Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players must fit our team style

XtremeFan55

Towards the end of the season Gibbs finally took back control when he saw that what was being played wasn't working and he told the players and coaches during that infamous meeting that could be heard outside in the halls of Redskin Park... that for now on they were going to play "Redskins football"...which was to concentrate on running the ball and stopping the run.

The offense went from pass heavy to run heavy and we had considerable success as Ladell Betts went on to rush for over 1000 yards while playing less than half a season.

The defense couldn't do it's part because they lacked the necessary personnel to stop the run and we all watched as opposing runners had career days against our defense.

Gregg William's defenses seem to put a premium on the LB and CB positions while neglecting the DE..and it's seems to be built on speed and blitzing to compensate.

It worked for many years until last year where it got exposed...but part of that could be due to injuries to Griff and Big Joe..the tackles couldn't close the middle and therefore we couldn't stop the run. ...and when you can't stop the run, you have to play eight in the box to compensate which exposes your secondary and the whole defensive team falls apart with the result being that all players end up having a sub-par year.

It's the team..and when one part isn't working then it fails as a whole...and every player from Taylor to Rodgers to Holdman to Marshall etc.. got beat and humiliated last year.

And Joe Gibbs was right...you need to stop the run first...then everything else will work. That's why the emphasis on the DL this offseason. Fletcher as MLB will be a great pickup because he will be an upgrade over Marshall and will be better equipped to stuff the run. I'm hoping Griff and Salavea will return healthy and back to their 2005 level of play...and if they do, we don't really need to pursue another DT with our 6th pick which I think is too high a price to pay for a DT since DT and running backs are the positions that can be filled rather easily.

That leaves a DE. Gaines Adams is not a good fit for the Redskins because he is undersized similar to Carter which will continue to expose our defense to the run..but instead of thru the middle they'll run around end. If the Redskins do pursue him, I believe they will convert him to LB and use him as a down lineman in obvious passing situations like Lavarr. Don't really see this happening because then we wasted a pick on Rocky last year.

Jamaal Anderson is too raw and probably won't help much next year. I mean, even Mario Williams was practically a ghost last year with Houston and he had more talent. Jamaal had one good year and people are comparing him to Julius Peppers because he has the same build with the long arms. But remember, we need help now, not 2-3 years from now...and 2-3 years from now we may end up grooming him and then losing him to FA right at the time when he reaches his potential.

So that leaves me with my personal preference..Adam Carriker. Carriker has been compared to both Richard Seymour and Jared Allen in size, strength style and energy...meaning another player with a big motor. He also is a run stopper virtuouso who can also play DT. And since he played 4 years and is a senior, he has the more experience and can help immediately.

With Carriker and Fetcher in the middle I can envision the Redskins defense leading the league in lowest rushing yards...if the Redskins also pursue and get Clements, we will be one of the top pass defenses also. And once that defense starts clicking, then we could very well begin to see the true value of Adam Archuleta who can go back to doing what he did best...blitzing the quarterback.

So this is the defense I hope for..

Carriker

Griffin

Salvea/Golston

Carter

Washington

Fletcher

McIntosh

Clements

Rodgers

Taylor

Prioleau/Archuleta

and Smoot for nickle back.

I think we can win with that.

Redskins can trade down to get Carriker and pick up more draft picks to fill more holes and build depth.

Release Springs, Holdman, Wright, Hall, Fuaria, and Patten.

And remeber...every year we hear that the Reskins are in cap hell and yet they get what they want somehow....this year we could possibly get both Fletcher and Clements and add Smoot at a veteran minimum.

when Redskins 1 flies up to Buffalo on Friday, it will be picking up 2 passengers that won't be going home.

Sounds relly good to me, great point, good post, i dont think we will got both London and Nate, i think that would be to hard, i say sign an allright CB like one of the Colts CB's or Hood. I think we need to Get rid of AA, but i also think he needs ONE more AND I MEEN ONE more shot.

Anderson has only 2 years at DE, he could be the next J.Peppers, Carriker is really good, but we could trade down and get him, so if we could get a first and 2nd, Carriker and Tank Tyler would make me very pleased.

I agree completely. Before the combine I was pulling for Anderson, but the fact that he decided not to work out worries me about his physical skills and his work ethic. If it were possible to trade down a few spots and get either Okoye or Carriker in the first round and Tank Tyler or someone like Quentin Moses or Anthony Spencer in the second I'd be much happier. My optimal combination would be Carriker and Tyler, even though it is a bit of a stretch, our D-line would be substantially bigger and stronger with the addition of those two.

Very educated post. I like how you presented your points.

However I think Fletcher would be a HUGE mistake. He's on the decline and let's not forget that his defense was horrible against the run the past 2 years with him starting for them. Especially when Tikeo Spikes went down. He's past 30 and on the decline. He reminds me too much of the many other overpaid free agent busts we signed and I would hope we learned from our mistakes and do not commit another one. At first glance I do like the idea of signing him but when I dive a little deeper into it and examine his on the field play, I see a guy that has lost his skills in the past 3 years and keeps losing a little more each year. The biggest thing that scares me is the amount of money we might over pay him. That as well as, again, the fact that his defense was so aweful against the run with him playing. And he even had a massively large DT in front of him too.

Also, Jamaal Anderson is said to have a nonstop motor as one of his strengths and he is ranked as the top DE on Mel Kipers big board. Mel Kiper is usually spot on and the last 7 years have proved it with me keeping tabs on players he scouted. They all panned out like he said.

Or...

Sign Fletcher, sign Smoot, trade down a few spots and pick up a 3rd rounder (2nd if a gem player like Johnson or Peterson falls to us) draft LaRon Landry and get a defensive end with the 2nd or 3rd rounder.

DE Carter / Rookie

DT Griffin / Salavea

DT Golston / Salavea

DE Daniels / Rookie

OLB Washington / Marshall

MLB Fletcher-Baker / Posey

OLB McIntosh / Marshall

CB Rogers / Smoot

CB Springs / Smoot

FS Taylor / Prioleau

SS Landry / Archuleta

Not a terrible situation no? It would cost us less money...

Good post. It got me to thinking, wouldn't it be great to be able to add your boy Carriker and someone like Posluszny? That alone would be a great draft and would take the sting out of not having many other picks. Even if we do get Fletcher, I'd like to see us find a way to get Posluszny.

Good post, but I would like to point out...that our biggest problem at stopping the run last year was failure to tackle. Watch alot of those games, and we had the runner in the backfield ALOT of times, so I wouldn't put blame on the schemes GW came up with. I blame the inability of the players to finish, and make the tackle. Whether that be GW's fault, or the players fault remains to be seen, but his schemes were fine IMO...at least against the run.

Or...

Sign Fletcher, sign Smoot, trade down a few spots and pick up a 3rd rounder (2nd if a gem player like Johnson or Peterson falls to us) draft LaRon Landry and get a defensive end with the 2nd or 3rd rounder.

DE Carter / Rookie

DT Griffin / Salavea

DT Golston / Salavea

DE Daniels / Rookie

OLB McIntosh / Marshall

CB Rogers / Smoot

CB Springs / Smoot

FS Taylor / Prioleau

SS Landry / Archuleta

I would agree on all except the lineup at SS...I still dont think we brought in Arch to babysit the bench. He earns first-string salary and I think he'll be traded or released if the coaches think he wont crack the starting lineup this season.

Sounds relly good to me, great point, good post, i dont think we will got both London and Nate, i think that would be to hard, i say sign an allright CB like one of the Colts CB's or Hood. I think we need to Get rid of AA, but i also think he needs ONE more AND I MEEN ONE more shot.
Anythings possible.Remember last year when guys where saying we wont sign Arch ,El ,and Carter and look what happened.

Towards the end of the season Gibbs finally took back control when he saw that what was being played wasn't working and he told the players and coaches during that infamous meeting that could be heard outside in the halls of Redskin Park... that for now on they were going to play "Redskins football"...which was to concentrate on running the ball and stopping the run.

The offense went from pass heavy to run heavy and we had considerable success as Ladell Betts went on to rush for over 1000 yards while playing less than half a season.

The defense couldn't do it's part because they lacked the necessary personnel to stop the run and we all watched as opposing runners had career days against our defense.

Gregg William's defenses seem to put a premium on the LB and CB positions while neglecting the DE..and it's seems to be built on speed and blitzing to compensate.

It worked for many years until last year where it got exposed...but part of that could be due to injuries to Griff and Big Joe..the tackles couldn't close the middle and therefore we couldn't stop the run. ...and when you can't stop the run, you have to play eight in the box to compensate which exposes your secondary and the whole defensive team falls apart with the result being that all players end up having a sub-par year.

It's the team..and when one part isn't working then it fails as a whole...and every player from Taylor to Rodgers to Holdman to Marshall etc.. got beat and humiliated last year.

And Joe Gibbs was right...you need to stop the run first...then everything else will work. That's why the emphasis on the DL this offseason. Fletcher as MLB will be a great pickup because he will be an upgrade over Marshall and will be better equipped to stuff the run. I'm hoping Griff and Salavea will return healthy and back to their 2005 level of play...and if they do, we don't really need to pursue another DT with our 6th pick which I think is too high a price to pay for a DT since DT and running backs are the positions that can be filled rather easily.

That leaves a DE. Gaines Adams is not a good fit for the Redskins because he is undersized similar to Carter which will continue to expose our defense to the run..but instead of thru the middle they'll run around end. If the Redskins do pursue him, I believe they will convert him to LB and use him as a down lineman in obvious passing situations like Lavarr. Don't really see this happening because then we wasted a pick on Rocky last year.

Jamaal Anderson is too raw and probably won't help much next year. I mean, even Mario Williams was practically a ghost last year with Houston and he had more talent. Jamaal had one good year and people are comparing him to Julius Peppers because he has the same build with the long arms. But remember, we need help now, not 2-3 years from now...and 2-3 years from now we may end up grooming him and then losing him to FA right at the time when he reaches his potential.

So that leaves me with my personal preference..Adam Carriker. Carriker has been compared to both Richard Seymour and Jared Allen in size, strength style and energy...meaning another player with a big motor. He also is a run stopper virtuouso who can also play DT. And since he played 4 years and is a senior, he has the more experience and can help immediately.

With Carriker and Fetcher in the middle I can envision the Redskins defense leading the league in lowest rushing yards...if the Redskins also pursue and get Clements, we will be one of the top pass defenses also. And once that defense starts clicking, then we could very well begin to see the true value of Adam Archuleta who can go back to doing what he did best...blitzing the quarterback.

So this is the defense I hope for..

Carriker

Griffin

Salvea/Golston

Carter

Washington

Fletcher

McIntosh

Clements

Rodgers

Taylor

Prioleau/Archuleta

and Smoot for nickle back.

I think we can win with that.

Redskins can trade down to get Carriker and pick up more draft picks to fill more holes and build depth.

Release Springs, Holdman, Wright, Hall, Fuaria, and Patten.

And remeber...every year we hear that the Reskins are in cap hell and yet they get what they want somehow....this year we could possibly get both Fletcher and Clements and add Smoot at a veteran minimum.

when Redskins 1 flies up to Buffalo on Friday, it will be picking up 2 passengers that won't be going home.

Okay I just got to ask, have you ever seen J. Anderson play? The man is a freaking beast. I watched him in both the Florida and LSU Games, and man he was just plain awesome. I know Arkansas ultimately lost those games, but noone could accuse him of not leaving it on the field. Thats all you can ask of a player really.

So consider that and I'll move on to a flaw in your logic.

I'm hoping Griff and Salavea will return healthy and back to their 2005 level of play...and if they do, we don't really need to pursue another DT with our 6th pick which I think is too high a price to pay for a DT since DT and running backs are the positions that can be filled rather easily.

So you find fault in two of the DEs on the board just after saying that we don't need a DT, but then go on to say you think we need Carriker, now I won't argue that I like our chances regardless of who we pick, but It seems counter intuitive to go on a rant that we probably don't need a DT (thus no need for branch I'm assuming) then do the same to the Defensive Ends you listed. Now Carriker may be good too I'm not disputing that, but if he really is the player we need, then shouldn't he be the #6 pick if we can't trade down regardless?

I just don't understand the logic in that post, we drafted Golston and Montgomery last year as I recall? signing another young DT, is not that high of a need. Besides there aren't many players out of College that don't need to make the adjustment and change to play in the NFL. That's a fact in life. Personally I'd be happy with Anderson if we get him, he's got good size and strength from what I've seen on TV, and while he won't be going up against skiny tackles in the NFL, he's probably the best DE in the draft this year.

this year we could possibly get both Fletcher and Clements and add Smoot at a veteran minimum.

I was with you all the way until this part. I don't believe Smoot will sign for the vet min. He has made statements that he's "nobody's backup" and won't come here (I think) unless he at least has the chance to compete for a starting slot. With other teams looking for CB's also, I just don't see vet min landing him

Although I suppose Danny Boy may give him a ridiculous signing bonus, big enough to convince him to sign for the vet min (I know, far-fetched right?)

:logo:

I believe that you had the right premise but the wrong conclusion. If the key to defense is stopping the run why wouldn't Branch be your selection as the #6 pick?

He may be the huge run-stopper we've needed. Have you seen the numbers that Michigan posted against the run? They are phenomenal and he was a big part of that.

We have suffered by not having the big dominant tackle who can take up two blockers on every play. With the way Griffin can move and penetrate, Branch would be the perfect complement to him.

With Branch and Griffin, both of whom should be able to defeat a single blocker, who's going to block a blitzer or get to the second level to block a linebacker?

With Branch, the DE's should be one-on-one on every passing down. Hopefully, they can apply more pressure under those circumstances.

Forget about drafting any DE (all of whom have some question marks) and forget about trading down for pedestrian talent. Branch needs to be our pick at #6.

Point I was trying to get across was the Redskins need to trade down and get more picks, therefore Adams, Anderson and Branch should be passed over since there still are some very good DE left like Carriker and Okoye.

I prefer Carriker because of his run defense and ability to also play DT if necessary...more versatile player...plus his experience factor of playing 4 years already.

Carter was added last year to be the play maker and he finally started showing signs towards the end of the year. Give him someone on the other side of the line and Carter will sart racking up the sacks. Besides, Carter and Adams are too similar..why pick another similar player that's under weight?

Jamaal Anderson just seems like a player who had only 1 good year...too risky...we need help by September...not 2-3 years away.

Too many players take time to reach their potential and then leave for more money when FA arrives...that means we can always pick up Anderson in 2010..in his prime :)

but meanwhile Carriker can help immediately.

I like Branch...and would think the logical approach would be to draft him.

But we need more picks..and spending a # 6 on Branch seems too high...he'll cost more and most likely be a holdout during training camp.

if we can get Carriker or Okoye further down and pick up a # 2 or # 3 we can draft another quality player that can start next year.

2 good players are better than 1 potential great.

I understand your point and I think you're on the right track but, as I wrote, I just don't happen to agree with your solution.

Primarily, I think we disagree on the value of Alan Branch. I believe that he could be a dominant player for years to come. If i didn't think so, then I'd have no problem with trading down and i have no issue with picking Adam Carriker if we do trade down.

But if I'm right about Branch, you just don't pass up the opportunity to get a dominant player, even if you think you need more draft picks. It would be better to find a way to get more picks other than trading down.

Look at Dave Butz; he was invaluable to the Skins for many years. Dave Butz cost the Skins two #1 draft picks and he was worth it.

By the way, I strongly disagree with you that having two good players is better than having one great player. We're talking about the NFL where every team has good players. It's the great players that make the difference.

Dallas traded something like 7 players to Seattle for the right to pick Tony Dorsett - and Seattle got ripped off.

If we can get a great player at #6, we should take him, whether it be Branch, or Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson. If we can trade down and still get a great player we want while making another team pay through the nose for the #6 pick, then, fine, we should do it. Otherwise, no.

Or...

DE Carter / Rookie

DT Griffin / Salavea

DT Golston / Salavea

DE Daniels / Rookie

OLB McIntosh / Marshall

CB Rogers / Smoot

CB Springs / Smoot

FS Taylor / Prioleau

SS Landry / Archuleta

Posey is a converted DE and is not a MLB. Also, the front 7 would still be bad and would not improve over this past year. So, having all your glitz in the defensive seconday would not do much good. They be supporting the run because the front 7 cant stop it and covering the receivers forever and still getting burned. Yeah, it would be like last year.

Posey is a converted DE and is not a MLB. Also, the front 7 would still be bad and would not improve over this past year. So, having all your glitz in the defensive seconday would not do much good. They be supporting the run because the front 7 cant stop it and covering the receivers forever and still getting burned. Yeah, it would be like last year.

ding ding.

although snyder needs to find a way to get some extra draft picks, preferably a low 1st rounder, high second rounder, or maybe even 2 second rounders. theres so many beast defenders in this draft.

Archived