Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was the elbow to Tyler Hansbrough's nose tonight intentional? (Duke vs. UNC)

#98QBKiller

As a Carolina fan, I am sorta biased, but I do think that Henderson did it on purpose. I think that a 1 game suspension is sufficient, but it will be interesting next Sunday if both Carolina and Duke make it to the finals next Sunday.

Len Elmore made a good point on College Gamenight. He said that they might even want to consider suspending him for that game, too, if they should meet again. While I understand his point, I don't think there's any chance of that happening. I think the 1-game suspension they gave him is sufficient enough.

However, why the hell was Hansbrough even IN the game with 14.5 seconds left and UNC up 14, or whatever? I know Roy said after the game that he had one of his scrubs up ready to go in for Tyler. (had he made the free throw)

I was wondering the same thing. I didnt get to se ethe end of the game until I got to work, but the guys on the radio had said that this could possibly be his last game at the Dean Dome and that Roy could be treating him as a Senior on Senior night by leaving him in and taking him out to a "Standing O".

I don't know how true that was, but they did say that on the radio.

It was every bit as intentional as Laettner stomping that guy in the chest a few years back. The more you look at the tape the worse it gets, regardless of what Billy "The Coward" Packer says, and I fully expect the suspension to be extended for the duration of the ACC tourney...if not longer. That was one of the cheaper shots I've ever seen. I bet even John Chaney was embarassed about that one

There is really no way of knowing if it was intentional or not. I'm of the opinion that he definitely wanted to harm him, but im not sure if he actually meant to cause the harm to him that he did. With no way of really knowing what Henderson's intentions were, you really can't say the suspenions should be longer. And it certainly won't be for the duration of the tourney. You can forget that, partner.

I don't think they will either, just because it's so hard to prove. Things could be very interesting though if for some reason Duke and Carolina meet each other in the ACC tournament.

Even if they met nothing would happen. Both teams have too much to lose, having one or more of their players starting something. Because if they did they would face being suspended for games in the NCAA tourney. There's no chance any of the regular players on either team would risk that.

This is classic apologist bias. I will attempt to translate.

I do not like Hansbrough or UNC

Henderson, who usually plays sparingly, saw an opportunity to lay a hard foul on the opponent and embraced it. All the while knowing that it will have no effect on the outcome of the game

Duke had decided to concede the game by benching their starters. UNC, playing at home for the #1 seed in the tourney, was emptying the bench one at a time, mainly for the benefit of the crowd. Still, UNC had been handling Duke prior to that and continued to do so. At the 2-min mark UNC had an 11 point lead

At the time of the incident - 18.7 secs left - UNC still had an 11 point lead. Both teams were still playing with intensity...with pride. Both Henderson and Hansbrough had played roughly the same amount (30) of minutes. And, then the losing guy busted the winning guy in the face, on purpose, with malicious intent, as retaliation for playing better. The Duke player is the "punk". The Duke player showed no "class". It reminded me of something out of a Minor-League hockey game. Tragic.

Good for the rivalry, though. :laugh:

ncb_u_hansbrough_195.jpg

My translation:

I don't really know anything about basketball because I am a Tar Heel. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to get 1600 on my SATs and a 4.0 GPA so I could go to Duke. Thank god the rivalry is getting interesting again after we only won two games against Duke in almost ten years. I hope we win the ACC and NCAA Tournaments this year because when Duke gets some better/ older talent again we will revert to being their whipping boys as usual.

My translation:

I don't really know anything about basketball because I am a Tar Heel. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to get 1600 on my SATs and a 4.0 GPA so I could go to Duke. Thank god the rivalry is getting interesting again after we only won two games against Duke in almost ten years. I hope we win the ACC and NCAA Tournaments this year because when Duke gets some better/ older talent again we will revert to being their whipping boys as usual.

:doh:

A little bitter about losing 4 of the last 5 huh? :laugh:

I was wondering the same thing. I didnt get to se ethe end of the game until I got to work, but the guys on the radio had said that this could possibly be his last game at the Dean Dome and that Roy could be treating him as a Senior on Senior night by leaving him in and taking him out to a "Standing O".

I don't know how true that was, but they did say that on the radio.

If that's true I still think he had plenty of opportunities to do so a lot sooner than :14.5 left on the clock. It was pretty evident that game was in hand with a few minutes left. And why risk getting Tyler injured, or what ievitably happened, when the game is out of reach? Again, im not saying what Henderson did was in any way justified. But you have to wonder what Roy was thinking. Btw, after the game Coach K took a shot at Roy for this very thing. He said something to the effect of: "it's a shame the guy had to be in the game at the time"...That isn't a direct quote, but its close to what he said.

I just saw the highlights, he wasn't even trying to go for the ball, he was intent on hurting Hansbrough. He straight up threw his elbow towards his face, but tried to play it off like he was going for the ball during his conference afterwards:doh:

When they asked Henderson after the game about the incident he didn't say "Tyler" he called him "the kid" when describing what happened. I thought that was stupid.

My translation:

Actually, I'm a Cavalier and, in fact, I was pulling for Duke today as their win would have resulted in UVA winning the regular season title outright. But, Duke got spanked and then "gooned" it up. Oh well, Duke is Duke and this type of behavior is not unprecedented. I understand that even the Lacrosse team has been getting in on the act lately. Catch ya later, "townie"!

I had flashbacks of Charles Oakley when I saw that play. I don't think he meant to bloody him up but to give him a hard foul.

Either way it doesn't matter, Maryland will take both behind the woodshed again. ;)

And is it me or does Hansbrough have the same expression as Chunk from the Goonies?

ROCKY ROOOOAD

My translation:

Genius. Did you get a 1600 and a 4.0 (also, I figure someone who is so smart would know that a 4.0 in North Carolina is well below the average HS GPA for a UNC and a Duke student)? You sound like a caddy ***** just like Krybaby did after the game. Why not just accept the loss (although I have my doubts about whether you attended/could attend either school)? Dook is garbage this season, most have come to terms with that.

I have no doubt that the foul was hard and intentional. It was pure frustration with how the game was going (Dook losing and Hansbrough dominating). This is what happens when you lose your cool... you look like a total dick.

Coach K, although I understand he was being badgered with questions after a Carolina beatdown, sounded like the biggest beeyotch of them. "It's unfortunate Hansbrough was still in the game." Roy pretty much set that notion straight (walk-on Copeland checking in, wasn't T's fault he actually wanted the rebound, 8 points in 17 seconds UNC over Duke in the 70s). K has no klass. Pat Forde's article on the front page of ESPN.com NAILS it.

Anyway, that was definitely the greatest sporting event I have ever been in attendance for. Near riot atmosphere in the Dean Dome, I have never been a part of such tension.

On a Duke message board before the foul, they were calling for some goon shots on UNC.

yea someone has to knock him down, make him pay for coming in the lane, he has no fear or no second thoughts about coming through there, at least let him pay a price for his actions!

This post was edited on 3/4 5:19 PM by osii

Posted on 3/4 5:18 PM | IP: Logged

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=1021&fid=1690&style=2&tid=90625224&Page=2

Look, I'm not a UNC fan. I just am showing you what was being called for before the elbow was thrown. That was a goon shot.

Everybody knows Duke stopped getting the calls after Time-Clock-Gate that gave then a cheap win. Now all their years of relying on the refs to help them in big games is over, at least for now.

On a Duke message board before the foul, they were calling for some goon shots on UNC.

http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=1021&fid=1690&style=2&tid=90625224&Page=2

They weren't calling for goon shots. The fact is when the game was over Carolina proceeded to dunk the ball, then attempt a dunk that was blocked by DeMarcus Nelson on the next possession, and then Hansbrough was trying to dunk again. You aren't just going to let the other team do that to you. You know they're trying to rub it in by dunking whenever they can because they have no class. So you HAVE TO contest these plays. UNC played like punks, Duke doesn't rub it in at the end of games and this is one of the reasons why. Just pass the ball out and let the clock run down and none of this happens.

Look, I'm not a UNC fan. I just am showing you what was being called for before the elbow was thrown. That was a goon shot.

Everybody knows Duke stopped getting the calls after Time-Clock-Gate that gave then a cheap win. Now all their years of relying on the refs to help them in big games is over, at least for now.

Yes, because we all know that what some guy on an internet message board says has an impact on what happens in the game.

You people that like to continue to whine and moan about the conspiracy you like to think exists to give Duke wins just sounds like sour grapes, and quite frankly is pathetic.

Point blank if that kid played for anyone other than Duke that would be all over the place today. Imagine if he was wearing a Maryland or a Georgetown jersey. It would be the first thing you saw on sportscenter, discussed on cnn. What a joke. And it was funny how many times the color guy kept saying it looked unintentional. If you cant tell Im pissed about it.

I figured Id wake up this morning and at least one sports site would have a question about it, but as of 9am I havent seen it.

DUCK FUKE!

Of course geeks online didn't call the play. But, somebody called for a hard foul, and fans knew it was coming.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2787890&sportCat=ncb

So Duke wakes up Monday with a fresh black eye and a fourth loss to Carolina in the past five meetings. For the image-obsessed Blue Devils, it gets no worse than being bad and being dirty.

Of course geeks online didn't call the play. But, somebody called for a hard foul, and fans knew it was coming.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2787890&sportCat=ncb

Yes they knew it was coming because it is a fierce rivalry and UNC started bringing out the showboat dunks and generally acting like punks. Did you see Sheyer at the end of the game!? He had welts all over his body from being scratched and clawed the whole game. Duke players were tired, beaten, and beat up and so Roy Williams thinks it would be really cool to just keep the starters in and go for dunks against the Duke scrubs. Really classy move Roy, you showed Duke!!!:doh: It takes two to tango, if UNC hadn't been trying to show up Duke, Henderson never would have gone in thinking "I can't let this guy dunk" and Tyler Hansbrough wouldn't have had his face smashed in. They don't deserve that injury but they certainly share in the blame.

Archived