Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we CAN't cut Springs

jivelikenice

I'm really glad to be reading that the Skins FO is considering holding onto Springs or at least trade him for some compensation. I have a few reasons:

1. We're already under the cap by 6+ million and have enough to go out and make 2-3 moves in free agency. This is before realeasing Hall, Patten, and maybe Collins opting out.

2. I we sign Smoot, then with him, Rogers, and Springs we have 3 capable startes at corner and this could also open up the opportunity for Springs to eventually move to safety.

3. We control his rights now. We either keep him or trade him to a team of our choice. If we cut him he can sign anywhere he wants and could come back to haunt us.

4. If we trade him we would get at least a 3rd rounder in my opinon, so why cut him for nothing when we can get something for him? If we trade down from #6 as well, there's a possibility of us actually have a full allotment of Day 1 picks....Either way we'll have to take the cap hit. My one question, if we trade him post June 1, is the impact of trading him identical to the impact of releasing him?

5. If we release him we're going to watse valuable resources that we don't have trying to replace what we already had.

if we get clements which i doubt... then we prob should release him or trade him i guess if we can get anything. problem is i don't think hes worth much. Hes old and expensive.

I would normally agree, but then again Detroit did just manage to get two possible starters and a draft pick in exchange for Bly, so maybe the market for old corners is higher than I thought. That said, Springs contract certainly makes him somewhat less attractive to other teams and for the cap hit involved to us.

Smoot or Hood with Rogers and Springs would be a good CB group. Perhaps Eubanks and another rookie for depth.

I agree that just cutting ties with a ProBowl caliber corner doesn't make sense. Esp with the accelerated CAP hit that goes along with it.

I hope they hold onto Springs. It seems like he could be a natural FS with moving Taylor to SS. The secondary then would be a bunch of ballhawks, esp with the young defensive linemen I envision us drafting!

I hope dont cut him, but it seems like tradition around here to get rid of our cbs. Now if was Carlos Rogers, I'd be all for getting rid of him

sophomore slump, a horrible defense around him, he was told to play with a cushion. he's a physical CB, it's not his style to play off. he had trouble catching and I think he probably was trying too hard and thinking too much. he's learning from the best in Darrell Green this offseason. CB is a skill position and takes time to learn, give him a year or two and we will determine his worth

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm a little under the impression that we want Springs to take a paycut to safety level of pay rather than corner level, and he's pretty much scoffing at the idea. Didn't he say he'd like to play safety though if he thought it could keep his career going longer? What's his bargaining tactic in this even? He missed practically all of last year and was hurt frequently enough in 2005. I'd like the guy to stay since I think he's a good leader for the secondary but if he's just going to keep getting hurt what's the use of him sticking around?

I hope dont cut him, but it seems like tradition around here to get rid of our cbs. Now if was Carlos Rogers, I'd be all for getting rid of him
Oh this still. Yeah Rogers really sucks- I can't believe he gave away all those games for us! Wait, he actually didn't cause us to lose anything, the entire defense did, including the sorry scheming and pressure from the front 4. Funny how short the memory around here goes though when it comes to Rogers shutting down Drew Brees and the Saints like he did Drew Brees and the Chargers though (until LT finally showed up atleast), or Rogers taking Torry Holt and Steve Smith out of the game. Way too much unnecessary hatred for Rogers being carried around here, and I get the feeling that by this time next year a lot of those same people will be all over his bandwagon again.

I'd like to keep Springs. He's been very good apart from last year. If we're ten mil under the salary cap right now, then we don't even need to restructure him. Let's ride it out one year, if his skills or health continue to decline then part ways. The problem with upgrading is that the upgrade takes time to learn the system or takes time to learn the other players.

The Skins can't cut Springs right now because the dead cap hit of prorated bonus money of $7.451m will more than take out his base salary saving of $4.875m or his total 2007 cap hit of $7.358m.

Besides the media are wrong on the cap number - we are only around $3.2m under the cap right now, but with plenty more ways to make space - including the thing the mediots keep missing - being able to guarantee $4.5m in roster bonuses and save around $3.5m.

I'm really glad to be reading that the Skins FO is considering holding onto Springs or at least trade him for some compensation. I have a few reasons:

1. We're already under the cap by 6+ million and have enough to go out and make 2-3 moves in free agency. This is before realeasing Hall, Patten, and maybe Collins opting out.

2. I we sign Smoot, then with him, Rogers, and Springs we have 3 capable startes at corner and this could also open up the opportunity for Springs to eventually move to safety.

3. We control his rights now. We either keep him or trade him to a team of our choice. If we cut him he can sign anywhere he wants and could come back to haunt us.

4. If we trade him we would get at least a 3rd rounder in my opinon, so why cut him for nothing when we can get something for him? If we trade down from #6 as well, there's a possibility of us actually have a full allotment of Day 1 picks....Either way we'll have to take the cap hit. My one question, if we trade him post June 1, is the impact of trading him identical to the impact of releasing him?

5. If we release him we're going to watse valuable resources that we don't have trying to replace what we already had.

trading him sounds reasonable but I still don't want to have to outbid teams with more cap space for clements.

If Springs gets cut, it won't be until after June 1, since there is no benefit in cutting him now. Even so, considering his dead cap number is about as much as his salary, it still doesn't make that much sense to cut him even then.

But, he might not be back next year. Certainly, not at these numbers. I think the renegotiations are for keeping him longer than just this year.

Jason

The Skins can't cut Springs right now because the dead cap hit of prorated bonus money of $7.451m will more than take out his base salary saving of $4.875m or his total 2007 cap hit of $7.358m.

Besides the media are wrong on the cap number - we are only around $3.2m under the cap right now, but with plenty more ways to make space - including the thing the mediots keep missing - being able to guarantee $4.5m in roster bonuses and save around $3.5m.

Doesn't your website say we are about 6 mil under the cap?

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salary%20Cap%20Position.html

Been thinking about that point. I can easily see the Giants or Cowboys pouncing on him -- both need corners

The Skins D Was So Much Better Last Year When Springs Was On The Field....the Problem Of Course Was That Was So Rare. I Would Demand He Take A Contract Based On Incentives, Including Playing Time. Paying A Guy Over 7 Mill To Stand Smiling On The Sidelines Is Nuts.

Archived