Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Springs worth his money?

gobigred

I wish we quit putting down quality players. Why do people expect Shawn Springs to take a pay cut. Shawn (when healthy) is one of the top corners in the league. The ball is really to his advantage more then it is ours. If he is released he will get more money then we are paying him and then we will be trying to figure out how that happened. Shawn went out there when he was not 100% last year and that is why he had a bad year. Don't ask the best corner on the team to loose money when he is working hard for the team. Would you take a pay cut at your job? If he is not bending I am sure he is looking at AA and saying why he can't take a cut he did not hardly play, or better yet when I did it last year you did not do anything positive for the defense with it. I hope he stays because once we get one more corner and d line man in the draft the defense is going to be fine.

i want springs gone at this point. he wont take a paycut even though he'll be 33 and coming off of a broken shoulder. sure hes good when hes healthy, but for the amount hes supposed to get paid, i dont want to even wonder if he'll be on the field. thats not worth anyones time. with a good pass rush which will hopefully be addressed in the draft, we can plug in someone else instead of springs and they should be successful. besides, smoot and rogers are both good, and before you bash rogers with the typical "he got torched" or "he played 20 yards off the receiver", save it cause he was playing with one of the worst performances from a front 7 in NFL history.

I think Springs is worth keeping around this year. I would hope for him to restructure (more guaranteed money for him, but less cap hit for the team) so that we can have that cap room, but if he doesnt, I dont believe we should cut him.

I have found that people on this board are quick to judge and fairly harsh in their judgements. If he has a bad/injury-filled season next year, then we can do something about it. But as Ive said with AA and BL...give him a chance.

I think Springs is worth keeping around this year. I would hope for him to restructure (more guaranteed money for him, but less cap hit for the team) so that we can have that cap room, but if he doesnt, I dont believe we should cut him.

I have found that people on this board are quick to judge and fairly harsh in their judgements. If he has a bad/injury-filled season next year, then we can do something about it. But as Ive said with AA and BL...give him a chance.

arch and lloyd are young. theyre new to the team and struggled, but should be giving a second shot. its youth that concerns me, and springs doesnt have any. he just came off an injury plagued season, how many more years does his body have on him? i dont think the skins should pay to find out.

i hate to say it but springs is worth the money

hes been a top 5 cb last 3 years

and we sow our defense go from top 5 to bottom 3 withoutt him

he was rated #1 cb in stop rate 05 season

he is a very good CB letting him go would be foolish

plus we overpaid for archuleta

why cant springs get the money he deserves?

I wish we quit putting down quality players. Why do people expect Shawn Springs to take a pay cut. Shawn (when healthy) is one of the top corners in the league.

Did he even play 3 entire games last season. His problem was getting hurt in non-contact drills in practice...and pre-game. He said with 2 games left to play "yeah, it was nice playing with you guys" to his teammates...and he WON'T re-structure to HELP the team.

Wait, I got an idea, let's pay Springs almost 8 million to play in three games next season!!!!!:doh:

prior to last year he had not missed many games at all

the defense is completely different with Springs playing, and yes he is worth it

He has not played a full season since the year 2000, when he was on the Seahawks. Great corner, way too injury prone for that price tag. BTW, he only had one INT and 38 tackles last season...

Springs is worth the money, hands down. Yes he's getting older and yes he had an injury plagued season last year, but that was last year. He makes this Defense better by just being on the field. People on here talk about plugging in someone else, who? Who are we going to plug in that is just as good as SS? SS is a core Redskin he wanted to be here and wants to stay. There is no one on this board that would take a "pay cut" because it would help their company. He never said he wouldn't restructure. It's up to the FO at this point. If they let him go then JG will loose his credibility as far as calling players "core redskins". Now a viable trade is another thing as long as we get something better. Then it's just business.

I can understand everyones frustration with him not taking one for the team, but don't blast the guy for wanting to maintain his livelyhood. You would do the same. Some of you forget what he has done for us the past few years.

at this point, we may take the cap hit, but I believe he would garner a lot of $$ on the FA market. Every team is looking for a good CB, and there's not many of them. It may be a big hit, but we cannot afford to go into the next season "hoping" that Rogers and Smoot are going to be all we need and that they both stay healhty the entire season.

Either way it is a risk, but I would rather errr on the side of caution and have depth. If he stays he knows it will most likely be his last year making that much money, with us or anyone else, so I would belive he is determined to get healthy and have a good season.

It is in his best interest to perform at a high level this upcoming year. But I'll reiterate, there are many teams out there that would pay more money than we owe hinm just to have a solid CB for a couple more years.

the Redskins strategy would not be to release Springs now. that would net the club nothing. the strategy if a deal is not reached is to release him after June 1 when his cap hit for 2007 would be only $2.5 million.

in that case Shawn would be hitting the street after the first stage of free agency and after the draft at a time where clubs are trying to sign their top picks.

Shawn would not be able to sign a contract at that stage that would rival what guys are getting right now.

So, the team has some leverage with him.

Ultimately, he can make the decision to scorch earth and just take the cut on June 1 and move on. And he may do that.

But the bit he says about not wanting to give up a penny of his deal seems rather rigid given that a June 1 release would lead to him making far less overall in 2007 from another club.

I would like to see Springs back and think that we should honor the contract. I usually take the position that player's should honor the contract they sign and if they hold out for a new contract that they are in the wrong. I hold the team to the same standard. Springs had a terrible year last year healthwise, but we assumed that risk when we signed him. I think his skill level warrants his salary. I'm also not fair weathered enough to disregard his past efforts and level. His attitude does worry me though.

Springs has gotten about 15.2 million over the last 3 years....Which I consider a decent deal based on his play (even with the injuries).

He is slated to make the following for the rest of his contract

2007: 4.9

2008: 5.0

2009: 6.0

For all those people saying he's not worth 7.5 million, you have to keep in mind that that is not what he is getting paid this year....

He got an average of 5 mil over the past 5 years, and isn't getting much more than that over the next three....that is not being overpaid for a #1 CB.

If the Redskins don't like the cap numbers, it's their fault for structuring the contract that way. They need to offer Springs a restructure deal that will guarantee him some money upfront and push the cap hit farther out. If they do it wisely they can keep him for another 2 years, and see a manageable cap hit after that if they want to let him go....

I would like to see Springs back and think that we should honor the contract. I usually take the position that player's should honor the contract they sign and if they hold out for a new contract that they are in the wrong. I hold the team to the same standard. Springs had a terrible year last year healthwise, but we assumed that risk when we signed him. I think his skill level warrants his salary. I'm also not fair weathered enough to disregard his past efforts and level. His attitude does worry me though.

:cheers:

Springs' cap hit isn't costing us any players in free agency, so I really don't care about the cap hit too much. Cutting him right now won't save us any money, and we've already budgeted to pay him, so might as well. When he's healthy he is a great corner. If cutting him (prior to June 1st) won't save us anything then we might as well keep him and get the most out of his play. Should he be paid 5.5 mill instead of 7.5 million? Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't matter because 1) It's not preventing us from signing the players we wanted and 2) It ain't my money.

i want springs gone at this point. he wont take a paycut even though he'll be 33 and coming off of a broken shoulder. sure hes good when hes healthy, but for the amount hes supposed to get paid, i dont want to even wonder if he'll be on the field. thats not worth anyones time. with a good pass rush which will hopefully be addressed in the draft, we can plug in someone else instead of springs and they should be successful. besides, smoot and rogers are both good, and before you bash rogers with the typical "he got torched" or "he played 20 yards off the receiver", save it cause he was playing with one of the worst performances from a front 7 in NFL history.

Well, he'll only be 32 on March 11, not 33.

To me, the question isnt is he worth his contract number, its just do we need him? And I think its pretty obvious we do. So if I had my way, he wouldnt be going anywhere. Not unless I got a good deal for him involving Bly.

When healthy, he is a great corner without question but no team IMO would absorb a hit in excess of 7 million. Either we can find some middle ground with regard to his contract that would satisfy all parties or we trade him and get whatever we can. It's a tough call for sure and much more so than Dock IMO.

Archived