Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Consider this.. Landry to Skins.. Insight needed

Arsenic

Come on. Consider this NOT!!! Landry is not going to be a Redskin. We need DL and OF line help.

Too many responses, here, have failed to consider the fact that there are other ways to fix our DL problems. I obviously realize that we need DL help. I just feel there are less ways to fix our DB situation. Landry seems, to me, to be an immediate impact player. ST + LL = Turnover city.

Besides, isn't this the same exact DL we had 2 years ago?

Ide like to see the top 10 drafted DB to DL bust ratio. Although hard to acquire, that would be an interesting fact

Only time will tell

Too many responses, here, have failed to consider the fact that there are other ways to fix our DL problems. I obviously realize that we need DL help. I just feel there are less ways to fix our DB situation. Landry seems, to me, to be an immediate impact player. ST + LL = Turnover city.

thats exactly what i have been saying

GEEZEEE!!!

Besides, isn't this the same exact DL we had 2 years ago?

Ide like to see the top 10 drafted DB to DL bust ratio. Although hard to acquire, that would be an interesting fact

Only time will tell

If LL is signed it will be to cover our DL problems (along with tackling machine that is Fletcher) not fix them. However if LL is the best way to do this (because drafting one top DL won't FIX it) then so be it.

Whether we draft a DL or not we need to use high round picks on the line (both O and D) for a while.

I won't say that LL cannot achieve what we are after as a team though, if he really is the standout player that people are saying...

I still think we need a big DT to allow the players we have to make an impact but....

I would love L.L !!!! If we can get a 2nd rd pick and select a Dlineman,but Im starting to wonder which Dl is going to be the best out of the 4 or 5 mentioned with our 6th pick, L.L is by far the best Safety and defensive player coming out so I would not be upset with the pick!!!

Whom would you have not drafted?

Well, for a start, trading down multiple times in 2002 and drafting Ramsey, meanwhile skipping out on at least Charles Grant,Larry Triplett..

Or instead of Fred Smoot....... Shaun Rogers or Aaron Schobel

Or how bout instead of Taylor Jacobs.....Osi Umenyiora?

Or instead of Lavar.....Corey Simon or John Abraham??

I'm not saying you have to spend a first day pick every year on a Dlineman but not doing it for ten years is a bit much, don't you think ?

As Ghost of Nibbs mentioned above, look at teams like New England,Chicago,Philly,San Diego, Indy..etc. They don't shy away from investing a few draft picks into their Dline and look at the consistent success their D's have.

To me, it gets aggravating to year after year,after the first half of the first game of the season, realize we are embarking on another season with no pressure from our front four.

And each offseason the fanbase says the same thing: We need to draft a Dlineman. Yet as the draft approaches, the flavor of the month hype machine cranks up and you watch in horror as the Front Office and fans alike slowly start talking themselves out of drafting a DE or DT.

This year is no different.

i will give you ramsey and jacobs, but you would pass on LA without the benifit of hindsight? i dont believe smoot was a mistake either. the Ramsey year was the first year of the first draft day party, i remember a little kid with his notebook on the club level running off in disgust for not drafting albert haynesworth whom we were in line to pick.

If we do the following I'd be totally fine with this pick:

1) Trade Springs for a 3rd

2) Trade Arch to the Bears after June 1st for a 5th

3) Trade down 2-3 slots and pick up a 3rd

Then we could afford to draft safety because we could use our 2 x 3rd, and 1 x 5th to pick DE, DL, DL....

We wouldn't get game changers, but we might get serviceable players, who could play some next year, and maybe more in years to come....

after june 1st for a fifth.... yeah that sure would help us. i dont want to dump arch for a 5th, might as well keep him around, we just need to figure out how to use him

i agree with the threadstarter, but i disagree about arch. hes not going to get us squat.

today was an important day. supposedly the packers and raiders are definitely swapping something for randy moss, and aaron rodgers is supposedly headed to oakland. this means that they are 100% taking CJ (if this is all true), which means there are 2 top tier QBs could possibly fall to us for trade bait. if we traded up to the 7th 8th or 9th spot, landry will be there, and we'd have a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder to use on a DE.

im just concerned about anderson/adams/carriker and wondering if they are actually elite DEs. it seems like Landry is an elite Saftey, and it would be better off going with an elite saftey like him, and grabbing a 2nd tier DE with our other pick.

im also really hoping we trade springs for a 3rd rounder to some other team, cause that guy needs to go. i just want more draft picks, and im not sure any of these DEs are worth the 6th overall (or the 9th) overall pick. i could be wrong, who knows, i just want an improved defense and i hope our FO makes the right moves.

I agree with this almost 100%!!!

I've been ranting about getting one of the two safeties Landry or Nelson because I believe we'll actually be getting an elite player at a position of need instead of an average to above average NFL player at a position of need (see D-linemen available in draft.)

if you could just imagine with me for a moment, Taylor & Landry...placing the fear of GOD into offenses everywhere. nobody would be safe, receivers, QB's, RB's, TE's...heck, punters would even fear the pain that would be wrought upon their hapless souls should they choose to tempt fate against this tandem.

if we could pull off a 1-2 spot trade & add an additional 2nd rounder we'd be set. we would still need to address the D-line in some way, but depth would be a worthy compromise for acquiring such a beast at the SS position.

after june 1st for a fifth.... yeah that sure would help us. i dont want to dump arch for a 5th, might as well keep him around, we just need to figure out how to use him

I don't know what waiting after June first would benefit anyway. The only cap relief you get is when you CUT a player after June 1st. If you trade a player, it doesn't matter when you do it, the remainder of his bonus would count 100% against the cap for the year in which he was traded.

You guys remember the hit we took for trading Coles back to the Jets? The same thing would apply for Archuleta.

A lot of great posts and some really clever ideas. As regards Archuleta, maybe a few too-hopeful prayers that we could get some value for him.

It's getting very apparent how badly some of our 'slick' trades of the past are now coming back to haunt us.. We're getting old, cap-heavy, and lots of holes to fill. What's worse we haven't left ourselves enough picks before the 5th round to address those positional holes, and we are running out of $$$ to sign a free agent who 'might' solve the problem. If we want to fix the problem while Gibbs and our aging talent are still with us, then we may need to mortgage the future just a little bit more. (I explain later.)

I'm still sticking with my analysis that we need a DT badly, but Landry is such an elite player I feel we should at least consider how we might be able draft him and still meet our DT needs sufficiently.

I say he's elite, because considering our muddled defensive backfield, Landry's value goes up to almost a top-five pick. Landry is reputed to be extermely effective at making sure all his DB teammates are positioned correctly. He also brings solid character & gritty determination to the table along with his excellent physical talents. Landy would be way better than bringing in another Miami DB to match up with Taylor.

Snagging Landry won't be that easy, and really depends on how the draft unfolds -- after all we have urgent needs with other areas of the team. Moreover we need other teams to 'help' us. Here's one analysis.

Okay, if Skins stay conservative and simply make their pick at #6, I say we pick up Alan Branch as the DT 'widebody' the D-line needs to shut down the interior run; Branch would make others (Griff, the DEs, the linebackers) around him that much better. Simple, and we walk away better, and maybe we work some trade (future pick + player) for a draft pick to snag a decent DB further into the draft.

However, I suspect that Branch may not be there at #6, and if so then it becomes really interesting for Washington, faced with the likes of Okoye, Anderson, or Landry. Moreover, instead of a straight pick, we might then choose to wheel and deal

As I said early, Landy is probably the next player who could make everyone around him better, and the Def. Backfield needs that improvement. But we only go after Landry if we can work out something to bolster our interior D-line, otherwise we're still scramblng to stop the interior run.

Luckily, if Branch went before #6, that means some other elite player wasn't picked and is available at #6. Some team may want that elite player who is dropping, and that's where the Skins get leverage. If this happens, we then consider the trade down, maybe as far as #9, pick up Landry, having leveraged our 'favor' along with something else into some kind of high second-round pick.

What do we have available to consider adding into the mix for this leverage? Archuleta (somewhat), Springs (somewhat), maybe one of our several WRs or one of our second tier RBs, or .. (ouch)....most likely future draft picks. I don't want to give up more future draft picks, but considering the age and salary of this team, the future really is Now.

Heck, maybe we make it a really big deal by bundling draftpicks and unloading Archuleta in there to sweeten the pot. (After all, there may still be a few owners who think AA still has something left and that the 'Skins didn't use him right.)

Naturally, much of our dealing depends on who is willing to give us value for our #6 pick at that moment of truth. Ideally, we get a trading partner whose pick allows us to shore up the Safeties position with Landry and then use a high #2 to snag someone good for our DT position (like Tank, or that good Tennessee DT or that Gator DT with the character issues).

Okay, the scenarios may unfold differently but mainly the Skins work this to grab a good/great safety and DT and thus grow the D "stong up the middle again." After all, we have Fletcher-Baker who is decent at MLB, and as a SS Taylor would get to be more agressive closer on in ,which in turn could help our D versus the outside rush.

Sorry to slide DE down to a 3rd-tier concern; I just noticed how everyone in the NFC East is now picking up personnel for a QB's reliable short quick passes, say to an RB safety valve, or to quick TE or possession WRs. That along with the traditional NFC East running attack would effectively neutralize our investment in an outside pass-rush in 2007.

This was fun to mull over. Don't you love Draft-Day Dreaming... at least up until the Skins inevitable pop the dream by doing something you'd never have considered.

I don't know what waiting after June first would benefit anyway. The only cap relief you get is when you CUT a player after June 1st. If you trade a player, it doesn't matter when you do it, the remainder of his bonus would count 100% against the cap for the year in which he was traded.

You guys remember the hit we took for trading Coles back to the Jets? The same thing would apply for Archuleta.

I have been told by someone who is much smarter then me with these things that you can actually trade a player post june 1st and get the same cap relief as a cut with the new CBA. I don't think you can do it before the date on the calender though, like a standard cut.

First off he is far from a clone. He is 6'2" and 185. Taylor is 6'2" 230 lbs. Second off, the major need on this team is at DT or DE. We have sured up our secondary with Smoot and took care of the LBs with Fletcher. Next up is our defensive line.

If someone can guarantee and give us a draft pick back if Landry is not the next coming, then we may take him but noone can do that. Branch has every bit as good a chance as being a dominant DT, Anderson has every bit as good a chance at being a dominant DE and the same can be said about Adams.

Currently at safety we have the following:

AA

Chip Cox- whoever that is

Reed Doughty

Fox

Jerrell Pippens-whoever that is

PP

Sean Taylor

Sean Springs-maybe

Realistically and happily we can see Taylor accompanied by PP or VF (may be a solid play). Doughty has some potential but will never be great. We are fine at safety.

First off he is far from a clone. He is 6'2" and 185. Taylor is 6'2" 230 lbs.

1st of all landry is 6'0, 210 lbs. thats average at best. so whats this "taylor clone" crap all about? thats like comparing randy moss to santana moss. taylor is 6'3, 232lbs. :doh:

2ndly sean taylor is terrific in coverage. go (im talking to the guy who started this thread now by the way) watch what he did in college. in 2004 as a rookie. in 2005 he became the first shutdown-safety. he shut everyone down. randy moss when he was in his prime, terrell owens when he was in his prime, chad johnson and all the other guys. what a retarded thing to say that we need landry because taylor cant cover. unbelievable :doh:

Branch has every bit as good a chance as being a dominant DT, Anderson has every bit as good a chance at being a dominant DE and the same can be said about Adams.

neither branch or adams will be "DOMINANT" Adams is Weak at POA and Branch is friggin lazy

Here's a scouting report I found on Landry if true he seems like a stud. It plays up that he DOESN'T bite on play fakes and misdirection plays. I love Taylor but I think it would be hard to argue that this isn't his weakness. The scouting reports on Ware and Merriman the year we drafted Carlos Rodgers were very good. But we drafted Rodgers since it was a need spot. Seems like Landry is regarded as more of a sure thing than the high ranked DL players. So, if we can shoot down a few spots pick up a 2nd rounder and then get a DE (deep draft for that position) someone like Johnson, Spencer, Moses -- one of those guys am sure would be there. I'd love the move. I don't like the move though if we take him at #6.

LaRon Landry

S, LSU

War Room analysis

Coverage skills: Excels in all types of coverage. Can lock on tight ends man-to-man. In zone, reads quarterbacks well to break and close quickly. Can make plays along the sideline in deep coverage, breaking up passes or delivering hard hits after catches. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Consistently reads plays correctly and reacts quickly. Does not get fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection plays. Shows smooth and loose hips to change directions and burst the other way. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Has elite speed and an explosive closing burst to finish plays. Delivers violent hits. Grade: 8.0

Ball skills: Gets outside quickly to make interceptions or break up passes. Does not hesitate to get physical with receivers when going for balls. Grade: 7.5

Run support: Flies upfield in a flash to make hard hits. Moves well through traffic, avoiding blocks. When bending knees and maintaining good balance, is a great open-field tackler. Enjoys blowing up ballcarriers but sometimes launches himself and misses some tackles. Grade: 8.5

Bottom line: Landry has elite physical tools plus great instincts, toughness and competitiveness. He will be drafted high in the first round and become a great NFL safety, making an impact against the run and pass. He also should be a great immediate asset on special teams.

Its not a bad idea but it has a catch 22.

If we trade AA before the draft teams may think we are targeting a safety(though I actually think this wont be the case, everyone thinks we want a linemen, and Safety hasnt even been mentioned. Plus he didnt start last year, so its not like we are losing a starter). If we trade him after the draft, teams know we drafted a Safety and so are desperate to get rid of him, thus we dont get market value for him.

I will say this, while I would prefer a DLinemen, I think any position outside of the offense, and LBer wouldnt be a waste. If I didnt get a linemen with that #6 pick, id probobly have to go with Safety over CB.

thats exactly what i am thinking. you have obviously no clue what you're talking about. dont start anymore threads please. thank you.

This thread is about considering a possibility. Thanks for your great Insight.

A lot of great posts and some really clever ideas

Agreed. :applause:

what a retarded thing to say that we need landry because taylor cant cover.

Perhaps you should take a deep breath, go back and re-read what i actually wrote and then try quoting my words correctly.

One reason we've never done ratings before is because GOOD, thoughtful threads like this get lumped in with garbage threads because people who want something else will just ignore any of the conversation that can come from it.

Thanks, Art. I appreciate your good words. For the most part, people have been considerate and helpful with adding to the brainstorm. However, theres always the others.

:logo:

A lot of great posts and some really clever ideas. As regards Archuleta, maybe a few too-hopeful prayers that we could get some value for him.

It's getting very apparent how badly some of our 'slick' trades of the past are now coming back to haunt us.. We're getting old, cap-heavy, and lots of holes to fill. What's worse we haven't left ourselves enough picks before the 5th round to address those positional holes, and we are running out of $$$ to sign a free agent who 'might' solve the problem. If we want to fix the problem while Gibbs and our aging talent are still with us, then we may need to mortgage the future just a little bit more. (I explain later.)

I'm still sticking with my analysis that we need a DT badly, but Landry is such an elite player I feel we should at least consider how we might be able draft him and still meet our DT needs sufficiently.

I say he's elite, because considering our muddled defensive backfield, Landry's value goes up to almost a top-five pick. Landry is reputed to be extermely effective at making sure all his DB teammates are positioned correctly. He also brings solid character & gritty determination to the table along with his excellent physical talents. Landy would be way better than bringing in another Miami DB to match up with Taylor.

Snagging Landry won't be that easy, and really depends on how the draft unfolds -- after all we have urgent needs with other areas of the team. Moreover we need other teams to 'help' us. Here's one analysis.

Okay, if Skins stay conservative and simply make their pick at #6, I say we pick up Alan Branch as the DT 'widebody' the D-line needs to shut down the interior run; Branch would make others (Griff, the DEs, the linebackers) around him that much better. Simple, and we walk away better, and maybe we work some trade (future pick + player) for a draft pick to snag a decent DB further into the draft.

However, I suspect that Branch may not be there at #6, and if so then it becomes really interesting for Washington, faced with the likes of Okoye, Anderson, or Landry. Moreover, instead of a straight pick, we might then choose to wheel and deal

As I said early, Landy is probably the next player who could make everyone around him better, and the Def. Backfield needs that improvement. But we only go after Landry if we can work out something to bolster our interior D-line, otherwise we're still scramblng to stop the interior run.

Luckily, if Branch went before #6, that means some other elite player wasn't picked and is available at #6. Some team may want that elite player who is dropping, and that's where the Skins get leverage. If this happens, we then consider the trade down, maybe as far as #9, pick up Landry, having leveraged our 'favor' along with something else into some kind of high second-round pick.

What do we have available to consider adding into the mix for this leverage? Archuleta (somewhat), Springs (somewhat), maybe one of our several WRs or one of our second tier RBs, or .. (ouch)....most likely future draft picks. I don't want to give up more future draft picks, but considering the age and salary of this team, the future really is Now.

Heck, maybe we make it a really big deal by bundling draftpicks and unloading Archuleta in there to sweeten the pot. (After all, there may still be a few owners who think AA still has something left and that the 'Skins didn't use him right.)

Naturally, much of our dealing depends on who is willing to give us value for our #6 pick at that moment of truth. Ideally, we get a trading partner whose pick allows us to shore up the Safeties position with Landry and then use a high #2 to snag someone good for our DT position (like Tank, or that good Tennessee DT or that Gator DT with the character issues).

Okay, the scenarios may unfold differently but mainly the Skins work this to grab a good/great safety and DT and thus grow the D "stong up the middle again." After all, we have Fletcher-Baker who is decent at MLB, and as a SS Taylor would get to be more agressive closer on in ,which in turn could help our D versus the outside rush.

Sorry to slide DE down to a 3rd-tier concern; I just noticed how everyone in the NFC East is now picking up personnel for a QB's reliable short quick passes, say to an RB safety valve, or to quick TE or possession WRs. That along with the traditional NFC East running attack would effectively neutralize our investment in an outside pass-rush in 2007.

This was fun to mull over. Don't you love Draft-Day Dreaming... at least up until the Skins inevitable pop the dream by doing something you'd never have considered.

Now this is what this message board is all about. :applause: You, sir, are a genius. :notworthy

Thanks for your contribution. :cheers:

The possiblities are endless. Certainly no one knows what Gibbs & Co. are planning to do come draft day. However, please consider what i believe the Redskins may be brewing. Your insight is also necessary to complete the idea. Thanks -Pick

The Redskins were salivating at last years potentially deadly safety tandem. However, Archuletta's coverage skills didnt pan out as expected. If the skins were to grab LaRon Landry at #6, the secondary would not only be complete, but it would be everything it was expected to be a year ago. I recall someone, in another thread, wishing we could only clone sean taylor. This would be exactly that and maybe more with Landrys coverage skills possibly being better than Taylors.

I know what youre thinking: "Wait a minute ***hole, our d-line is horrible!." Or how about "Secondary is nothing without line help"

Now Archuletta is expendable. I'de imagine we could get a solid defensive lineman for him. This may be why we're seemingly waiting to move the safety. If a later drafting team is targetting Landry and realizes that we've traded Archuletta they would most certainly move up ahead of us to grab Landry. So we keep quiet about our potential Archuletta trade until after the draft.

Question #1:

What other teams would want Archuletta and what defensive lineman would they be willing to trade for him?

Question #2:

What other team would be willing to trade a draft pick for Archuletta, so that we could aquire a DT or DE?

Landry is probably the best playmaker on defense in this draft... If we get him, I'd be happy. I'd also be happy if we picked D-Line instead. However, I have no problem with them selecting this guy.

Archived