Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: The Way We Hear It (Redskin passing game)

Fifty Gut

The team’s wide receivers suffered through a tough season, and though some of that was because of the team’s QB switch in midseason from Mark Brunell to Jason Campbell, it’s clear also that a difference in philosophy between head coach Joe Gibbs and assistant head coach/offense Al Saunders also was a driving force behind the team’s lack of production there. Gibbs and Saunders differed in the passing game, and though both men wanted to make the offense more balanced with the addition of WRs Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd, the dramatic drop-off in Santana Moss’ numbers was not expected. The coaches reportedly are spending a lot of time dissecting the design of the passing game with an eye on giving the wideouts — namely Moss — more chances to gain yardage after the catch.

source

I think about it like this: the offseason before the '05 season the main thing was a few personell changes here and there, but a lot of the changes were schematic ones, as the offense ran in '05 was a tweaked version of '04. I imagine it will be the same thing in '07 hopefully.

In other words, the redskins are going to start throwing 6 wide-receiver screens a game again. The only thing wrong with the passing game last season was Mark Brunell. Everyone produced more with JC, and once we start converting 3rd downs, it will get even better. So, really, the skins need to worry about possession plays more than anything else.

In other words, the redskins are going to start throwing 6 wide-receiver screens a game again. The only thing wrong with the passing game last season was Mark Brunell. Everyone produced more with JC, and once we start converting 3rd downs, it will get even better. So, really, the skins need to worry about possession plays more than anything else.

exactly. teams knew we would only throw short with boonell so they stacked up on us and it went nowhere. the fact our coaching staff didnt adjust to this is mind boggling.

The offense is not the problem. Once Campbell got in there and became comfortable, the offense did just fine. The defense is what needs to be worked on. Stop giving up the long pass plays by getting more pressure on the QB. The skins need to address the d-line and mlb positions first. By doing those two things, I think every thing else will work.

That's what I thought about to when I read "yards after catch." I hope to god that they learned from that last season.

The offense is not the problem. Once Campbell got in there and became comfortable, the offense did just fine. The defense is what needs to be worked on. Stop giving up the long pass plays by getting more pressure on the QB. The skins need to address the d-line and mlb positions first. By doing those two things, I think every thing else will work.

I agree with this one. The offense is fine, it just needs stability to build chemistry and gel.

I agree, I don't think it is the offense that needs work, though Gibbs and Saunders need to mesh their ideas about what the offense should do. If we focus too much on Moss people will begin double teaming him again, and the we wont get to the other open receivers, not good, this is what Brunell was doing, Moss is great but we have to use the other guys so that he can get open.

We are a power running/play action pass down the field/control the clock offense. Gibbs emphasized that more late in the year. With JC in a full offseason as the starter, and the emphasis on that type of game plan from the get-go, the offense will improve.

Fixing the damn defense this offseason will not only help keep opposing teams from scoring at will on us, but allow our offense to play their game.

Lets face it, it was a bad year all around. I can only name 2 good things that happened this past season. The running game, and special teams. But i think with a full offseason with Campbell starting and he will establish timing with the receivers our passing game will be very good next year.

300th post!!!!!:point2sky

Why is everyone automatically thinking this means they want more screens and dump offs?

Think more like the play against Jax where Moss took it to the house after a 7-10 yard route. That was a great play designed to get him in space, and look what happened. We need more of those, and if you notice at the end they said ALL THE WRs need that opportunity. Of course, it should be mainly Moss... I'd hope our coaches were smart enough to realize we have, possibly, the best playmaker in the NFL right now on our team.

PFW and all the so called experts should also remember that Santana had a hamstring problem most of the year and missed 3 games. With a healthy hammy, a tweak of the offense AND JC at the helm, I expect all passing numbers to improve.

Exactly right. Moss missed three games and was probably about 85% in three or four more. Given his career injury history, we can hope for it, but we can't realistically count on the kind of production from Santana that we saw in 2005. We need another receiver to step up.

Some may not agree, but I think that Clinton's return will help the passing game as well. Though Betts did well in protection and in running the ball, he simply isn't the blocker or threat that Clinton is. Just think back to Clinton's first run as a 'Skin and tell me that you could see Betts doing the same thing. That, I believe, will serve the passing game well next year.

Archived