Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2007 Draft - Some Alternate Views

armada58

I've been reading thread after thread about The Skins 2007 Draft. Lots of good stuff for sure. I love draft talk. However, I'm hearing a lot of the same ideas. Quite frankly, some of the popular opinions I just don't see happening and some I do. Here are a few Alternate Views on what will happen in late April...........

Popular View #1: (We need to trade down and get more picks)

This may be true. I'm not arguing that we don't need more picks. It's obvious. However, it is not going to be easy. First you need a team willing to trade up AND do so for fair value (2nd or 3rd rounder). This is not an easy thing to find. The signing money for the #6 pick alone is a turn off. Additionally, people want to trade down fix the mistakes of the Front Office for trading away our other picks. We'll see if this happens. If it does, I hope we get fair value.

Alternate View: Our current picks in 2007 are what they are. The reality is in black and white. We have to let it go and also let go of the idea of fixing it. We have to suffer through the lack of picks in the 2007 draft. What needs to be our primary concern with regards to Draft Picks is that our Front Office does not dip into our 2008 Draft Picks to fix 2007. 2007 is gone. Those 2008 Picks need to be protected like Fort Knox. There's nothing wrong with staying at #6 and then going to sleep until Day Two of the draft.

Popular View #2: (The Combine will shed some light on the Adams vs. Branch vs. Anderson vs. Okoye Debate)

Self explanatory, really.

Alternate View: Forget it! Get the Combine out of your mind. It has become a completely worthless evaluation tool. Not to mention that no top 20 pick is going to work out anyway. The Combine is only useful for taking advantage of the opportunity to sit down and interview a bunch of the players you're interested in. Forget the "Individual Workouts" as well. Complete waste! What we need to know about these players abilities is all on tape right now. 40 times, Vertical Leap, etc............ fodder for Mel Kiper. (Don't get me wrong, I love Mel. The guy is a machine on Draft Day.)

Popular View #3: (We need to get our hands on Adams/Anderson/Branch/Okoye)

Our primary need is D-Line and we can get one of the top 3 on the board where we currently sit at #6.

Alternate View: Actually, I don't have an alternate view here. Anybody who watched this team play defense for 20 seconds this year knows we need a DT or a DE in the worst way. The best defensive series we played this year was the first series against Cincinnati in the first pre-season game. It's been downhill since then. Why put that at risk by trading down and missing out on the best D-Linemen available? We should grab one of these guys at #6 and be happy we did so. Our need is too great to risk not filling it with what could be a great player.

Popular View #4: (None of these D-Linemen are that great. We'll be making a mistake taking one of them at #6)

You may be right!! But, it's the ultimate pessimistic view based on very little info. It's also the easy route because, if you're right, then you get to say how you knew it all along. If you're wrong, then you get to happily sit back, watch one of these guys tear it up , and say, "well, he was supposed to be this good!"

Alternate View: Listen, the draft is a crap shoot. Always has been, always will be. You do the best you can. Nobody is 100% with it. We REALLY need a D-Lineman. At #6, we can get one of the best availble. Adams/Anderson may not be Julius Peppers and Branch/Okoye may not remind you of Tommie Harris, but there's nothing there to suggest that any of them can't be great players. One thing is an absolute certainty. Adams/Anderson/Branch/Okoye are better than what we got. Look at it this way...... Branch/Okoye vs Salava'ea or Adams/Anderson vs Wynn/Daniels.......................... That's what I thought.

Popular View #5: (We need a GM. Our Front Office sucks!)

Alternate View: Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :yes:

Popular View #1: (We need to trade down and get more picks)

This may be true. I'm not arguing that we don't need more picks. It's obvious. However, it is not going to be easy. First you need a team willing to trade up AND do so for fair value (2nd or 3rd rounder). This is not an easy thing to find. The signing money for the #6 pick alone is a turn off. Additionally, people want to trade down fix the mistakes of the Front Office for trading away our other picks. We'll see if this happens. If it does, I hope we get fair value.

Trading down would be a very good idea at this point. The thing that determines the trade down is a partner and how well you evaluated talent. Think about it: Calvin Johnson is still on the board and New England offers their two first rounders. Now, is Calvin Johnson worth the two players that could be available?

Alternate View: Our current picks in 2007 are what they are. The reality is in black and white. We have to let it go and also let go of the idea of fixing it. We have to suffer through the lack of picks in the 2007 draft. What needs to be our primary concern with regards to Draft Picks is that our Front Office does not dip into our 2008 Draft Picks to fix 2007. 2007 is gone. Those 2008 Picks need to be protected like Fort Knox. There's nothing wrong with staying at #6 and then going to sleep until Day Two of the draft.

We don't have to suffer. Its possible that there's a partner and the Redskins should see what they can get.

Popular View #2: (The Combine will shed some light on the Adams vs. Branch vs. Anderson vs. Okoye Debate)

Self explanatory, really.

Combine means very little.

Alternate View: Forget it! Get the Combine out of your mind. It has become a completely worthless evaluation tool. Not to mention that no top 20 pick is going to work out anyway. The Combine is only useful for taking advantage of the opportunity to sit down and interview a bunch of the players you're interested in. Forget the "Individual Workouts" as well. Complete waste! What we need to know about these players abilities is all on tape right now. 40 times, Vertical Leap, etc............ fodder for Mel Kiper. (Don't get me wrong, I love Mel. The guy is a machine on Draft Day.)

Top 20 picks may not work out at the Combine, but they tend to work out on Pro Days. That way their teammates can be viewed by the scouts as well.

Popular View #3: (We need to get our hands on Adams/Anderson/Branch/Okoye)

Our primary need is D-Line and we can get one of the top 3 on the board where we currently sit at #6.

Defensive line is a huge need with the Skins. They were terrible against the run and couldn't get pressure on the QB.

Alternate View: Actually, I don't have an alternate view here. Anybody who watched this team play defense for 20 seconds this year knows we need a DT or a DE in the worst way. The best defensive series we played this year was the first series against Cincinnati in the first pre-season game. It's been downhill since then. Why put that at risk by trading down and missing out on the best D-Linemen available? We should grab one of these guys at #6 and be happy we did so. Our need is too great to risk not filling it with what could be a great player.

Just because its a high pick, doesn't mean the player will automatically be that good. DeWayne Robertson, Johnathan Sullivan, Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Sims, and Wendell Bryant all come to mind.

Popular View #4: (None of these D-Linemen are that great. We'll be making a mistake taking one of them at #6)

You may be right!! But, it's the ultimate pessimistic view based on very little info. It's also the easy route because, if you're right, then you get to say how you knew it all along. If you're wrong, then you get to happily sit back, watch one of these guys tear it up , and say, "well, he was supposed to be this good!"

So, you're saying that we will be fencesitting fans? :silly:

Alternate View: Listen, the draft is a crap shoot. Always has been, always will be. You do the best you can. Nobody is 100% with it. We REALLY need a D-Lineman. At #6, we can get one of the best availble. Adams/Anderson may not be Julius Peppers and Branch/Okoye may not remind you of Tommie Harris, but there's nothing there to suggest that any of them can't be great players. One thing is an absolute certainty. Adams/Anderson/Branch/Okoye are better than what we got. Look at it this way...... Branch/Okoye vs Salava'ea or Adams/Anderson vs Wynn/Daniels.......................... That's what I thought.

Thats why scouting is very important.

Popular View #5: (We need a GM. Our Front Office sucks!)

Alternate View: Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :yes:

Eh, maybe. Doesn't seem to matter when Danny Boy is around . . .

Exactly. That's why, if Calvin Johnson falls, we trade down, ASAP.

But, I mean, really, is he going to fall down? The Raiders might need Wideouts, the Bucs want one, bad, and you never know what the Lions are going to do. On the off chance he does, we need to trade with the Pats, Chiefs, or Titans.

View #5: It doesn't matter who we pick. If Calvin Johnson isn't there, but if he is you ride that train all the way to Superbowl Dynasty!

:doh: X One trillion

Saying CJ is actually useful here is one thing, saying that his presence will take us to the Superbowl is quite possibly the single stupidest thing I've read on here (Yes, it beats out the Portis trade rumors)

Okay, I'll give you an alternate view....

Conventional wisdom says to grab one of the D-linemen (Adams, Anderson, or Branch). Personally, I'm not that thrilled with any of them. Yeah, we need help on the D-line and that's probaby what we should do, but if you want an alternate plan, here you go.

Go hard after Freeny or Jared Allen (or maybe another FA out there) and Nate Clements.

Then you have some choices at the 6th pick. If Prisco's recent mock draft is accurate (yeah, I know we're talking about Prisco here), then JaMarcus Russell will be available. If that's the case, then I'd take Russell at six.

Hey, it's an alternative plan!

Hail,

H

Of course the draft will heavily depend on what we do in FA. This scenario is if we are unable to sign Nate Clements at CB, but able to sign Dwight Freeney or some other DE:

If Adrian Peterson falls and is still available at #6, we could trade down with the Packers- who need a RB and may covet him.

We give them 1st round #6 overall, they give us their 1st (#16), 2nd (#80) and 2008 2nd round pick.

With the 16th pick, we can then take whoever's available from Charles Johnson (DE-LB), Jarvis Moss (DE), Darrell Revis (CB), Patrick Willis (ILB), Adam Carriker (DE).

I personally like Patrick Willis, to be our MLB of the future. http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=834

With the Packers' 2nd round pick, we might be able to grab someone who slips, like a Brandon Meriweather (S) from "The U" or Tank Tyler (DT). Meriweather could be our SS, with Rogers and Springs holding down the CB position until we can get one next year. Or Tyler could be a starter at DT. Some gem may slip, or we just take the best player available in a position of need.

Then we'd have our full compliment of picks in '08 (I think), plus an extra 2nd rounder.

Really the #6 pick in the draft won't break the bank because of the position we are drafting, DE or DT. If we do trade down that is fine but we need our first pick to be able to step in and play immediately. Branch and Anderson can do that. Okoye and Adams may be able to do that depending on the package they are asked to play. I would be willing to trade down if we can get one of these four players.

how about what Sean Payton stated on NFL network yesterday: go with the best athlete available even if that doesn't fit your pre-draft needs strategy. He stated that going into the draft the Aints had no plans to draft a RB...then Reggie shows up! hmmmmmmm.........does lend an "alternative" perspective to CJ...

Trading down doubles the front office chances of screwing up. Also, the Cardinals hold the key to any trades.If Joe Thomas is gone, there is no reason for them to stay at #5.

lmao - that's what I was thinking. as one movesd own the ladder discovery skills for finding talent become more important. why should anyone believe the Skins have these skills when drafting is a process they don't really accept as a value adding process?

Really the #6 pick in the draft won't break the bank because of the position we are drafting, DE or DT. If we do trade down that is fine but we need our first pick to be able to step in and play immediately. Branch and Anderson can do that. Okoye and Adams may be able to do that depending on the package they are asked to play. I would be willing to trade down if we can get one of these four players.

remember that the first overall pick in the draft only played so so last season.

Archived