Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Every Year About This Time...

Apache516

Every year about this time I start thinking about what it feels like when your a fan of a team that's playing in the Super Bowl. I think of the pride that must be felt, the warm fuzzies it must give. A feeling I have LONG forgotten. I really can't remember a whole lot from 1992. I remember being very exctied... But that's just a distant memory... a twenty four year old memory. Some day, hopefully SOON, Joe will get us back to the Super Bowl, and remind us all again, what it feels like. How long, though will it take

Hail to the Redskins!!!

:dallasuck

I have never experienced it either. I was very young and all i remember is my whole family being excited that whole season. I bet the skins were awesome that year. My grandmother sewed me a mark rypien jersey for halloween. Thats all i remember. But one day soon we will know what its like.

Let me explain the feeling...some of the old timers would probably agree with me...

I remember vivdly what it was like after the Skins beat the Vikings to go to SB 22 and then after they beat the Lions to go to SB 26...

When you wake up in the morning, you hope it's not all a dream...

During the day, there is little else on your mind that matters other than the big game...

You are constantly going through scenarios like how will we score first...what will the 2 minute offense do before the half...what will average yards per rush and completion percentages be...etc?

Your heart rate will frequently rise while you are fantasizing about the game...then you will relax and realize you have 12 more days to play out better scenarios in your head that will result in us running away with a victory...

There are times that you face the realization that we MAY NOT win the game and you go through scenarios on "how not to lose too bad" (They all suck!)

You hope that if the end of the world is coming...it will wait until monday after the game...

You strut around with your chest out a little farther cause the team made it all because of you!...

You start to think that maybe this will be the 1st of three straight Super Bowl Titles...

You think about all the other teams in the NFL and how they all seem like your cute little pets...except for the one that you are playing...

When you go to bed at night, you play out every possible scenario until 3 in the morning...by this time they have won the game 50 different ways and have occasionally lost the game in your mind...you set your alarm to wake up later...

I'm sure there are more feelings but I can't think of them all right now. Anyone have similar feelings like these, or any others?

God I want those feelings back again!!!!!!!!!!!

What I miss from the days of the first Gibbs run is having supreme confidence that the team would finish at least 11-5. And that when we did go to the SB and win it, that we'd have a legit shot at repeating, even if we never did (although we did get there back-to-back).

Nowadays, with salary cap and free agency, I'm not sure if I would get as excited if we went from, say, 5-11 to the Bowl. Not that the Patriots didn't do that very thing and went on to win two more....just seems like there was a logical pregression that teams used to make before winning the SB. Not anymore.

Let me explain the feeling...some of the old timers would probably agree with me...

I remember vivdly what it was like after the Skins beat the Vikings to go to SB 22 and then after they beat the Lions to go to SB 26...

During the day, there is little else on your mind that matters other than the big game...

You are constantly going through scenarios like how will we score first...what will the 2 minute offense do before the half...what will average yards per rush and completion percentages be...etc?

Your heart rate will frequently rise while you are fantasizing about the game...then you will relax and realize you have 12 more days to play out better scenarios in your head that will result in us running away with a victory...

There are times that you face the realization that we MAY NOT win the game and you go through scenarios on "how not to lose too bad" (They all suck!)

You hope that if the end of the world is coming...it will wait until monday after the game...

You strut around with your chest out a little farther cause the team made it all because of you!...

You start to think that maybe this will be the 1st of three straight Super Bowl Titles...

You think about all the other teams in the NFL and how they all seem like your cute little pets...except for the one that you are playing...

When you go to bed at night, you play out every possible scenario until 3 in the morning...by this time they have won the game 50 different ways and have occasionally lost the game in your mind...you set your alarm to wake up later...

I'm sure there are more feelings but I can't think of them all right now. Anyone have similar feelings like these, or any others?

All of those, except I'm extremely nervous. The day before and the day of the game, my mind races more to "what if we lose" than "we will win"

It's funny, I have those feelings now during the regular season. :D

P.S. Minus the SB feelings that I obviously edited out. :)

Dude mee TOOO! I was thinking last night as I lay in bed, what it would feel like if the Skins were going to the big one. Just to come on here and see all the posts, how the next 2 weeks would go. How everyone around town would be happy etc.

Dammit I was only 12 years old when we went last time, it would be great to feel that again.

]']You're lucky. I've NEVER felt that great feeling. I've always wondered how it feels. I'm guessing its happy' date=' but other than that, I have no idea. I'm sure its a feeling of ecstacy that I'd never be able to even imagine.[/quote']

Looks like we're in the same boat. I hope our time will come soon.

I was only a youngster in 1992 so I didnt expierence this but I sure would like to watch the Dallas fans eyes go to the floor when I come into work the day after the conference championship. I would love to feel their envy. Last year was great but it wasnt the big game.

I've lived on the West Coast all my life so there are many Skins fans which is good cause when they DO go, I get to be in their face.

Oaccasionally, people will try to jump on th eband wagon but I don't let them. I "test" to see just HOW MUCH of a Redskin fan they really are and when they started. I don't just let "anyone" take the glory!

I went to the skins vs. lions 91' NFC championship game at RFK. Best football experience of my life. I had watched them on TV since forever, but this was the first real skins game i had been to, and the one thing i can remember about that game more than anything was how loud RFK stadium was. I couldnt even hear myself think, and i was screaming in my dads ear trying to talk and it was impossible. That atmosphere was so electric i have yet to go to a sporting event that tops that game, everyone in that stadium knew that the skins were going all the way. You couldnt even breathe in the metro on the way back it was so crowded and everyone was so fired up. But, I was 7 and i cant wait till the skins bring that feeling back to DC sometime soon.

:cheers:

The first game I went to was probably an embarassing loss to Dallas shortly before we left RFK. But hey, I'm still around and I was there to see that losing streak of my childhood end 35-7 with my traitor Cowboy fan sister beside me.

I remember those days so well. My parents would throw a super bowl party and everyone there was a skins fan. We'd blast hail to the redskins after each touchdown and people would even sing along. My mom would run outside and bang on pots and pans and you could see the neighbors who didn't come to the party doing the same thing.

In SuperBowl XXII there was some uncertainty if we'd win, especially after the first bomb from Elway to ... someone. Denver scored so quickly and before you knew it the score was 10-0. Doug Williams went down, Schredor got sacked, we fumbled on the kickoff... It just seemed to wrong. Well the rest is history.

Against the bills, I remember being extremely confident. The skins flat out DOMINATED everyone that year and it was hard to conceive them losing to the sacrificial lamb of super bowls. Our defense was nicknamed capital punishment and our offense was incredible. It seemed like every deep bomb would go for a touchdown to clark, sanders, or monk. Our running game was solid with Riggs and Byner and the Oline was dominant too.

After the super bowls, I remember skipping school to see the parade in DC. The streets lined with what seemed like millions of people. Everyone in a great mood, no fighting, just smiling faces everywhere. T-shirt vendors are on EVERY SINGLE corner selling their wares. It was just unbelieveable. DC, Maryland, and VA was alive with skins fans...

In SuperBowl XXII there was some uncertainty if we'd win, especially after the first bomb from Elway to ... someone. Denver scored so quickly and before you knew it the score was 10-0. Doug Williams went down, Schredor got sacked, we fumbled on the kickoff... It just seemed to wrong. Well the rest is history.

Ricky Nattiel, WR from FLA. One of the 3 amigos, which spurred the Redskins WR corpes to come up the Posse as an alternative, because the media was asking what their nicknames were.

Every year about this time I start thinking about what it feels like when your a fan of a team that's playing in the Super Bowl. I think of the pride that must be felt, the warm fuzzies it must give. A feeling I have LONG forgotten. I really can't remember a whole lot from 1992. I remember being very exctied... But that's just a distant memory... a twenty four year old memory. Some day, hopefully SOON, Joe will get us back to the Super Bowl, and remind us all again, what it feels like. How long, though will it take

Hail to the Redskins!!!

:dallasuck

well....from a slightly different perspective...having been with the Skins since the days of Sonny playing for horrible squads but still playing outrageous gmes with the Boys through Vince, George and Joe.......winning the SB is nice - the first one (like many things in life!) was the best - but the glow wears quickly. it's, as the players say, the whole drama of getting there that lingers. That '91 season was unbelievable - I can still remember the Oiler/Titan game that season...a real fingernail biter. That team dominated end to end.

truth be told....it is a janet jackson world.....next season rolls around and you're back in the hopper with everyone else. of course, if you are actually at the game, it probably is a memory that lasts forever.

Archived