Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder, the pioneer

XtremeFan55

Washington Redskins

1937 - May 1999

A victim of a short, incompetent, little fool who has no business managing a sports franchise and who has single-handedly detroyed a a piece of my life by ruining the team and turning a day at the field cheering for them into an unaffordable, disheartening experience

Snyder, I see you weren't able to come up with a reasonable response to my post and had to resort to commenting on my sig, which you obviously don't understand.

Care to try again?

Considering the guy's name is Snydermustgo, I believe he agrees with your post. He obviously disagrees with your sig though so that is a different conversation.

Washington Redskins

1937 - May 1999

Actually, I would suggest that the entire National Football League was murdered by the players and owners in 1994 when the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that included the Salary Cap, Revenue Sharing and a number of other "innovative" ideas were introduced.

Snyder, I see you weren't able to come up with a reasonable response to my post and had to resort to commenting on my sig, which you obviously don't understand.

I don't understand your vapid 'argument' that the United States existed from the time of the first shots of the revolutionary war until the Democrats took back control of the two houses of Congress? Please explain it then. Because on level you appear to be talking about the death of a government that still exists and the other hand you seem to be trying to draw a comparison of the first shots at the British to a cyclical change in the composition of a 1/3 of the branches of the federal government.

As to your other comment, I've already shown (and here) how short-sighted your position is that there should be no salary cap so that the Skins can buy all the best players. So I'll refrain from restating the case here.

I'm just surprised I missed the silly sig when I commented earlier.

Considering the guy's name is Snydermustgo, I believe he agrees with your post. He obviously disagrees with your sig though so that is a different conversation.

Actually, no he and I DON'T agree. My comments were about what I would personally feel and do IF we start looking to the draft rather than free agency to build the team. I actually believe we've been doing things the RIGHT way during the Snyder regime and so long as he doesn't move towards the Draft as a priority, I'll keep supporting him.

As for the sig, he flat out doesn't understand what my sig is about; so I'm not sure he can agree or disagree with it.

The "United States of America" did not exist on April 19, 1775. The Declaration of Independence used the term united States of America. But the Declaration did not establish a country. It did not officially become the "United States of America" until November 15, 1777 when the Articles of Confederation was signed. Although, as a technical matter, that "United States of America" died on Sept. 17, 1787 when the Constitution superseded it. So, as a technical matter, *this* "United States of America was born on 9.17.1787.

As to the second part, I was down this weekend at the National Archives and saw the Constitution. So it is still around. As such, the "United States of America" has not died or ended.

Hope that assuages some concerns you may be having.

Even though you are too negative for me this made me laugh. The history major in me appreciates this.

It was all apart of Dan Snyder's master plan. Make everyone think that Free agency is the way to go and then bam!!! Use the Draft and fool everyone!!!

There is just one little problem with this, you need picks to draft and someone who knows what to select :)

I don't understand your vapid 'argument' that the United States existed from the time of the first shots of the revolutionary war until the Democrats took back control of the two houses of Congress? Please explain it then. Because on level you appear to be talking about the death of a government that still exists and the other hand you seem to be trying to draw a comparison of the first shots at the British to a cyclical change in the composition of a 1/3 of the branches of the federal government.

As I said, you don't get it. I'm talking about the death of a philosophy, not a government. Governments come and go. Right and Wrong are unchanging and permanent. They're the same today as they were in 1775, 1492, 1066, and every other time in history. We've just forgotten that, and in the forgetting, destroyed the last country in the world that had any connection to that philosophy. But that's a discussion for another forum and thread, so I'll leave it be.

As to your other comment, I've already shown how short-sighted your position is that there should be no salary cap so that the Skins can buy all the best players. So I'll refrain from restating the case here.

That's fine. You were wrong then and you're wrong now. Thankfully for you that Constitution you saw last week still gives you the right to be Wrong and to be vocal about it. You seem to make very good use of that right.

As I said, you don't get it. I'm talking about the death of a philosophy, not a government.

Well, the philosophical center of the revolution and the constitution is the right to vote for those that would represent the will of the people.

By that metric, the date you have chosen as the death of the philosophical ideal is actually proof of its continued perseverance, insofar as on that date, an election occurred. That is what the revolutionaries wanted.

So what other 'philosophy' do you believe was extant at the formation of the country that was no longer extant on November 8, 2006?

I'm trying to figure you out so I can understand your love for free agency.

if Gibbs can find some Dan Daniels type scouts..and if he holds on to our picks we can finally begin upgrading our team for the future.

when you've been as bad as us for over a decade, we could have picked up numerous top ten players over the years that would have been paying dividends by now.

another thing...I judge a coach based on how he's able to take a player and coach him up to a higher level of play....when you constantly add veteran players that have already reached their potential it seems to indicate that the coaches don't want to or are unable to improve the players but just want to design 'schemes' and 'packages' and plug em in...

good coaching is not about Xs and Os...

best pure coach I've ever watched at any Redskins camp was Jim Hanifan when he coached the OL under Turner...that man was a real teacher...Bugel is alot like him too.

Williams doesn't really impress me at all...nor does Byner...Breaux...or Lindsey...

Steve Jackson doesn't even belong in the NFL and i can't understand WHY Williams keeps him.

Dan Snyder inherited a mess.

The executives of the Cooke estate along with John Cooke handcuffed the team from doing anything during the last few years before Snyder. Then the losing bid by Millstein also handcuffed the team a bit.

Snyder takes over and the team overachieves to win the division (yes, that was a fun team that clicked on offense, but consider that Westrbook and Connell were our STARTING wr's).

There is no doubt that Dan has changed the league with some of his tactics. His initial tactics failed bad (spending high on proven vets, who in the end were a little past their prime) and didn't change league at all except they saw his mistake. His secondary tactic was a blip in hiring Schott to run the whole program. He then failed trying to bring in an inovative college coach (fair enough, it was a ballsy move and that should be applauded to some degree, Saban failed as did Holz, and many others). During that tenure he absolutely changed the league with signing RFA's. The next year teams tendered all RFA's higher, making it harder for teams to find it worthwhile to sign them to an offersheet.

Hiring Gibbs is when things really changed. Almost everything since Gibbs has the coach's stamp on it. Sure things are different than the first regime, but possibilities are different too. There is a full fledged free agency, and he can't stash players on IR anymore. Gibbs also now works for the richest sports franchise in North America (that wasn't the case when he was first coach) so his possibilities are even bigger than they were with Cooke who was known to be a big spender himself.

One change that no one seems to notice is that we pay all players a similar contract to others at their position on the team. They wouldn't give Pierce more than they gave Washington. Fletcher just got a similar deal to Washington's. He may be older, but that's absolutely zero inflation if you look at perfomance as near equal. Our WR's are all getting similar deals. Our O-Line has all been re-signed. Also, if I'm not mistaken Smoot just got a similar deal to Springs, and less than he was offered two years ago. There is a definite pattern, and I don't think any other team does things this way so much. They usually let the market dictate prices. We let our own players deals dictate prices at the moment. Unfortunately, there was no one to dictate Arch's contract.

There is no doubt Snyder has changed the league. Whether it's for the better or not, I can't say. But he has hardly ruined a once proud franchise. Since Snyder has taken over, 9 teams have won SB's. Once proud franchises like GB, Chicago, NYG, Dallas, SF, MIA, DEN, and such have all been shut out with only two of those teams making appearances.

Seeing that a team can come out of nowhere and win a SB (ala St.L, NE, Pitt, & Balt) goes to show that any year can be the year. We haven't been consistent, but there should be promise that a plan seems to be in place, coaches are sticking around, and this is a place that players consider to be a first place franchise in a desireable area to live. Philly has been one of the few completely consistent teams, yet they haven't won a SB. At the end, all that is remembered is they haven't won a SB. All it takes is one to make it all worthwhile.

In the last 15 years, we've made the playoffs twice (1999 and 2005). I'm sorry. No one is jealous of us in the league or trying to emulate us.

Making the playoffs in 2005 doesn't excuse the utter incompetence those managing this franchise has shown.

This is about trophies, not playoff appearances.

Snyder wasnt owner of all those 15 years either

Dan Snyder inherited a mess.

He inherited a division champion with three first round draft picks. A team that was on the verge of the NFC championship game with the resources available to secure the future of the organization for years to come.

I also really detest the statement later in your post that "Dan Snyder inherits the team and they win the division championship." Snyder had nothing to do with winning the division that year, he had everything to do with tearing that team apart and sending us into a near decade of futility.

Dude grow up please. When we made the playoffs in 05 were you saying this?

No, he wasn't; and it is obvious he won't ever grow up as far as this is concerned. It makes one wonder if he is secretly in love with Snyder and bitter that the man is not gay????:laugh:

He inherited a division champion with three first round draft picks. A team that was on the verge of the NFC championship game with the resources available to secure the future of the organization for years to come.

I also really detest the statement later in your post that "Dan Snyder inherits the team and they win the division championship." Snyder had nothing to do with winning the division that year, he had everything to do with tearing that team apart and sending us into a near decade of futility.

He inherited Norv Turner. And made an admittedly bad decision on whether to keep Turner or Casserly.

We got lucky that year. Turner had 7 years to prove himself and made the playoffs once with a dreadful defense. Look, I enjoyed that year very much. I was at every game (the Dallas one was devastating, and the Carolina game was the second most exciting 2nd half in Skins history maybe), but that was an overachieving team. It was the only time in Turners regime that the offense could click for a full year, and most of it had to do with Tre Johnson and Stephen Davis. I was in no way trying to say that Snyder was the cause or reason for it. Sure Snyder screwed up the chances the next year by firing Turner mid-season, but that team wasn't nearly as good.

He inherited an organization in disfunction. The coach and gm didn't get along at all.

Is he the worst owner in the NFL? Far from it.

Is he the best? Not likely.

But, I was trying to paint the picture of Snyder's regime and the trends we've seen.

Washington Redskins

1937 - May 1999

A victim of a short, incompetent, little fool who has no business managing a sports franchise and who has single-handedly detroyed a a piece of my life by ruining the team and turning a day at the field cheering for them into an unaffordable, disheartening experience

Actually, Snyder didn't take full control of the Redskins until mid-july 1999, July 14th IIRC. Hence, the team remained intact that year and went on to host and win a playoff game at home --making Snyder's best year the one in which he had the least influence.
SMG & Mass...take the sig debate to PM's, thanks.
Shoot. I was kind of enjoying it...

Better to go 0-16 every year trying to build a GREAT team through Free Agency than to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl every year by building a mediocre team through the draft (ie.. the New England Patriots).

Wait, is this a serious statement?

:laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Archived