Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shaun Suisham...Long Term Kicker?

SkinsNoles21

After joining the Redskins I believe he missed just one kick (his first one) and then preceeded to go 8-8, 12-12 on PAT's and even boomed a 52-yarder.

Two of the most inconsistent positions for the Redskins over the past 15 million years that they have struggled, are quarterback and kicker. These positions are positions that require stability in order to succeed.

I, personally, feel as though Suisham is our long-term kicker. He was flawless last season and, although I am not against bringing in someone else to compete, I believe he should be the one signed to a long-term deal and kept as the future at the position.

With Jason Campbell and Shaun Suisham, The Washington Redskins may have finally solidified the quarterback and kicker position, something it has failed to do...well...ever.

What do you think?

What are the requirements or the intangibles that a "long-term" kicker should have?

goes 8-9 after joining the team including a 52 yarder.

doesnt get hurt...

Doesnt need multiple chances to make a game winning kick, and then when does make a game winning kick, everyone doesnt wonder how the hell it went in....

Good luck with him. He missed a fair amount of kicks in Dallas. Every field goal I was sitting on edge hoping he would make it.

Actually, for some reason, I felt comfortable when he kicked. Novak and Hall had me gripping the couch cushions so tight, I left DNA in the material.

I agree you just don't know with Kickers. I remember some guy that was here and left after a bad outing oh what's his name? Oh wait, i've got it David Akers! I don't know of too many solid options out there. Feely is probably the best one and has the longest and best track record for accuracy. Olindo Mare has struggled in recent years. What about Vanderjagt? I know I'm going to get flammed for that one, but he is one of the most accurate kickers of all time. So long as you don't have Troy Vincent on the FG Block team.

I really don't trust Suisham. I see him as a minor upgrade over Novak. OH yea, ^^^^ the point about Smoot and Suisham is lame. You can't really compare complicated defensive schemes involving all 12 players and strategy to kicking a ball through the uprights. All you need is a good hold and the line preventing the block. Easier said than done I know, but it's not at all even close to the same.

I really don't trust Suisham. I see him as a minor upgrade over Novak. OH yea, ^^^^ the point about Smoot and Suisham is lame. You can't really compare complicated defensive schemes involving all 12 players and strategy to kicking a ball through the uprights. All you need is a good hold and the line preventing the block. Easier said than done I know, but it's not at all even close to the same.

I completely disagree.

First of all, kicking a ball through the uprights is all mental for all these guys. Its not about talent, aside from leg strength, kicking is 100% mental for the guys that have made it to the NFL. They all have the talent.

In minny, Smoot struggled but he obviously has plenty of talent.

Suisham has struggled elsewhere, but in Washington he did well and is now confident, as well as comfortable playing for this team.

Smoot is confident when he is out there playing for the Skins, and is comfortable in this scheme.

Talent is easy to come by in the NFL but its the other factors that seperate them.

Archived