Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would signing Clements and Fletcher further disrupt team chemistry?

D'Pablo

It's not chemistry I'm worried about. It's about the fact that if we sign Clements, we once again won't be able to spread our money around and build depth. We'll have like ten players eating up over half the cap. That's crazy.

The cap = nothing to Danny. The lack of depth isn't because we can't afford it...it's because it isn't a priority and that falls under the scouting department's responsibilities.

As far as chemistry...I don't think that word even goes in a sentence with a phrase like "31st ranked", and description like "terrible". These are grown men, paid professionals that should know that everyone's job is on the line when you perform that poorly. Marshall should be happy to have had the opportunity to start...and Washington will look better after he recovers from injury.

I'd move Springs to FS, put clements at #1 Cb, Get Adalius Thomas or if we could just straight deal Betts for Vilma, take Vilma, and then draft Jamaal Anderson.

getting both those guys isn't going to happen....to much money. Also, you want to trade a guy who wants to be on this team so badly he accepted a contract below his market value? I'm really glad your not the one running this organization.

Some posters are acting as though Marshall played horribly throughout the season and that our defense never showed glimpses of our two previous seasons. The D performed really well when Springs was absolutely healthy. We got sacks and turnovers during that brief time. The chemistry was there. Now we're going to force a brand new arrangement on the team. Replacing two starters on the defense alone is a much bigger deal than we're making it out to be. Perhaps because we see it every offseason this turnover seems normal. Thus far, we're calling for a new MLB, CB, SS, and DT/DE.

As long as Clements performs, I think the team would be glad to see the Skins were doing everything possible to fix a 31st ranked D. It doesn't matter who is starting and where, when you have the second worst D in the league, everyone's job is in danger. Clements may be high-priced, but he iwould be the highest-caliber FA we've brought in since Portis. Springs shouldn't be upset, given his injury history. Spriings would be the best nickle in the NFL, or maybe he gets moved to FS, and Taylor to SS. Who knows. But Clements is a definite upgrade over Springs, and w/ Springs' not restructuring, he could get traded.

The Bills' reports on Fletcher indicate that he is a team leader on defense. The guy puts everyone into position, and rallys them in tough spots. One of the coaches even said he is Buffalo's Ray Lewis. Add to that the fact he doesn't get injured, and you've got yourself the best short-term solution possible. Fletcher will have a nice contract, but it won't break the bank, and he will probably retire before the contract ends. Marshall and McIntosh would battle for the starting outside linebacker job, and they might even split time, and groom Rocky to eventually be the MLB. Fletcher would be a great mentor for him.

Guys. I think that if we do get Clements, Carlos is going to go to nickel not Springs. Carlos has to know his role. He is young, played ok last year, considering the season we had.

Imagine

Clements

Springs

Carlos (Nickel)

Taylor

Arch

Washington

Fletcher

Marshall/Rocky

Carter

Branch

Griffen

Daniels

That looks good to me...with the possible exception of Daniels...

What do you guys think?

To answer your question: I dont' think it will help team chemistry, but every team has to deal with this every off-season. If they do obtain these players, we'll see how it plays out. But judging from team history in the Snyder era, it won't help much.

Everyone should know that every player knows that there starting job is not secure because if they relax and take it easy then they are replaced. This happens all the time in the NFL. Look at the Detroit Lions and their problems with drafting WR's. They drafted three back to back to back. Charles Rogers is no longer with them because he didn't perform. So if you don't perform up to what you are expected to do then you are subject to being replaced. If we get Clements or Asante then they will move Springs to safety to give us a very formidable secondary.

As for Fletcher, that would be an upgrade from what we have now. Marshall is good on the outside but is too small for the inside. If any of you were the owner and making the decisions you would make changes you felt were right and you would get the same criticism that you are giving. I feel the Skins need a better evaluator of talent and do more research then what they do now to get better skill players for the team. Gibbs knows what he wants and gives his input to Dan. Dan has much respect for Gibbs and will do anything it takes to win even if it is to let a few of our good players go because they can't see the bigger picture. If they want money they will get it but if they want a ring they need to see the bigger picture.

Honestly, if there were no chemistry, we'd be looking at firing the entire defensive coaching staff and replacing all of our players. The fact of the matter is that we're two seasons removed from a top 10 defense. Most of those players are still on our roster and we'll likely need them if we're trying to improve on this year's effort.

When I see these guys constantly being mentioned on this site' date=' this is the question that immediately comes to mind.

First off, Clements will be incredibly expensive. This might mean animosity between Springs and the team. Say what you will about Springs, but he has the respect of everyone in our secondary. We all saw how improved their play was with him in the lineup. He definately steadied the play of Sean Taylor. Moving him to FS or Nickelback will turn heads in the locker room. Suppose Rogers were to develop into an all-pro or, as is more likely, a very good corner. Do we pay him as much as we dropped on Clements?[/quote']

You're right. We wouldn't want to bring in a pro bowl corner. It may insult and embarrass our guys who are getting beat deep. Although, I don't think Springs will have an issue with it. Why would he? He'll be getting paid for sitting on the bench with another injury for the 3rd straight year.

Seeing as how the defense didn't have that much chemistry last year anyways, I don't think our moves this off-season will negatively impact morale. Sure, the players that lose their starting spots (Springs, Marshall, Daniels) are not going to be happy, but as long as its an overall upgrade to the entire unit and the defense plays better, that discontentment will be gone by week 2.

These guys are professionals, as much as they want to get paid and keep their starting position, they know much more than we do when they aren't making plays or getting beat consistently. Sure they'll ***** and whine a little bit, but that's a given. Plus, the morale of our good starters will be markedly improved when they see new players giving the same effort they are and resulting in wins.

Winning cures everything.

I liked Carlos in his first year, but have I missed something here? He's not an AllPro corner, or a shutdown corner. You'd have thought that when Springs was injured last year we could rely on Carlos to step up and at least solidify his side. However, in my opinion, he wasn't good enough at times, playing way off his guys, or getting beat when he was tight. I really hope he progresses because I like the guy, but last year he didn't live up to my, all be it very high, expectations.:2cents:

Springs insertion did not make the D that much better. The defense was miserable year round. It played two good games. Springs is a very good cornerback, but though I hoped it would his insertion did not right the ship. There was too much wrong. In the second half of the year even when Springs played, we gave up far too many 95 yard drives. The second half of the season, the run defense collapsed on top of the pass defense woes. This despite the fact the offense stepped up and gave the d time to rest and plan. I don't know if it was injury, age, mutiny or what... but that D rarely if ever performed up to the standard it set during William's first two years.

The question is how old is Fletcher, I have heard his name for many years.

the same age as Marshall. - The reason you've heard his name is that he is a good player and his name gets mentioned a lot. Marshall has done an admirable job the last 2 years, but he is not suited to play MLB.

I don't get the how some people on this site want to get rid of Saunders after one year and Williams after one bad year, but don't want to improve the weaknesses of the team because it might hurt someone's feelings.

I dont think it disrupts the team chemestry. I think it brings two leaders into the locker room and anyone who has questions about the defense or the coach can ask these players and get their related stories and experience. I think it puts Washington at ease that Fletcher will be back there, and Marshall should like it because he gets to go back to his origanal position. I think Springs will like not having to be the every down cover corner, and I think it may give Rogers someone to look up to, and ask questions... someone to teach him how to catch a ball. I think not re-signing Dockery will disrupt the O-line chemestry more then bringing in FA's will disrupt the defense that didnt really have chemestry.

Good analysis. I agree. and, if there is one thing that the defense is lacking, it is good leadership.

Well considering that I don't think the defense had any chemistry this past year, and I don't think they thought they did either, there really shouldn't be much to disrupt. Believe me, they know they need change and to bring in some better talent, they may not like it but they know it is necessary. I am sure being almost last in the league hurt them just as much as it did us. They have nothing to be proud about and therefore not excuses to dislike any changes that are made.

Archived