Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Consider this.. Landry to Skins.. Insight needed

Arsenic

I'm just messing with you. I am biased towards OSU, its nothing against your guy. Plus, I can't think of any good LBers from OSU that are good in the NFL, can you? AJ Hawk is decent, but I wouldn't call him a special player.

Djax would have been a great pick for the Skins, they really missed the boat on that one. I knew kid was gonna be special because I'm an ASU fan and he torched us every year. You should have seen me when he returned that punt against the Skins, I was livid.

The return where the refs missed the block in the back call? Oh well, we still won anyway.

So your saying that Jackson is better than:

Jake Long OT (MIami)

Chris Long DE (Rams)

Matt Ryan QB (Falcons)

Jerod Mayo LB (Pats)

Jonathan Stewart RB (Panthers)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB (Cards)

Joe Flacco QB (Ravens)

Sorry, not buying he was the best pick of the draft.

"Best pick of the draft" is putting words in my mouth. My point was simply that for the past 2 years my first round "unpopular" picks, here, have been immediate contributers (and ultimately not busts). JL #33 is my "gut" pick this year.

Its safe to say that if the skins had taken Jackson last year we'd be a better team today.

Wow nice one, pretty impressive haha.

That being said, isn't JL a projected late first rounder? We would be reaching if that's the case.

Value shouldnt be determined by Mel Kiper.

I say you move back to 15-20, pick up an extra second & take JL.

Just curious but what do you think about Rey Maualuga?

I think this dude is the next Lavar Arrington. Big & bad.. Better than JL, yes. Unfortunately, the Redskins don't have a top 5 pick.

I do think that JL may be better in coverage, though.

"Best pick of the draft" is putting words in my mouth. My point was simply that for the past 2 years my first round "unpopular" picks, here, have been immediate contributers (and ultimately not busts). JL #33 is my "gut" pick this year.

Its safe to say that if the skins had taken Jackson last year we'd be a better team today.

I think this dude is the next Lavar Arrington. Big & bad.. Better than JL, yes. Unfortunately, the Redskins don't have a top 5 pick.

Rey will not be a top 5 pick.. not even close

Rey will not be a top 5 pick.. not even close

you forgot to add "in my opinion".

:P

Lavar was drafted second overall.

RM has been compared to Ray Lewis as well. Would you take Ray Lewis at #5? I say he go's #3.. Only time, however, will trulely tell.

I love this time of year.. if only we could keep mother nature above 60.

He wasnt saying hes the best. Hes just saying, he was still available when we picked!!

Then I misunderstood what he was trying to say, my apologies.

Okay I see what your saying, I still think even knowing this Jackson would not have been a good fit for what we had. ARE and MOss and Thrash are short enough at WR for us.

We won't get Curry so I don't even think about him but 4 of the top 5 LB's will still be there at #13...

I like Matthews then Mauluaga, then Laurenitis...I wouldn't touch Cushing with a 10 foot pole...I'm not sure what it is but I just don't have a good feeling about him...

I think we should just go with Matthews, He has speed, smart's, he's physical, plus he played DE for USC and can put his hand in the ground and rush the QB...Also you can't deny the bloodlines...His father Clay played 20yrs in the NFL and was a helluva LBer and his uncle Bruce Matthews also played 20 yrs and will be a HoFer...

I'm 100% for LB at 13.

Sure, we have other needs but you must take that SPECIAL player, when available (aka: BPA).

2009 = Year of the LB's

This just in: We desperately need help at the LB position.

The cool thing about JL33 is that we can actually move down a bit, gain another pick and still get one hell of a LB. I'm not sure that option is possible with your top three lb's.

There will be a run on lb's. Once the first go's, grab your budweiser and hold on tight. The question is where will it begin. I say #3.

edit: I'm looking forward to this first pick, more so than christmas & birthday..

It was an interesting pick to say the least at the time. It turned out to be a smart pick for obvious/sad reasons...

Lol at this guy saying Landrys coverage skills could be better than Taylors. Taylor was light years better than Landry might ever be and if he was talking about college thats Lulz. Sean Taylor was one of the best defensive backs ever in college football. I'll cut you slack though you were excited :) .

I'm hoping we pick Andre Smith or Micheal Oher at #13. We need O-line help BAD.

Although incorrect, I dont think it was a completely rediculous thing to hope for. Landry is still great in coverage. (see Seattle playoffs)

My main point, back then, was that Landry was the closest thing we were going to get to a ST clone. I still believe that to be true. I thought we were looking for such a thing due to the strength of persuit we showed towards Arch.

edit: thanks. excited, i was. :P

First off, didn't Branch fall into the 3rd round or so. He's pretty much lived up to his rep as being a classic underachiever, and to think some guy suggested that he would be possibly be gone by the 6th pick. Shows how much you message board GM's know.

Desean wouldn't have been bad, but I was personally more impressed with Eddie Royal's rookie campaign.

Honestly, Sanchez is my ideal pick, but its hard to fathom him making it to 13. I guess I'll go on record and say that Robert Ayers would be a good pick up if Smith or Sanchez don't make it to 13. I'm also high on Clay Jr. who would possibly allow us to trade back and recoup something extra. Another scenario involves stepping back and taking Michael Johnson who I think is alot stronger at the point of attack then people give him credit for. His athleticism around the edge would compliment Haynesworth/Monty and Griff well.

I think we should just go with Matthews, He has speed, smart's, he's physical, plus he played DE for USC and can put his hand in the ground and rush the QB...Also you can't deny the bloodlines...His father Clay played 20yrs in the NFL and was a helluva LBer and his uncle Bruce Matthews also played 20 yrs and will be a HoFer...

I'd be fine with Matthews. I don't know that he'll ever be an impact, game changing LB but I could see him being a starter for 10 years and be rock-solid.

Also, Bruce Matthews IS a HoFer, inducted a couple years ago! :)

Fitting that this thread comes out of the tomb on resurrection Sunday. eek.gif

For those that want Laurinaitis, he'd be a huge luxury pick in the 1st as he will be a WSLB in the NFL and not a SSLB. We need a SSLB but not more so than we need a ROT.

Oldskool, enlighten me..

Traditionally, strong side linebacker has been on the side with the TE. However, haven't alot of things changed since then?

Would you say that SSLB should be bigger and better able to shed blocks and stuff runs, where as WSLB should be quicker and better in coverage?

It just seems to me that these positions would be easily interchangeable today, especially considering the changes in offenses since these roles were initially termed.

JL33 can get off blocks and make the unnatural play on the ball. To me, with his added intelligence, he's the complete package at LB (no matter the side).

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the whole WS/SS LB term, as they pertain to JL.

Archived