Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would signing Clements and Fletcher further disrupt team chemistry?

D'Pablo

When I see these guys constantly being mentioned on this site, this is the question that immediately comes to mind.

First off, Clements will be incredibly expensive. This might mean animosity between Springs and the team. Say what you will about Springs, but he has the respect of everyone in our secondary. We all saw how improved their play was with him in the lineup. He definately steadied the play of Sean Taylor. Moving him to FS or Nickelback will turn heads in the locker room. Suppose Rogers were to develop into an all-pro or, as is more likely, a very good corner. Do we pay him as much as we dropped on Clements?

In the case of Fletcher, I assume that Marshall would take his acquisition as a slight. The team is essentially telling him that despite playing injured last season and having a very good 05' season, he can't cut it at the Mike. Moreover, he will be relegated to the second string with Washington and McIntosh taking up the other starting LBer spots. Marshall is an UDFA, and has had to work much harder than others on the team to get to where he is. I would imagine the team would look at this slight to Marshall as saying "No matter how much you accomplish, how hard you try, and how productive in the future you may be, we (the Redskins) will eventually look to replace you."

Anyone else out there think this will be the case?

I think you may have something in terms of Clements, as when he's healthy Springs is a pretty good corner. However, I think it is clear that everybody was disappointed with Marshall's play in the middle this year. And I think that even if they bring in a FA MLB, Marshall will still compete with McIntosh for the OLB job. I understand your points though.

I dont think it disrupts the team chemestry. I think it brings two leaders into the locker room and anyone who has questions about the defense or the coach can ask these players and get their related stories and experience. I think it puts Washington at ease that Fletcher will be back there, and Marshall should like it because he gets to go back to his origanal position. I think Springs will like not having to be the every down cover corner, and I think it may give Rogers someone to look up to, and ask questions... someone to teach him how to catch a ball. I think not re-signing Dockery will disrupt the O-line chemestry more then bringing in FA's will disrupt the defense that didnt really have chemestry.

every team adds players every year. Marshall is a safety turned LB who is best suited as a back-up. I don't know why he'd be upset if he was replaced by a player that is better than him.

Springs - he got paid nicely already and I'm pretty sure he hasn't already forgotten how many games he missed last year.

I agree actually. I think Carlos and Taylor are way better then people give them credit. I think Archulletta a year from now will like like pure genious (at least that's my hope.) I think we need to add someone with leadership ability to help lead that defense, but at the same time we need to not keep applying mercenary bandages to everything.

I'm not sure what you mean about moving him to FS will turn heads in the locker room, when he said himself a couple of years ago he wouldn't be opposed to it in order to lengthen his career.

Well, Taylor is our FS. There is no way that Springs could handle the bruising that comes from being a SS. Using this logic, there is no way that Springs could be a starter come next year with Clements's signing. Demoting Springs when he has shown to be a great starter when healthy would turn heads in the locker room. Granted that he hasn't been all that healthy the past two seasons, it still makes more sense to acquire someone that is a great nickel and could be a good starter, someone that can develop with time. We had the right idea last season, but we made the mistake of thinking Kenny Wright is that player. Offering up another huge contract to another corner seems to reinforce the idea that the Redskins don't value the guys on their roster.

every team adds players every year. Marshall is a safety turned LB who is best suited as a back-up. I don't know why he'd be upset if he was replaced by a player that is better than him.

Springs - he got paid nicely already and I'm pretty sure he hasn't already forgotten how many games he missed last year.

I couldn't understand why Marshall wouldn't be upset. He worked himself up this roster only to see his position stripped from him after two seasons. No player on our roster should think of themselves as back-up material, even including Brunell.

Also, not every team adds players the way we do. The Colts, for instance, have broken the bank for all of two FAs in the last 10 years (Corey Simon and Booger McFarland). They don't look for the stop-gap FA for every single weakness. Coincidentally, these teams consistently have winning seasons.

Well' date=' Taylor is our FS. There is no way that Springs could handle the bruising that comes from being a SS. Using this logic, there is no way that Springs could be a starter come next year with Clements's signing. Demoting Springs when he has shown to be a great starter when healthy would turn heads in the locker room. Granted that he hasn't been all that healthy the past two seasons, it still makes more sense to acquire someone that is a great nickel and could be a good starter, someone that can develop with time. We had the right idea last season, but we made the mistake of thinking Kenny Wright is that player. Offering up another huge contract to another corner seems to reinforce the idea that the Redskins don't value the guys on their roster.[/quote']

I think the idea would be that AA is the SS and will used close to the line and Springs will be sort of the "nickel" safety - meaning when we go cover 2 in obvious passing situations, which requires a safety that can cover, Springs comes in, AA or a LB come out. - I think this was close to what they intended to do last year with Priealou being that 3rd down safety, but when he was injured, AA was forced into a position the played to his weakness.

it is always a delicate thing to deal with the feelings and pride of men, especially successful rich men. springs when healthy is a top 5 cb in the league, he has size and speed. but , he can't stay healthy. this was a well documented problem in seattle.if we truely have superbowl asperations as a team then we can't roll the dice and hope that springs has a healthy year.this defense relies too much on it's cb to take a chance on someone who's history is so clear. i am not talking about heart , talent, ability or even willingness. i am talking about the ability to stay healthy.if god where to say he will be healthy all year then by all means move on. but he hasn't, we also have to think about the future. marshall could go over to opposite lb spot of washington. which would give us a fast smart and formidable lb corp. washington, fletcher, marshall. with mcintosh growing in the rear.well, that my 10 cents worth. that's 2 cents with inflation.i'd like to see it but who knows.whatever is truely best for this team and will help them to get to the superbowl. :laugh: :cheers: :2cents: :wavetowel :fortune:

Also' date=' not every team adds players the way we do. The Colts, for instance, have broken the bank for all of two FAs in the last 10 years (Corey Simon and Booger McFarland). They don't look for the stop-gap FA for every single weakness. Coincidentally, these teams consistently have winning seasons.[/quote']

every team adds players - if we signed contracts that sound big, that's "the way" we do things, but like you said - the Colts signed guys the last few years, as did the Bears, the Patriots, the Giants, the Eagles and every other team that was in the playoffs. - Gibbs was the king of adding vets every year before there was free agency.

...and as far as Marshall - most players that have made it to this level understand that if someone can do the job better, they can either get better or accept it.

Archived