Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: The Way We Hear It (Redskin passing game)

Fifty Gut

Some may not agree, but I think that Clinton's return will help the passing game as well. Though Betts did well in protection and in running the ball, he simply isn't the blocker or threat that Clinton is. Just think back to Clinton's first run as a 'Skin and tell me that you could see Betts doing the same thing. That, I believe, will serve the passing game well next year.

Al Saunders has been in Ladell's corner. In combined passing and rushing yards, he was 50% of our offense in a couple of those high scoring games closing out the season. I forsee using two backs equally with Portis getting a few more carries but Ladell catching more passes.

In other words, the redskins are going to start throwing 6 wide-receiver screens a game again. The only thing wrong with the passing game last season was Mark Brunell. Everyone produced more with JC, and once we start converting 3rd downs, it will get even better. So, really, the skins need to worry about possession plays more than anything else.

I could not agree more. The only thing really wrong with the Skins offense was Clinton Portis was injured, there was a new playbook which takes time to learn, and the most important position on offense...the QB...was offensive for most of the season.

This will be the first year in 6 years that campbell does not have a new offensive system to learn. And in addition, when he started midway throught the year, a lot of you forget that he hadn't played football in about a year and a half. He sat on Gibbs bench his first year AND the first half of his second season.

He now has a running head start, and a chance.

well the drop off in Santana Moss' production should not have been unexpected. He viturally has done nothing until his break out season with the Redskins. It's called reviewing and disecting game film. Santana needs to make a statement this upcoming season to prove that he's truly an elite receiver.

well the drop off in Santana Moss' production should not have been unexpected. He viturally has done nothing until his break out season with the Redskins. It's called reviewing and disecting game film. Santana needs to make a statement this upcoming season to prove that he's truly an elite receiver.

Santana will be alright so will Lloyd and Randle El the main problem last year was that Gibbs waited too damn long to pull the plug on Boonell that hindered JC's developement and his time to gel with the receivers. The D is going to be the only thing holding us back.

Im starting to believe more and more that Gibbs needs to stay out of Saunders way when it comes to the play calling. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have his '05 KC offense than Gibbs '05 offense.

You have the same thing everytime. So u are not starting believe. The KC offense of 05 does not work in the NFC east. There is a different climate and more aggresive and physical defenses.

And Saunders had different talent. Thats why he like Betts and does not talk to Portis. Betts is a multi purpose back who catches a lot out of the back field. Portis does wnat he wants.

Saunders needs his guys to play hard in pratice. Portis does not pratice.

So lets use some logic here. There is a reason when Saunders had full conrol of the offense we did not score 1 offensive TD in road NFC east games. And it is not just becuase Mark Brunell.

Im starting to believe more and more that Gibbs needs to stay out of Saunders way when it comes to the play calling. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have his '05 KC offense than Gibbs '05 offense.

Gibbs' running game philosophy > Saunder's

You have the same thing everytime. So u are not starting believe. The KC offense of 05 does not work in the NFC east. There is a different climate and more aggresive and physical defenses.

exactly

the poodle offense of attacking the wings with runs and reverses doesn't work here

I disagree with the premise that even some of the WR problems was because of the QB switch. Mark Brunell was unable to get the ball to his wide receivers, he was a big part of the problem. We then went to an inexperienced QB who naturally needed time to learn on the job and was going to make mistakes and be limited in what he could do. The way they phrased it, it made it read like it was only because of the switch to JC that the WR suffered some down numbers.

While I think Brandon Lloyd may turn out to be a bust (I'm still hoping he can turn it around), I think the WR suffered because of our mismanagement of the QB situation. Had we gone into the 2006 season with Jason Campbell as our starter (like some of us said last February :D ). Give him all the reps in the OTAs. Give him all the work with the starters in TC. Let him work with the starters in the preseason. I have no doubt that the numbers would have been much better.

During the course of the 2006 season we went from an over the hill QB with no ability or desire to make the aggressive throws (15-30 yarders..ie to the WR) and then we switch to a guy who has the ability and the desire but no experience and no prep time for taking over the job (sorry a few practices during the bye week just doesn't cut it).

We should see dramatic improvement in 2007.

I think about it like this: the offseason before the '05 season the main thing was a few personell changes here and there, but a lot of the changes were schematic ones, as the offense ran in '05 was a tweaked version of '04. I imagine it will be the same thing in '07 hopefully.

I agree and share your hope, though the X factor is the D. In 04 and even 05 the D was good enough to carry the team most of the time, whereas this year it was downright awful.

"During the course of the 2006 season we went from an over the hill QB with no ability or desire to make the aggressive throws (15-30 yarders..ie to the WR) and then we switch to a guy who has the ability and the desire but no experience and no prep time for taking over the job (sorry a few practices during the bye week just doesn't cut it).

We should see dramatic improvement in 2007."

Totally agree with you scruffylookin. Now that the defenses we face have to respect the aggressive throws, the whole offense will open up, like how it did in the last few weeks of the season. Give Campbell some time in the offseason, and our offense will be fine; but our problem next year will be the D.

get rid of lloyd to start, then get the timing right with JC SM and ARE and then get a big possesion no name reciever to be the third

I agree with finding a big possesion reciever that would come cheap, but i'm not ready to give up on Lloyd yet. Give him more time to develop chemistry with Campbell, and see what happens next year

How about Gibbs 83 offense vs 05 kc offense?

if true, further evidence that too much is being attempted to cover every base by hiring all-star coaches across the board. Belichick doesn't have $25 million worth of assistant coaches on his staff and yet gets the Pats to the playoffs every season.

the Redskins have too many coaches and most of these are OLDER coaches. this team needs a youth movement, not only on the field but also on the sidelines.

Archived