Friday, the Ministry of Defense said.

The British personnel were "engaged in routine boarding operations of merchant shipping in Iraqi territorial waters," and had completed their inspection of a merchant ship when they were accosted by Iranian vessels, the ministry said in a statement.

Story continues below ↓advertisement

"We are urgently pursuing this matter with the Iranian authorities at the highest level and ... the Iranian ambassador has been summoned to the Foreign Office," the ministry said.

Source: MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17752685/

As seems to be usual with me, some scattered thoughts:

Wondering how many of the people who were pounding their chests and cheering at the thought of the US disappearing some Iranian generals, will now claim that this seizure of military personnel is an act of war.

Wondering how naval personnel engaged in border security enforcement in a war zone allowed their ship to be approached by a military vessel, and allowed their personnel to be captured, apparently without a fight.

Wondering how many of the people who were pounding their chests and cheering at the thought of the US disappearing some Iranian generals, will now claim that this seizure of military personnel is an act of war.

Wondering how naval personnel engaged in border security enforcement in a war zone allowed their ship to be approached by a military vessel, and allowed their personnel to be captured, apparently without a fight.

I think if you reread the article you will see that your second scattered thought does not describe the situation that actually happened. It looks like the Brits boarded a merchant ship, and were not allowed to leave.

Funny how with every story posted on this website, you always take the opposing stance against America or is allies. You disgust me along with the other crazy left wingers on this website. Why don't you give the good guys the benefit of the doubt every once in a while?

Funny how with every story posted on this website, you always take the opposing stance against America or is allies. You disgust me along with the other crazy left wingers on this website. Why don't you give the good guys the benefit of the doubt every once in a while?

Ah, I love the smell of righteous indignation in the morning.

I think if you reread the article you will see that your second scattered thought does not describe the situation that actually happened. It looks like the Brits boarded a merchant ship, and were not allowed to leave.
Iranian naval vessels seized 15 British Navy personnel in Iraqi waters on Friday, the Ministry of Defense said.

The British personnel were "engaged in routine boarding operations of merchant shipping in Iraqi territorial waters," and had completed their inspection of a merchant ship when they were accosted by Iranian vessels, the ministry said in a statement.

Hey guys, he's right. We're the good guys and we are fighting the forces of evil. Go go power rangers.

These types of things are never clear but I'm sure that there will be many now clamoring for retribution. Let's wait until the facts are more apparent. I'm always wary of "breaking news."

Though the Iranian govt should know this is an inflammatory act. Especially considering the high tensions in the region.

1. There is no proof the US is behind any missing Generals that has all been specualtive to this point, and what would the US gain if they really were behind it? Do you really think a few Irania Generals mean that much to the US, we would take them out with the first few bombs anyway.

The seizure of military personnel could may well be considered an act of war.

2. Just because your "approached" does not mean your going to be taken captive and borded, Im sure they see Iranian naval ships all the time in while patroling the normal shipping lanes of the gulf.

Allow me to point out that I was one of the people who was (cautiously) approving of our disapearing of those Iranian Generals.

I'm guilty of my own offense of reacting differently when the shoe's on the other foot.

Allow me to point out that I was one of the people who was (cautiously) approving of our disapearing of those Iranian Generals.

I'm guilty of my own offense of reacting differently when the shoe's on the other foot.

Please forgive me for overlooking those rarest of admissions.:rolleyes:

2. Just because your "approached" does not mean your going to be taken captive and borded, Im sure they see Iranian naval ships all the time in while patroling the normal shipping lanes of the gulf.

You're probably right. (Or at least, it's a plausable theory.)

They're doing their checkpoint thing. Along comes an Iranian navy boat. (Although, are Iranian military vessels really that common in Iraqi territorial waters?) Yeah, we're in a kind-of state of "cold war" with the Iranians, but that doesn't mean you open fire on their approach.

Link to BBC- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6484279.stm

I like this part the best,

"Whatever the rights and wrongs of military action, British forces in Iraq are now there with the authority of a UN security council resolution... and the Iranian government should be left in no doubt of the serious implications of their action,"

So Iran technically is openly defying the UN not just the UK or as some like to implicate the the USA.

I like this part the best,

"Whatever the rights and wrongs of military action, British forces in Iraq are now there with the authority of a UN security council resolution... and the Iranian government should be left in no doubt of the serious implications of their action,"

So Iran technically is openly defying the UN not just the UK or as some like to implicate the the USA.

Wow, you mean the UN authorized a military invasion and occupation of Iraq?

Darn that liberal media. They said we attempted to get UN authorization and then withdrew the request when we figured out that we weren't even going to get a majority vote.

Darn that liberal media. They said we attempted to get UN authorization and then withdrew the request when we figured out that we weren't even going to get a majority vote.

"We" being the US, but this is not the US that is in this current situation, its the UK, and the UK have there own provisions for being there that are backed by a UN resolution. I could see how you got confused though,....US...UK....there almost the same but diffrent.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but your entire argument is that what the Iranians did is okay, because other nations do it to. And nobody should have the right to call them on it, because doing so would be hypocritical.

So I can come over to your house, kick you in the nuts... and tell you not to get upset about it because it's not nearly as bad as some of the violence going on around your area.

You know it honestly doesn't look like Larry took a stance against the US or it's allies. Looks to me like he's poking fun at right wingers.

But in keeping with the theme: Funny how right wingers always consider themselves and their views as America, as if they were the sole representatives of the US of A.

Archived