Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was the elbow to Tyler Hansbrough's nose tonight intentional? (Duke vs. UNC)

#98QBKiller

Anyone else see this? Here's a link to the story in case you stopped watching while Duke was getting whipped:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/03/04/unc.duke.ap/index.html

*Edit: Here's the youtube link that's now up:

We have DVR here at home and we kept rewinding the hit and looking at it. The more I watched it the more I thought it was intentional. I noticed that Gerald Henderson's eyes were looking at Hansbrough before his elbow came down and the ball was very far away from his hands...kind of weird. And I'm a Duke fan for the record.

If you missed it, there was 14 seconds left in the game and Tyler Hansbrough was going for a layup, when the ball came off his hand Henderson's elbow landed right on the nose of Hansbrough so hard that it knocked him to the floor.

Hansbrough was on the ground for a few seconds holding his face and all of a sudden he jumped up. When he did, his nose and mouth were covered in blood and there was blood all over the floor. He had to be restrained by his teammates. I thought he was gonna rip Henderson's arms off and beat him with them, he was seriously pissed.

Henderson was ejected from the game. Like I said, I'm a Duke fan and after watching several times it looked like Henderson was intentionally trying to get a hit on Hansbrough, I don't think he meant to do what he did but it happened nonetheless.

Anyone else think it was intentional?

Henderson was ejected from the game. Like I said, I'm a Duke fan and after watching several times it looked like Henderson was intentionally trying to get a hit on Hansbrough, I don't think he meant to do what he did but it happened nonetheless.

huh?

Man, I saw it all go down... Ole' dude was like, "Yo Hans' close yo mouth and start breathin' through yo' nose, you look like a dog"

And then Hansborough was like "Nah, man, das how I get da ladies"

And Henderson started to say stuff like "Dontcha mean dudez?"

And then Hansborough be sayin "Yo playa, don't be hatin cuz I getz more play 'dan you"

Then Henderson said "Howzabout I mess up your face, den we see who getz more ladies"

I saw it, I was there....

Man, I saw it all go down... Ole' dude was like, "Yo Hans' close yo mouth and start breathin' through yo' nose, you look like a dog"

And then Hansborough be sayin "Yo playa, don't be hatin cuz I getz more play 'dan you"

Then Henderson said "Howzabout I mess up your face, den we see who getz more ladies"

:bsflag:

It was every bit as intentional as Laettner stomping that guy in the chest a few years back. The more you look at the tape the worse it gets, regardless of what Billy "The Coward" Packer says, and I fully expect the suspension to be extended for the duration of the ACC tourney...if not longer. That was one of the cheaper shots I've ever seen. I bet even John Chaney was embarassed about that one

I wonder what Ellington said to Henderson after the game. They are best friends.

The more that I watch the hit, the more I think it was done Intentionally. T.H was having a monster game against the biggest rival. I don't think that they will suspend him for more than 1 game though.

I wonder what Ellington said to Henderson after the game. They are best friends.

The more that I watch the hit, the more I think it was done Intentionally. T.H was having a monster game against the biggest rival. I don't think that they will suspend him for more than 1 game though.

I don't think they will either, just because it's so hard to prove. Things could be very interesting though if for some reason Duke and Carolina meet each other in the ACC tournament.

:laugh: Exactly, this injury will not hurt Hansbrough's game, he never breathes through his nose anyway.

As for the foul, I have no doubt that Henderson was trying to either block Handbrough or give him a hard foul but he had no intent to really hurt him. Remember, Duke only had one starter in (Sheyer) and all the others were bench players (including Henderson and #51 who has only played in two games this year for only two minutes each game). Despite this, UNC had most of its starters in and on the previous possession tried to dunk on Duke with a 12 point lead and less than :30 to go. Fortunately, Nelson blocked the blatantly disrespectful dunk attempt (and was then substituted on the next stoppage). UNC was trying to run up the score and dunk whenever they could in a game that was over. That is why Henderson went in so hard, he didn't want to get disrespected and dunked on. I don't think he was trying to hurt him at all but he must gave been extremely frustrated with the way that UNC was acting with such little class. You cannot excuse the foul and I hope Hansbrough is OK but it is not surprising that someone can lose their calm when the other team and their coach are being punks.

Duke got pissed cause they got smoked, so they tried to get rough.

agreed. there was about 15 seconds left in that game. dude had a pissed look on his face as he came down - and despite what that moron packer says, he was looking right at TH right as he was bringing his arm down. as for intent, when you're gettin whooped, you do things you wouldnt normally do, like try to smash your opponents face in.

agreed. there was about 15 seconds left in that game. dude had a pissed look on his face as he came down - and despite what that moron packer says, he was looking right at TH right as he was bringing his arm down. as for intent, when you're gettin whooped, you do things you wouldnt normally do, like try to smash your opponents face in.

I bet you Tyler would have knocked the **** outta that guy if he had gotten his hands on him.....too bad his teammates restrained him, that could have been fun to watch.

This is classic apologist bias. I will attempt to translate.

:laugh: Exactly, this injury will not hurt Hansbrough's game, he never breathes through his nose anyway.

I do not like Hansbrough or UNC

As for the foul, I have no doubt that Henderson was trying to either block Handbrough or give him a hard foul but he had no intent to really hurt him.

Henderson, who usually plays sparingly, saw an opportunity to lay a hard foul on the opponent and embraced it. All the while knowing that it will have no effect on the outcome of the game

Remember, Duke only had one starter in (Sheyer) and all the others were bench players (including Henderson and #51 who has only played in two games this year for only two minutes each game). Despite this, UNC had most of its starters in and on the previous possession tried to dunk on Duke with a 12 point lead and less than :30 to go.

Duke had decided to concede the game by benching their starters. UNC, playing at home for the #1 seed in the tourney, was emptying the bench one at a time, mainly for the benefit of the crowd. Still, UNC had been handling Duke prior to that and continued to do so. At the 2-min mark UNC had an 11 point lead

UNC was trying to run up the score and dunk whenever they could in a game that was over. That is why Henderson went in so hard, he didn't want to get disrespected and dunked on. I don't think he was trying to hurt him at all but he must gave been extremely frustrated with the way that UNC was acting with such little class. You cannot excuse the foul and I hope Hansbrough is OK but it is not surprising that someone can lose their calm when the other team and their coach are being punks.

At the time of the incident - 18.7 secs left - UNC still had an 11 point lead. Both teams were still playing with intensity...with pride. Both Henderson and Hansbrough had played roughly the same amount (30) of minutes. And, then the losing guy busted the winning guy in the face, on purpose, with malicious intent, as retaliation for playing better. The Duke player is the "punk". The Duke player showed no "class". It reminded me of something out of a Minor-League hockey game. Tragic.

Good for the rivalry, though. :laugh:

ncb_u_hansbrough_195.jpg

Anyone else see this? Here's a link to the story in case you stopped watching while Duke was getting whipped:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/03/04/unc.duke.ap/index.html

I looked for a vid on youtube but nothing's up yet.

We have DVR here at home and we kept rewinding the hit and looking at it. The more I watched it the more I thought it was intentional. I noticed that Gerald Henderson's eyes were looking at Hansbrough before his elbow came down and the ball was very far away from his hands...kind of weird. And I'm a Duke fan for the record.

If you missed it, there was 14 seconds left in the game and Tyler Hansbrough was going for a layup, when the ball came off his hand Henderson's elbow landed right on the nose of Hansbrough so hard that it knocked him to the floor.

Hansbrough was on the ground for a few seconds holding his face and all of a sudden he jumped up. When he did, his nose and mouth were covered in blood and there was blood all over the floor. He had to be restrained by his teammates. I thought he was gonna rip Henderson's arms off and beat him with them, he was seriously pissed.

Anyone else think it was intentional?

I don't think he meant to cause the harm he did but he certainly meant to do some harm to him. That was about as rough a foul as it gets. However, why the hell was Hansbrough even IN the game with 14.5 seconds left and UNC up 14, or whatever? I know Roy said after the game that he had one of his scrubs up ready to go in for Tyler. (had he made the free throw) But, still, he probably should have been out with at least a minute to go. He really had no business being there with that lead and only a few seconds left. Now what Henderson did still isn't justified. That's just plain BS what he did.

huh?

Dude, its not hard to grasp what the original poster meant. He was simply saying that he didn't think Henderson meant to cause the harm to Tyler that he eventually ended up causing. (the bloodly nose, mouth) He was saying that he meant to rough him up, just not to that extent.

Was this supposed to be funny? :rolleyes:

Archived