Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell's new contract

Kurd Cudins

collins wouldnt be cut i dont think, unless they want this casey bramlet kid to be the 3rd QB. wynn, patten, fauria, and hall can all go and so can springs and daniels. thatd be great if we ended up like 20 mil under the cap. we could sign clements, fletcher-baker, maybe even resign dock, and if not snag stienbach from the bengals.

If you've established Campbell as your starter and Brunell as your mid thirties backup QB who just signed essentially a one year deal, you need a #3 who is not also in his mid thirties. I'd look for the skins to pickup someone in the draft (late rounds), as a UFA, or a younger FA to be the #3 QB at this point.

If you've established Campbell as your starter and Brunell as your mid thirties backup QB who just signed essentially a one year deal, you need a #3 who is not also in his mid thirties. I'd look for the skins to pickup someone in the draft (late rounds), as a UFA, or a younger FA to be the #3 QB at this point.

but what about this bramlet kid? we just sent him to NFL europe, maybe theyre thinking of cutting colins and having this kid as the 3rd stringer?

No, so stop complaining. Brunell saved us money, and gave us the services of a veteran backup who knows the offense.

Unfortunately some allow their hate for Brunell the player to keep them from seeing that teams need to have a back-up QB. Brunell is set to make just what another QB (back-up) would on the open market. He is not the answer to every week play, however, he has proven that he can manage the game and allow the team the opportunity to win if his services are needed. Rarely in today's NFL do starting QB's go the entire year without injury. If the season is a good one in 2007 and we are in the thick of a playoff race then we will probably need Brunell at some point to get us through a game or two. Look at what happened in Philly. Case in point.

I know I am dreaming to think that the "hate" will stop but I am hoping that some will realize that this is a need on EVERY team and there aren't too many servicable back-ups out there.

Good move. You jerks who boo him at FedEx when he fills in for a dinged up JC need to grow up.

i would have booed mark brunell had i been at a home game around titans time, but as the backup theres no reason for that. i felt bad for him when people booed him at the giants game at fedex, but im sure there was booing well before that and it was deserved. he was plain awful.

I think this was a solid move by the organization and a great gesture by Brunell.

To the people saying this was a horrible move or that we wasted 2.5 million, instead of always complaining and never coming up with REALISTIC solutions to the issues on our team, would you care to name a couple of other options where we would have saved 4-5 million in cap space and retained a viable #2 QB with knowledge in the system. AND PLEASE DON"T EVEN BEGIN TO SAY THAT TODD COLLINS IS A BETTER OPTION.

but what about this bramlet kid? we just sent him to NFL europe, maybe theyre thinking of cutting colins and having this kid as the 3rd stringer?

Rule of thumb: if the team has sent you to NFL Europe, the team is not interested in you.

The ideal thing to do is take some QB from Kellogg State in the fifth of sixth round and say, "Here's a clipboard...don't drop it."

But considering how few draft picks we have, I'm not sure that is feasible this year.

For those who wanted to cut him outright. That was not the best option. This was/is and greatly benefits us. I'll explain. Here were our options with Brunell:

1: Cut him now/before June 1st. We save $2 million this year with no dead cap next year.

2: We cut him on/after June 1st. We save $5.2 million this year with a dead cap of $3.11 next year. Only problem is, we don't save that money until June 1st, when all the good free agents are gone. In effect, we would have a bunch of money but nothing to spend it on.

3: What we did. We paid $820k for a backup QB and the ability to save $4.38 million at the beginning of free agency rather than later. My guess is that the contract calls for another vet min year for Brunell so there's a good chance he'll be back on 2008 for the same cap hit.

Our current FO has always been good at restructuring. That's never been our problem.

Good at restructuring is fine, but they dont restructure them correctly in the sense of we will eventually take HUGE hits on backloaded contracts. This restructure is much different than previous ones. I like this one a lot and hopefully a trent starts.

I think you'd be looking for a step in #3 now, that can be the default #2 next year. I don't expect Brunell to be here next year. I also don't see Collins stepping in as the default #2 next year. So, with it taking 1-2 years to get the Offense down, do we grab a QB this year & give him the Manny White treatment or do wait until next year to grab JC's backup & hope he can get enough of the Offense down to be effective if he's needed?

NFL Europe or not, Bramlett isn't going to be the guy. Last year he was the 4th string scrub QB to get them through Camp.

This is one thing a lot of people suggest, but it's a bad idea. A QB with 7 games experience, backed by an aging QB coming off shoulder surgery and a late round rookie could be a recipe for disaster.

That's why I thought we shoudl cut Brunell, sign a decent younger vet back-up (say a Tim Rattay/Joey Harrington type) who can stick for a few years. Then you have Colllins as a safety net for a year. Next year, when Campbell is more established and the back-up has had a year in the system, you could look to draft and develop a rookie.

We could still cut Collins and sign a vet, but it will be harder to convince someone of quality to come and be the #3 guy.

Archived