Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell's new contract

Kurd Cudins

Exactly, I mean, that is why student athletes with no chance of going to the next level never try to win and have no heart. And rec athletes, yeah, it's amazing that THEY actually pay to play when all they care about is getting money for their performance or potetial performance. :doh:

Fine. In pro sports, it is always about the money. ALWAYS.

From Slate's review of John Amaechi's book:

"The fan sitting at home … wants us to love the game like he does," he writes. "If he knew why we really play the game, for the most part, he might not love the game. He might not even watch it."

http://www.slate.com/id/2159931/fr/flyout

Every now and then, you will hear about how Tom Brady took less to stay with New England or how Magic Johnson gave back some money to sign Orlando Woolridge (and note I had to go back to 1988 to find another example). In both those cases, the athlete in question almost certainly gained more in endorsements, notoriety, etc by their "team first" attitude.

Look, I like to play softball on weekends. But if I was good enough to command millions of dollars to play for the Yankees, I would sign with them in baby's blood. And I hate the Yankees.

Let's just all stop being naive about sports, okay. It's 2007.

1. Keeping Collins and Brunell presents it's own problems, as that means we are very likely to go into 2008 with two new back-up QBs. I don't like that idea at all.

I never said that they would keep both. If Brunell checks out, let Collins go. If Brunell isn't able to go, get rid of him and have Collins be the main backup.

Personally, I think we will go into camp with Campbell, Brunell, Collins and Bramlett. It is possible that another young guy could also be brought in, if we draft him or if he's a FA.

Jason

I never said that they would keep both. If Brunell checks out, let Collins go. If Brunell isn't able to go, get rid of him and have Collins be the main backup.

Personally, I think we will go into camp with Campbell, Brunell, Collins and Bramlett. It is possible that another young guy could also be brought in, if we draft him or if he's a FA.

Jason

And then you go into the season with Campbell, collins and a rookie. Ugh.

The team probably won't get much of a look at Brunell's shoulder health by June 1, when he's due a bonus.

Regardless of how he looks, going into the season with him (given his health history and age) and a rookie as the only back-ups is very shaky. And going with Collins as #3, as I said, leads to likely two new QBs next year.

I just disagree with all those vs. a olid younger vet #2 with Collins for one more year, plus extra cap room in 08.

Other than that, I feel like I'm arguing in circles.

Brunell couldn't help it he stunk. People should have been booing Joe Gibbs for not replacing an obviously ineffective Brunell.

You nailed it right on the head! I dont blame Mark a bit for trying to get all he can get. Coach Gibbs II wont swallow his pride and he has hurt this team with his ego.

Archived