Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Speeding In Virginia

PotomacSkinsFan

Wow I didn't know an ambulance could break 100! Thanks for your service.

When I hit 100 I also hit something called "The Governor" which automatically causes the vehicle to slow down.

Both times luckily it was a clear night and I was on the interstate on a straight away.

First time it was Christmas night and I was just trying to get someone to the hospital who was obivously out of it.

Second time was a little old lady who was injured in a fall badly and was showing the signs of a heart attack on the horizon....I will never forget hearing the phrase from the back, "MOVE IT NOW!" And just gunning it all the way.

When I hit 100 I also hit something called "The Governor" which automatically causes the vehicle to slow down.

Both times luckily it was a clear night and I was on the interstate on a straight away.

First time it was Christmas night and I was just trying to get someone to the hospital who was obivously out of it.

Second time was a little old lady who was injured in a fall badly and was showing the signs of a heart attack on the horizon....I will never forget hearing the phrase from the back, "MOVE IT NOW!" And just gunning it all the way.

they have a governor in an ambulance? doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

Not really in most cases, at least according to the video we saw, speed is not really as much of a factor as you'd think...it has more to do with paying attention to what is going on around you & your attitude.

In most situations what is required in driving is intellegence more than just floor it and go as fast as you can.

Now it has been about 7 years since I last did this but I doubt it has changed too much.

My first ever speeding ticket was 22 over :doh:. You are technically not supposed to be able to pre-pay those but the cop let me anyway (thank god). The county I was in was 3 hours south of here.

The same thing happened to me back in 1998. I was doing 86 in a 65 on I-95 south of Richmond. I was allowed to pre-pay the ticket and ended up with a 3 month suspension.

What really sucked was I had just gotten another ticket a week or two before and hadn't been to court yet or pre-paid it . So I ended up with 20 points total on my license (a few may have been from previous tickets I don't remember) and two consecutive 3 month suspensions. I had to take a class and pay $100 or something like that to get my license back and ended up with insurance costs of over $4000 a year (on a 95 Civic) until years later when my record was finally clean. I was under 18 at the time and never set foot in a jail though :laugh:. I'm pretty sure the laws have changed a bit since then.

102 mph is slooooooOOoooooOOOOoooooooooooow...depends though where you were doing it...on a country lane it's FAAAAAST!!! :D

BS. Some absolutely have speed limits. Regardless, there are lots of police on the German highways. Even on the parts where there is no STATED speed limit, they still look out for people that are driving excessively.

In addition, Italian and German roads are built properly, unlike American roads. They are built like race tracks (lean inside). But, moot point for this discussion. If you're driving that fast, and nobody else is, you're asking for death, and should be punished accordingly.

EDIT: Supposed to be in reference to your autobon statement.

We have governors on our fire trucks too. Our trucks will top out at 62 MPH. And as crazy as it sounds, when we respond to an incident we usually only exceed the posted speed limit by 10 MPH at the max. The reason - our city made all drivers sign an agreement stating that the driver accepts full responsibility for any accidents/tickets/lawsuits which result from us "driving recklessly" - which is defined as 10 MPH over the posted speed limit, or it could be even less if road conditions warrant.

BS. Some absolutely have speed limits. Regardless, there are lots of police on the German highways. Even on the parts where there is no STATED speed limit, they still look out for people that are driving excessively.

In addition, Italian and German roads are built properly, unlike American roads. They are built like race tracks (lean inside). But, moot point for this discussion. If you're driving that fast, and nobody else is, you're asking for death, and should be punished accordingly.

EDIT: Supposed to be in reference to your autobon statement.

There are police on Autobahns to see if people "drive excessively" despite there being no speed limit. It's like saying there are police in America to see if people eat tomatoe salad even though tomatoes aren't illegal. :laugh:

No..you're wrong. End of story.

20 years ago, 100 mph was very fast. 10 years ago it was fast. With cars nowadays (mine does 136 mph and it's just a normal four door Toyota) it's not fast. I did 100 mph in France plenty of time and it felt I was doing 40 mph.

Bleh :silly:

yeah i understand i was driving too fast. It was on I-95, and I do competitively race cars, so I am capable of handling them at that speed. But I do agree with the consensus that I should slow down out there.

Something that ticks me off though is Tony larussa is passed out with his engine running in the middle of an intersection drunk, and I paid more for bail and am being charged with the same kind of offense: a misdemeanor.

I just dont think it's fair that this carries the same weight as drunk driving.

Also, it's the first time I've ever even been pulled over. So dont think I'm some kind of an a-hole. most kids use their spring break to go get hammered in Mexico, I went to Carolina to visit my lonely grandmother. My question was for legal advice. Obviously suggestions like slow down, or grow up dont help me in this situation. I'm sure that everybody on this board has done some speeding in their day, so it's not too fair to judge me like Vinny Cerrato or something. I'm sure a lot of people here have done a lot worse things than simply driving their cars too fast.

This is a decent topic to ask this question...mine's not reckless but I was doing 16 over in a 30, 46 in a 30. I may be dumb but on the ticket it would mention reckless driving not just speeding correct? What is the reckless driving start, I believe it's 20 over but you can be given reckless for 15 over if the cop chooses to do so. Also I got the ticket in fairfax, anyone know the rate system(i.e. court cost plust $ amount per mile over). And where is the fairfax county court house so I can pay the ticket? Someone help me out please, thanks.

This is a decent topic to ask this question...mine's not reckless but I was doing 16 over in a 30, 46 in a 30. I may be dumb but on the ticket it would mention reckless driving not just speeding correct? What is the reckless driving start, I believe it's 20 over but you can be given reckless for 15 over if the cop chooses to do so. Also I got the ticket in fairfax, anyone know the rate system(i.e. court cost plust $ amount per mile over). And where is the fairfax county court house so I can pay the ticket? Someone help me out please, thanks.

it is either 56 or 57 court cost with $5/mile ove the speed limit you were going so lets say if you were going 16 over it would be either 136 or 137 dollars.

20 years ago, 100 mph was very fast. 10 years ago it was fast. With cars nowadays (mine does 136 mph and it's just a normal four door Toyota) it's not fast. I did 100 mph in France plenty of time and it felt I was doing 40 mph.

Yet human reaction time remains the same.

Thanks Reic. I have until April 10th, but I wanted to know how much to write the pre-pay check for.

There should be a number on the ticket you can call for information I do believe the court cost is 57 dollars now.

on my reckless ticket the charge was reckless by speed; not just speeding. I was lucky enough to be able to pre-pay because, usually, you can not pre-pay reckless tickets.

I don't know about that... They say that video games help drastically improve hand eye coordination... Doesn't that play a factor in reaction time?

that's a good point. people who spend so much time on these games like halo where you need quick reactions probably have enhanced reaction times.

I don't know about that... They say that video games help drastically improve hand eye coordination... Doesn't that play a factor in reaction time?

Thats assuming only the speeders out there play video games to that extent. And going at that speed you have to take into account the reaction times of other drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotomacSkinsFan

My question was for legal advice. Obviously suggestions like slow down, or grow up dont help me in this situation..

Slow down! Grow up! new_idea.gif

No better advice given...take your lumps and learn young blood. What was it Baretta said?

Archived