Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Springs worth his money?

gobigred

I am glad to see a lot of guys talking with good common sense. There are not any corners available in FA that could even walk in his shoes. The guy was on Sports Talk saying he can run 4.3 or 4.4 in the forty that is pretty impressive for someone some of you guys are calling old. Teams are sitting around and hoping we cut him so they can get him and you know the killer part of it is that it will probably be a NFC East team. We know what Shawn can do when healthy this defense could be in the top ten with the corners we have now and a True Middle Linebacker which we have not had since Pierce. I still say we move Springs to safety and get another cover corner. Dre Bly is really kicking up about not wanting to go Denver and wants to come to the skins, no team wants a player that does not want to be there.

It's not a matter of putting down our own players. In fact, we obviously have a strong relationship w/our players given how often we get our guys to re-structure. If Springs won't re-structure -- especially given his fragility -- we certainly can't pay him $7.5 given his track record. I agree that he's one of the top CBs in the league when healthy -- a true difference-maker -- but last year he basically didn't play & he's nearly never healthy for a full season. I hate saying it cuz I love Springs (and think he way outplayed Champ in 2004), but it's time for him to play ball & re-structure.

Springs has gotten about 15.2 million over the last 3 years....Which I consider a decent deal based on his play (even with the injuries).

He is slated to make the following for the rest of his contract

2007: 4.9

2008: 5.0

2009: 6.0

For all those people saying he's not worth 7.5 million, you have to keep in mind that that is not what he is getting paid this year....

He got an average of 5 mil over the past 5 years, and isn't getting much more than that over the next three....that is not being overpaid for a #1 CB.

If the Redskins don't like the cap numbers, it's their fault for structuring the contract that way. They need to offer Springs a restructure deal that will guarantee him some money upfront and push the cap hit farther out. If they do it wisely they can keep him for another 2 years, and see a manageable cap hit after that if they want to let him go....

Smart

When people are talking about how much a player makes, you have to look at what he is getting paid in that year....

In the first year of a contract the cap hit is really low compared to market value because of proration of the bonus, but when people are talking about someone in the first year of a contract they don't say "He's only making 800K this year" because they know that he also got this sizeable chunk of $$ to sign. So the flip side of this is also true. Springs was given a ~13 mil SB 3 years ago, and then was paid much less than his market value in years 2 & 3 because of his big bonus. This year he gets 4.9 mil NOT 7.5 mil...

The people who keep saying that we are paying him 2.5 mil per game because he is only going to play 3 are just wrong....

I think the whole situation right now with Springs and our FO is just straight up an insult to a man we all consider, and the FO has called, a core Redskin. It's ****ing pathetic that we can't keep players for longer than 3 years without forcing them to the negotiating table. Springs signed that contract, the team offered him that contract, why not pay him what he was scheduled to make? Our cap situation doesn't demand we cut one of our best players, so why do it? Sure, Dre Bly is a great corner, but so is our supposid boy Springs. And he actually plays for our team already.

It is amazing how fast Redskins fans turn on their players. We are like Piranha – always looking for someone else to attack on our own team and remove from the roster. Remember all the Springs is a “core redskin” talk before last year…..

When people are talking about how much a player makes, you have to look at what he is getting paid in that year....

In the first year of a contract the cap hit is really low compared to market value because of proration of the bonus, but when people are talking about someone in the first year of a contract they don't say "He's only making 800K this year" because they know that he also got this sizeable chunk of $$ to sign. So the flip side of this is also true. Springs was given a ~13 mil SB 3 years ago, and then was paid much less than his market value in years 2 & 3 because of his big bonus. This year he gets 4.9 mil NOT 7.5 mil...

The people who keep saying that we are paying him 2.5 mil per game because he is only going to play 3 are just wrong....

Thanks for the info Bob. I was under the imrpession it was in excess of 7 million that would count this year. So they're really haggling over an extension and not really his 2007 cap hit or a little of both?

Would you rather have kenny wright again. We are going to have solid depth at corner. He might even play some SS the options are endless with him in there. With Gregs D corner play is critical, He can be more aggressive in play calling and go after the QB which will lead to more sacks and more turnovers.

Thanks for the info Bob. I was under the imrpession it was in excess of 7 million that would count this year. So they're really haggling over an extension and not really his 2007 cap hit or a little of both?

I'm not sure I was totally clear....his cap hit is 7.5 mil, but we are only paying him 4.9 mil. The rest is the proration of his original signing bonus. We could restructure his contract, and lower his cap hit, but the fact of the matter is not that we are not paying him 7.5 million....

I don't have the exact #'s but his "pay" in each year of his contract is something like:

2004: 14.0 mil (SB + Salary)

2005: 0.50 mil (Salary)

2006: 0.75 mil (Salary)

2007: 4.9 mil (Salary)

2008: 5.0 mil (Salary)

2009: 6.0 mil (Salary)

By structuring like this it helped our cap in yrs 1-3 to be low (~3, 3.2, 3.9), but eventually the cap hits catch up. But from Springs perspective, he averaged 15 mil for the last three years, and next year will get about the same (4.9 mil). So asking him to take a pay cut is unrealistic when his pay hasn't really increased in from his first 3 years. The cap hits catch up with you if you do it this way.....I'm not saying it's wrong, but I am saying that they team knew what they were getting themselves into, and now need to work within the confines that they have already set up (ie. restructure him with a fair deal that doesn't decrease his original contract value).

Yes he is worth every penny. He is a strong blitzer, great in run support and all 3 of our corners now are very familiar with the system. This bodes well for the defense. Teams barely even test springs and it will be alot different when teams try to go to their slot receiver being covered by Rogers or Smoot. We can now man up and let Taylor do what he does best, roam the field and be a playmaker like he was against Carolina and New Orleans.

Yes he is worth every penny. He is a strong blitzer, great in run support and all 3 of our corners now are very familiar with the system. This bodes well for the defense. Teams barely even test springs and it will be alot different when teams try to go to their slot receiver being covered by Rogers or Smoot. We can now man up and let Taylor do what he does best, roam the field and be a playmaker like he was against Carolina and New Orleans.

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

We are currently in position to have a much improved secondary, why ruin it by trading our #1 CB? Even if he is out a couple of games, we have a decent starting lineup of Rogers & Smoot....

Springs, Smoot, and Rogers could mean a "real" probowl season for Taylor...

All I have to say is this. If we loose springs we are going to struggle in pass defense and we will have the same record as we had in 06 unless our O is going to be ranked #1 in scoring and I dont see that being the case.

I agree. Some people dont understand dog. I we loose springs we are in trouble.

Springs is a great player, but he is costing a lot and getting old anyways. I am not too familiar with if it's a paycut he won't take, or a restructure. I can understand a pay cut, but feel he should restructure, it guarantees him more anyways.

However, I think we also need some LB depth still. TJ Slaughter was just released by San Francisco, we definitely should get him. He's a great special teamer as well.

Has anyone heard what the 'numbers' he was offered???

There's a LOT of guessing and ASSuming here....

Disco put the current numbers, but has anyone seen the proposed numbers?

and for the record... I say keep him!!!

and STOP structuring these deals that KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP killing after the 3rd yr.

Remeber Deion.... Bruce..... Carrier....

oh well....

I'd say for this year, yes. He is a staple of our D, and I think losing him now would be a mistake. In a D that is trying so hard to rebuild it just doesn't seem wise to pull one of the most important pieces now.

Beyond this year, however, I don't know.

I'd say for this year, yes. He is a staple of our D, and I think losing him now would be a mistake. In a D that is trying so hard to rebuild it just doesn't seem wise to pull one of the most important pieces now.

Beyond this year, however, I don't know.

Well said. Springs is a leader on our defense and in the lockerroom. Getting rid of these "Core Skins" is what has killed us over the past few years. Even though Springs has been reluctant to take a pay cut, when he is healthy, the guy is one of the better corners in the league, and we need him to cover our opponent's #1 receiver.

I have a bad feeling about what is going to happen with Springs and the Skins, but I really hope he stays. We will be looking pretty solid at the corner position if we keep him, IMO we would just need one more corner for depth.

Archived