Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Consider this.. Landry to Skins.. Insight needed

Arsenic

This thread is about considering a possibility. Thanks for your great Insight.

do you really think a rookie safety could help our pathetic defense out right now? what we need is a run stopping LB (fletcher), DT/DE and another pass rushing d-lineman. not no god damn safety.

Perhaps you should take a deep breath, go back and re-read what i actually wrote and then try quoting my words correctly.

here you go, mel kiper jr:

This would be exactly that and maybe more with Landrys coverage skills possibly being better than Taylors.

do you really think a rookie safety could help our pathetic defense out right now? what we need is a run stopping LB (fletcher), DT/DE and another pass rushing d-lineman. not no god damn safety.

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but we've already signed the run stopping MLB London Fletcher, so we no longer need him, and let me ask you this, if a rookie safety cannot help our "pathetic" defense, then what makes you think that drafting a DE or a DT will make an imediate impact? God has nothing to do with this.

here you go, mel kiper jr:

Obviously, I'm not the one beating on his chest and acting like he's Mel Kiper JR :laugh: Attack the post and not the poster please. Please slow up a bit on the personal insults ok?.

"This would be exactly that and maybe more with Landrys coverage skills "possibly" being better than Taylors."

Yeah, that's what I said, I still don't think you're getting it though. Notice I said "possibly" Afterall, the draft is all about speculation and possibility, anyway, there are many articles floating around that happen to state that landry is a great coverage guy, appearently, you didn't get the memo.

So why are you irritated by the idea so much? Do you have some kind of secret man crush on one of these flashy DE's that you're not telling anyone about? If you do it's ok.

Look I know the defensive line is a needy position, but there's 800 threads out there for you to post in. This is for those people who want to consider different options; the safety positon is a position of need btw.

He could be the next Ed Reed or he could be the next Derrick Gibson (who?).

To the person who said we were solid at safety:

WHAT?!? Are you kidding me? Pierson Prioleau has had injury problems in Buffalo and while he was here in DC.

Adam Archuleta (cough cough, do I really need to explain myself on this one).

Vernon Fox is nothing more than a special teamer.

Shawn Springs, his situation with the team isn't certain, and he would have to agree to move to safety first. So now we're counting on a corner in his 30's, that's never started at the position before to solve our SS position?

Really, the idea is not all that "out there". It makes sense, it's just contradicts with what some of you want.

I am not opposed to the BPA theory.

My only issue is with allocation of resources. Right now, in the secondary, you have two top ten picks (Carlos and Taylor), a high-priced free agent (Springs), a medium-priced free agent (Smoot), and a high-priced free agent bust (Archuleta). If you throw another top ten pick into that mix, how much of the team's resources (draft picks and money) would be in one unit?

That just seems a little wasteful to me when there is such a huge need on the line. If the team had recently spent a high draft pick on a lineman or brought in a lineman in FA, I could easily get on board with this plan.

the whole question it boils down to is this.

if we draft a DE and start vernon Fox at saftey (becuase im assuming PP wont be ready), will that DE have enough of impact as a pass rusher/run stopper to make Fox look decent? because if we put all of our eggs in one basket with a DE and he flops, were screwed to all hell.

if we trade down a tad, draft this landry kid and nab a 2nd round pick for a DE, will landry be elite and would a hopefully decent DE make enough impact to make our better secondary good?

these are the two scenarios, im cool with either one at this point because nothing is sure, but i just worry about the DEs theyre talking about. i guess we'll have to wait and see.

I am not opposed to the BPA theory.

My only issue is with allocation of resources. Right now, in the secondary, you have two top ten picks (Carlos and Taylor), a high-priced free agent (Springs), a medium-priced free agent (Smoot), and a high-priced free agent bust (Archuleta). If you throw another top ten pick into that mix, how much of the team's resources (draft picks and money) would be in one unit?

I see your point about the money. But the production is key. Yes we need dl help baaaad, but Landry def could help. AA blows, PP is coming off of injury, Fox may be a nice backup. All of the other guys just take up space on the roster.

the whole question it boils down to is this.

if we draft a DE and start vernon Fox at saftey (becuase im assuming PP wont be ready), will that DE have enough of impact as a pass rusher/run stopper to make Fox look decent? because if we put all of our eggs in one basket with a DE and he flops, were screwed to all hell.

if we trade down a tad, draft this landry kid and nab a 2nd round pick for a DE, will landry be elite and would a hopefully decent DE make enough impact to make our better secondary good?

these are the two scenarios, im cool with either one at this point because nothing is sure, but i just worry about the DEs theyre talking about. i guess we'll have to wait and see.

I agree, but that is the BEST case scenario.

I admit I'm not too familiar with Landry, but considering the Redskins' needs I wouldn't take him at #6 if he were Lawrence Taylor.

Before everyone blasts me out of the water, we already have our playmaker in ST. But even LT had a strong supporting cast that allowed him to play like the madman he was.

If they can get Landry (I've seen mocks showing him going off the board anywhere from 6 to 12) AND move down, I'm for it. Personally, there's little chance I'd even keep the 6. My primary reason for saying that is I don't want this just to be (basically) another one-and-done draft. We need more than one top-tier player, no matter whom it might be.

I strongly agree with other posters on this board that we need some DLine help. My preference, over another safety, would be DE, then DT.

Most Mocks have him going to ATL at #10. If CJ drops to us (doubtful) we can trade down with ATL and hold out for picks 10 & 44. We take Landry to pair with Taylor and then at 44 we take best available DL...DE Crowder, DE Moses, DT Harrell, DE Moss. We then trade AA to CHI for #94 and then we can take best available OG, CB, TE...

TE Patrick would be nice.

GENIUS! I hope we can pull something like this off. :applause:

It seems that this draft is extremely deep on talented DL prospects. That being the case, while I do believe we do need a DL, Landry wouldn't be a bad pick if we could trade down, gather a high second round pick and pick up one of the available D-lineman. Chances are the impact a first round dl pick and second round dl pick are probably going to be pretty much the same. But a top flight S that can seriously cover would make our secondary serious.

i def see your points and you could be right. I mean our D proved last year that they had the ability to get pressure. We got to Romo sits to pee alot in that game. Now why they didnt do it on a consistent basis?? I dont know. But with an even stronger secondary maybe our D line wouldnt need to be that good. But it sure would help.

i def see your points and you could be right. I mean our D proved last year that they had the ability to get pressure. We got to Romo sits to pee alot in that game. Now why they didnt do it on a consistent basis?? I dont know. But with an even stronger secondary maybe our D line wouldnt need to be that good. But it sure would help.

If you generate more natural pressure from front four it gives you greater flexibility for stunting... instead of needing to rely on it just to get any pressure at all. With a beastly line you can more often get away with having less effective scrubs in the nickel or dime packages, because a good line improves the secondary by pressuring the QB to make quicker decisions.

The possiblities are endless. Certainly no one knows what Gibbs & Co. are planning to do come draft day. However, please consider what i believe the Redskins may be brewing. Your insight is also necessary to complete the idea. Thanks -Pick

The Redskins were salivating at last years potentially deadly safety tandem. However, Archuletta's coverage skills didnt pan out as expected. If the skins were to grab LaRon Landry at #6, the secondary would not only be complete, but it would be everything it was expected to be a year ago. I recall someone, in another thread, wishing we could only clone sean taylor. This would be exactly that and maybe more with Landrys coverage skills possibly being better than Taylors.

I know what youre thinking: "Wait a minute ***hole, our d-line is horrible!." Or how about "Secondary is nothing without line help"

Now Archuletta is expendable. I'de imagine we could get a solid defensive lineman for him. This may be why we're seemingly waiting to move the safety. If a later drafting team is targetting Landry and realizes that we've traded Archuletta they would most certainly move up ahead of us to grab Landry. So we keep quiet about our potential Archuletta trade until after the draft.

Question #1:

What other teams would want Archuletta and what defensive lineman would they be willing to trade for him?

No team would want him with his current contract.

Question #2:

What other team would be willing to trade a draft pick for Archuletta, so that we could aquire a DT or DE?

No team would want him with his current contract.

So, this wont work, and our secondary will get just as toasted as it did last year even if we did.

I wouldn't mind trading down in the draft, snagging Landry and then drafting a defensive lineman in the second or third round. (With picks acquired from trading down).

I think people forget sometimes that there's more than one round in the draft; I know, I know, we only have a first round pick, but it looks more promising day by day that we are going to have the option to trade down.

I wouldn't mind trading down in the draft, snagging Landry and then drafting a defensive lineman in the second or third round. (With picks acquired from trading down).

I think people forget sometimes that there's more than one round in the draft; I know, I know, we only have a first round pick, but it looks more promising day by day that we are going to have the option to trade down.

You make some good points, AmishGangster. :applause:

The core of the team is good, but let's stock up on some young blood, keep our future picks and NOT have a bare cupboard (again) when Joe goes off into the sunset (again). That strategy will still allow us to have a good team this year!

Archived