Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Consider this.. Landry to Skins.. Insight needed

Arsenic

What's all this talk about getting a draft pick for Adam Archuleta? I think we're lucky we don't have to pay some team to take him off our hands! Trust me, getting any kind of draft pick for AA would be a blessing. I like the idea of getting Landry with the #6 pick, but I'm not quite it's worth giving up a chance to draft a Defensive Lineman.... besides, I think we could be better served dealing Shawn Springs and his contract, now that he's "presumably" healthy. Given his age, I don't think he can stay healthy long enough to play in anything more than a half a dozen games.

I think we should trade down and grab Brandon Merriwhether in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round. It seems like JG wants to trade down and we need D-line but a good young safety to compliment ST would be great.

We could trade down for Landry and get another DLineman later as well.

I think we need to just trade Arch for a 5th rounder or something.

Let's face it ... the Skins situation at safety is horrible ... their best player Taylor can't cover a baby with a blanket. PP is out indefinitely with a debilitating injury. AA doesn't even see the field and won't. Fox is a journeyman and ST guy . The Skins would be nutso to pass on Landry at 6 unless any of the other top offensive palyers fall ... he is the best DEFENSIVE player on the Board by far. At yesterday's LSU ProDay ... the Skins scouts' came away shaking their heads ... not at Russell, but at Landry.

I actually like the idea a lot. If we can find a way to shore-up our D-line, I think Landry would be an excellent pick. He seems like an extremely talented, solid, young player to help patch up the defense that was torn so poorly to threads last year.

Also, well thought-out thread. :)

No way do I want to spend ANOTHER top 10 pick on DB, especially safety. If Gregg Williams wants his safetys to both be good/adequate in coverage, he should've signed someone like Chris Hope instead of begging Archuleta to come here instead of the Bears.

If we do go for safety, I think we should trade down, get an second round pick and get Merriweather. That kid was playing CB in the Senior Bowl and looked pretty damn good at it too.

Well, if you look at what we got at D-line objectively, we do not automatically need to draft D-line. The most important if in this scenerio would be Andre Carter. He has to be everything and more in order for us to confidently pass on an otherwise D-line studded draft year. Our tackles have shown signs of a good unit and the opposite D-end is a vet.

Now, Landry would not make me upset one bit if he was a Redskin. I would love to think the Skins feel they got enough on the D-line (and a true MLB) to target Landry. Whoa momma.

I'm pretty sure this thread won't get traction here from the masses. They may even rate it badly because they are so in love with a defensive lineman. One reason we've never done ratings before is because GOOD, thoughtful threads like this get lumped in with garbage threads because people who want something else will just ignore any of the conversation that can come from it.

I happen to think we are almost certain to go with a defensive lineman, but, the thought of going safety did occur to me. Williams would like the flexibility another elite player back there may provide. Another benefit of this is if the team feels Taylor won't resign, a guy like this could protect against that. It would be a potentially dominating position if added.

I actually like guys suggestion. If we took Landry this secondary would be crazy. and if you think about it. This D-Line if the same D-Line that was ranked like 6th against the rush 2 years ago. Now that we have great LB's and DB's people will have to run the ball. And with London Flethcher being the awesome run stopper he is, and Sean Taylor just destroying everything, we should be ok if we did this

I am certainly not opposed to the idea of getting a safety, but I do not think Landry is the gguy. I would much rather trade down and pick up Michael Griffin out of UT. I am pre-disposed to liking the gyu because I have seen him play a few times. He is a hell of a ball-hawk, plays much faster than his timed speed and hits much harder than his 202 lb body would indicate. He also hasn't gotten much hype and could easily fall down into the early to mid 2nd.

Griffin would still allow us to address issues on the DL while still upgrading the safety position and providing insurance incase we fail to lock down ST.

to me this pick would impact next years team more than any other player in the draft, I could see him being a dominate player next season if in the right defense, plus I think that there will be quality free agents cut later on in the year and or any speed rusher in the later round would help out the defense.

4. Trade AA to the bears for hopefully a third mayb their second .

Wait... you don't really think the Bears will trade their SECOND ROUND PICK for Adam Archuleta? Seriously? That's totally nuts. Do a little research: what kind of players get traded for second round picks?

Now tell me: how many of them are overpaid backup safeties?

I think that if AA restructures (which he won't do -- why give away the money the Skins owe him?) you might get a 6th round pick for him. Maybe.

Well, if you look at what we got at D-line objectively, we do not automatically need to draft D-line. The most important if in this scenerio would be Andre Carter. He has to be everything and more in order for us to confidently pass on an otherwise D-line studded draft year. Our tackles have shown signs of a good unit and the opposite D-end is a vet.

Now, Landry would not make me upset one bit if he was a Redskin. I would love to think the Skins feel they got enough on the D-line (and a true MLB) to target Landry. Whoa momma.

Wow. Ten years without spending a first day pick on a Dlineman isn't long enough of a drought for some fans here??

As much as people bash the front office around here, they think just like them.

Can't get no pressure with your front four? Draft a safety. That'll fix it!! :rolleyes:

Wow. Ten years without spending a first day pick on a Dlineman isn't long enough of a drought for some fans here??

As much as people bash the front office around here, they think just like them.

Can't get no pressure with your front four? Draft a safety. That'll fix it!! :rolleyes:

pop quiz

what rookie led all rookies in sacks????

1(1)Houston MARIO WILLIAMS DE NORTH CAROLINA ST

12(12)Baltimore HALOTI NGATA DT OREGON

13(13)Cleveland KAMERION WIMBLEY DE FLORIDA STATE

14(14)Philadelphia BRODRICK BUNKLEY DT FLORIDA STATE

20(20)Kansas City TAMBA HALI DE PENN STATE

22(22)San Francisco MANNY LAWSON DE NORTH CAROLINA ST

26(26)Buffalo JOHN MCCARGO DT NORTH CAROLINA ST

32(32)NY Giants MATHIAS KIWANUKA DE BOSTON COLLEGE

A: none of the above

Mark Anderson DE ALABAMA 5 27(159)Chicago

thats right a 5th round pick

It could work if we get him trading down then draft and a lineman in the 2nd round like Tank if he falls that far and certainly a player like Quentin Moses should be there at 2nd. But agree with the posts that say Archuletta is bringing back squat, he was a bust, why would a team trade a top flight lineman for him?

pop quiz

Well, you suffer from two misapprehensions.

One, you seem to place all value on sacks and none on overall defensive play. If you were familiar with American Football in 2006, you'd realize just how important Ngata was for the Ravens defense. Going beyond that, Mario Williams was better than what people claimed and was often double teamed. Mathiaw Kiwanuka is one reason why the Giants are not afraid to let Strahan walk.

Two, you appear to believe that if a defensive lineman hasn't become a hybrid between Richard Dent and Reggie White in his rookie year that he isn't worth taking. This is absurd. You don't build a strong and deep defensive line without using a #1 pick or two. Just ask the Patriots. Or the Bears. Or the Colts. Nor do you ever CEASE building your lines depth. You may not elect to draft in the first round every year, but the SKins have yet to draft in the first round for YEARS (a def lineman.)

Perhaps this is the year where they realize that there are 3-4 guys who play on the line of scrimmage and are often (and probably) the key to a solid defensive team that advances deep into the playoffs.

You obviously haven't watched Calvin Johnson play. He is going to be a game changing, dominant player in the NFL.

You obviously haven't seen our defense, in particular our defensive line. They make other players look like game changing, dominant players in the NFL.

NO player in the draft will EVER be a guarantee. EVER. I don't care how tall he is, how fast, how ripped, or how hot you think you he is.

I'm not gonna lie and tell you that he will fail, because I'm (almost) as sure as the rest of the world that he will be great. But he is very far from guaranteed.

If we draft Calvin Johnson, it could do wonders for our offense. We'll have a speed demon in Moss, a potential red zone target in CJ, a baller in Cooley, a ridiculous two back scheme with Portis and Betts, two wonderful and expensive back ups to bolster our offense.

But our defense will still scare quarterbacks like flies scare lions. Our Linebackers will make as much an impact on the game as a 5-year old's punch to a boxer, and our secondary will just suck (I ran out of analogies).

pop quiz

A: none of the above

Mark Anderson DE ALABAMA 5 27(159)Chicago

thats right a 5th round pick

Anthony McFarland

Jevon Kearse

Patrick Kerney

Mike Rucker

2001:

Marcus Stroud

Kris Jenkins

Shaun Rogers

John Henderson

Dwight Freeney

Larry Triplett

Kevin Williams

Terrell Suggs

Osi Umenyiora

Tommie Harris

Vince Wilfork

Marcus Tubbs

Igor Olshansky

DeMarcus Ware

Shawn Merriman

Erasmus James

Marcus Spears

Luis Castillo

What do these guys have in common besides being defensive linemen? They were all available for us to draft.

Instead, we go with the flavor of the month whether it be WR,S,DB,QB anything but a dlineman.

It's no coincidence that the last time we had decent pressure from our front four was over 17 years ago......

Could we use any of the above mentioned on our Dline right now??

"Can't get no pressure with your front four? Draft a safety. That'll fix it!! "

A) was what my response was aimed at

B) for every stud first rounder there are an equal amount of duds

C) for every Ngata there is a http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/jamal-williams.htm

a TRANSACTION HISTORY: Second-round choice in Supplemental Draft, July 9, 1998.

you cant tell an O line coach that he doesnt know how important D linemen are. i just dont believe any of the "top DL" are worth the pick

Wait... you don't really think the Bears will trade their SECOND ROUND PICK for Adam Archuleta? Seriously? That's totally nuts. Do a little research: what kind of players get traded for second round picks?

Now tell me: how many of them are overpaid backup safeties?

I think that if AA restructures (which he won't do -- why give away the money the Skins owe him?) you might get a 6th round pick for him. Maybe.

Thier third is almost a fourth it is not out of this world to imagine. According to JLC's the restructure is possible, he supposedly wants out. He gives up a 5 mil bonus and gets a 8 mil signing bonus from his new team, what is he giving up. Out of a bad situation for him. WE don't know how much Lovie Smith covets him so anything is possible. They also have 2 2nds so it depends on how much they want him. I tend to not try too dwelve into the psychie of people I don't know. Too me a sixth for AA to the bears is nuts. I am not counting on a late 2nd Hence the MAYBE but anything from a late 2nd to a 5th is a possibility. Depends on how much they want him.

Trying to say definite value of a player and saying that is all he is worth is in my opinion "nuts". Why don't you try to do some research and tell me a player never gives back money when they want out.

Maybe you should look up the definition of hopefully and maybe while you are at it.

Archived