Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updated: So I need some info on U of Tennessee, lawyers still welcome!

Mr. S

I just found out I'm in at University of TEnnessee, Knoxville, which I figure is a better ranked school than anywhere else I'm in, heh. US News and World ranks it 60th. It' was the 3rd highest ranked school which I applied to.

Anyways, any info about the school, campus, and town would be great. I already know I'll enjoy some great football there as well!

Congrats!

Positives about Morgantown - in no particular order.

1.) Fun active social scene.

2.) Still a small town feel.

3.) Cheap to live.

4.) Good sporting program (if you like that stuff).

Negatives

1.) Dreary in the Winter. Good amount of snow and it turns black pretty fast.

2.) Good social scene is going to mess up studying for Law school.

3.) Closest "major" city is 1 and 1/2 hours away - and its debateable if Pittsburgh is a major city.

4.) Hope you like walking up hills. To and from class. :silly:

As a lawyer, I can tell you that school prestige is a huge factor in the future opporunities available to you. This may not be fair, but it is reality. So my answer is no - it is not worth it to pass up on better rated law schools.

This does not mean that you have to go to school #37 over school #39 on the US News list. Law Schools are basically ranked in tiers - go to one of the schools in the highest tier in which you have been accepted.

Congrats!

Positives about Morgantown - in no particular order.

1.) Fun active social scene.

2.) Still a small town feel.

3.) Cheap to live.

4.) Good sporting program (if you like that stuff).

Negatives

1.) Dreary in the Winter. Good amount of snow and it turns black pretty fast.

2.) Good social scene is going to mess up studying for Law school.

3.) Closest "major" city is 1 and 1/2 hours away - and its debateable if Pittsburgh is a major city.

4.) Hope you like walking up hills. To and from class. :silly:

pretty much nailed it on the head, walking to class is a ***** (that's if i go) :laugh: and i cant wait for warmer weather, but who doesnt?

This does not mean that you have to go to school #37 over school #39 on the US News list. Law Schools are basically ranked in tiers - go to one of the schools in the highest tier in which you have been accepted.

Well, what I think I read is that US News and World does the ranking tiers, and the ABA does not approve any rankings. With that in mind, WVU is a tier 4 school, and the other two I am considering, New York Law School, and Quinnipiac University, are tier 3. NY Law School seems to have a great program set up, and has been around a very long time, and has the connections to the NY firms.

I also heard that even excelling at a lower ranked school helps a lot. I do think that prestige will sway me in the end.

That is pretty cool! Im liking this place more and more. Keep the info ocming, thanks everyone so far!

So I got accepted into WVU Law (I think, no letter, but plenty of emails, heh). Anyways, I have gotten into some other law schools that are rated better, and do seem to have more of a course variety. However, WVU is an option because it has the big campus and campus social life I wanted, a good football team, being closer to home, and I doubt Morgantown costs more than NY or CT where the other schools Im considering are.

Since many of you all are huge WVU homers, tell me what are some positives about Morgantown and WVU.

Lawyers and law students, I guess I asked you to look cause I want to see what made you decide on your school and is it worth to go to a school for the other factors I mentioned and risk not having as many opportunities?

Morgantown is just a fun place to go to school. Great football team AND a very good basketball team, especially the next 2-3 years. Tons of bars, the party scene is legendary, everyone is nice as hell (except the Jersey kids :laugh: ) If you want to learn how to tailgate properly, Morgantown is the place to do it.

Here is an except from EersSkins webpage that sums it up nicely.

http://www.wemustignitethiscouch.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=118

:)

Negatives, as TEG mentioned, are the winters and getting around.

Its a classic college town with something for everyone.

I wish I was back in college. :(

The PRT is NOT a positive.

Well, what I think I read is that US News and World does the ranking tiers, and the ABA does not approve any rankings. With that in mind, WVU is a tier 4 school, and the other two I am considering, New York Law School, and Quinnipiac University, are tier 3. NY Law School seems to have a great program set up, and has been around a very long time, and has the connections to the NY firms.

I also heard that even excelling at a lower ranked school helps a lot. I do think that prestige will sway me in the end.

It always helps to excel no matter where you go. The difference is in how many doors are open to you if you don't finish top of the class (and by definition, most of us don't).

ps - I do not consider the US News ranting tiers as gospel - the ranking system they use is grossly flawed. However, I have to acknowledge that they create their own reality because everyone reads them.

As a lawyer, I can tell you that school prestige is a huge factor in the future opporunities available to you. This may not be fair, but it is reality. So my answer is no - it is not worth it to pass up on better rated law schools.

I disagreed with Predicto in an earlier discussion about prestige and undergrad programs, but I think that prestige matters a lot for grad school, and especially for professional school, where the ultimate goal isn't really intellectual (despite what your professors might say) but to get a job.

That being said, there are other factors in getting a job besides ranking - geography certainly matters, and if you go to a school in New York Law or Quinnipiac, you're probably ending up in New York City. If you want to stay in the DC area, the difference in rankings might not matter as much, as I would imagine there are more WVU grads than Quinnipiac grads in the area.

Also, one caveat about all the fun social life people are trying to sell you on ... although you'll probably still go to football games and basketball games and have a good time, you're not going to be in the middle of the student section completely ****faced and screaming your lungs out ... there's a difference between being an undergrad and a law student, and there's a difference between being 18 and being 23. Part of that is because your grades will be kind of important in law school, so you really just can't party like the college kids do.

In any case, congrats on getting in, and if you have the opportunity, go and visit the schools so you can ask your questions to the students and faculty actually there.

Thanks DjTj, I did actually plan on moving back into the DC area, I guess that would have been another thing I should have mentioned. I know that NYLS or Quinnipiac, though "ranked" better, would essentially make me stay in NYC. I do also like how WVU is expanding it's course offerings, and that it has been established for soo long that there would definitely be many alumni here, great point!

Yeah, the fun factor, I just want it to be there. One person I know in the law school there said that he has his choice, and that's what he likes. Im not into parties all the time, but I don't want an uptight student body either.

That being said, Im still waiting on a few other schools, I jsut wanted to hear more about WVU (hear more about the school, not the football program I heard enough about in the fall).

A couple thoughts on New York area law schools...if you have any desire, any desire at ALL to work in a large New York law firm, then you're only hope is to go to New York Law School and finish within the top 2-3% of your class.

And just so you know, some firms, like Sullivan & Cromwell, Kirkland & Ellis among many, many AmLaw 100 firms will mostly be permanently closed to you. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I know from experience, and have lucked out because of my practice area to not be as constrained--that I have a little more mobility than most people who went where I went and graduated near me.

So if you're not at NYU or Columbia, getting a good job in NYC is VERY difficult. And the difference between good jobs and bad in NYC at the junior level is generally salary NOT hours. From large firms to small firms, you're going to be working your ass off.

Now consider if this is what you really want--

I can't speak to the legal scene in DC, but in New York, if you go to Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Qunnipiac, Rutgers, Hofstra, etc. all 2nd Tier and lower, you're going to have a REALLY hard time getting a job if you're not at the TIP TOP of the class.

Just keep that in mind in your search.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but you have to be realistic.

ps - I do not consider the US News ranting tiers as gospel - the ranking system they use is grossly flawed. However, I have to acknowledge that they create their own reality because everyone reads them.

yeah sad thing with rankings (of anything really) is that they do form the perceptions of other people whether or not the are true.

Sachi, something you should consider is that maybe it is easier to get a job in WV with a WVU law degree than to work in NY with a law degree from New York LS. It is probably cheaper to live in WV too.

but do I really know what I am talking about?

PS congrats man

:( Everything has pretty much been covered. I'll just add that

WVU has a rec center that is just amazing. 4th best in the nation according to some magazine. Huge 100 ft. rock climbing wall, pool with hot tub, 8 basketball courts, 2 weight rooms, suspended indoor track, badmitten, racketball, ping pong, areobics, etc.

So if you're pretty active the gym is a definate plus!

Oh yea, the girls of Morgantown are better than any other college town I have ever been to. Dimes everywhere!! (and many of them are pretty easy)

appreciate the advice iheart. I kinda figured that I wouldn't necessarily work in the top firms, but I don't think I wanna do corporate law or work in a top firm anyways. To be honest, I still have little to no idea as to what field I want, so having course variety will help. Intellectual Property and Real Estate/Real Property are ideas. Im hoping for Penn State cause they do have programs combining Intellectual Property with sports/entertainment fields, but Im sure getting into the music or sports industries will be just as hard as those top NY firms.

As I said earlier though, I do wanna return to the DC area, wherever I go to school. I'm sure DC won't be different with G'Town, GWU, GMU, UVA, Wash & Lee all feeding into the area. Just my scores weren't good enough for those top schools basically.

Liberty, you are pretty much right. WVU is the only law school in WV, and Morgantown is a helluva lot cheaper to live in I'm assuming, compared to NY/CT at least. I'm hoping it's comparable to Harrisonburg prices. Problem with WVU is it's not as recommended for the DC/NOVA jobs.

All the WVU students/alum, I have no doubt WVU would satisfy all my social needs, large student body, many organizations to join, rec center, football, etc.... Thanks for the info, and anymore is appreciated.

Archived