Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Need A Safety in the 1st round

Bhutanibeast

Williams? Who are you talking about? We have one real pass rusher in Carter (who really did come on well in the latter half of the season). Daniels is 33 years old and doesn't really have enough left in him to get to the QB without help. That is why I want to pick up Jamaal Anderson. He is young, big, fast, and good against the run as well as pass rushing.

Williams was just brought in from the CFL, we have 2 good back ups in Wynn and Daniels.

Guest HowAboutThemSkins
I understand what all of you are saying right. Forget Safety, we need a damn pass-rushing DE or a run-stopping DT! I totally understand what you are saying and that is exactly what we need. But the most glaring problem with out defense this year was not a lack of sacks or pass rush- IT WAS A LACK OF TURNOVERS. Dline, for the most part, does not generate turnovers, although they can help force them. That is why we need to trade down and draft Reggie Nelson-the ball hawking safety from Florida.

You are wrong headed. Thank goodness you are not on the Redskins draft team.

Williams? Who are you talking about? We have one real pass rusher in Carter (who really did come on well in the latter half of the season). Daniels is 33 years old and doesn't really have enough left in him to get to the QB without help. That is why I want to pick up Jamaal Anderson. He is young, big, fast, and good against the run as well as pass rushing.

Im all with ya buddy

Williams was just brought in from the CFL, we have 2 good back ups in Wynn and Daniels.

Oh you mean Chris Wilson, not Williams. So...uh...how is he a solid pass rusher? He is a major 'tweener at 6'4 and only 240...that is light for that height. Sure he had 8 sacks in the CFL, but that isn't the NFL. At that weight he'll get thrown around like a rag doll. Wynn and Daniels are decent backups but none of the 3 of these guys are impact players. I'd much rather draft Anderson who is 6'6 280 and very quick for his size (I believe I read that he runs a 4.6). Then we could potentially have an impact pass rusher and run stopper on the other side of Carter for many years to come.

This defense needs to go back to stuffing the run. This is why im for Anderson or Branch. Anderson could be the impact player we need. He can help against both the run and pass. You can put me at safety and I can do well with a nasty pass rush.

Wouldn't you rather trade down and get 20 year old Amobi Okoye and end up picking a defensive end in the second round?

I really don't understand why nobody is like Okoye. He's smaller than Branch, yes, but Branch is not a pass rusher at all.

If anybody watched the Lville/Wake game you'd know what I was talking about.:(

no thanks

its clear that a dline makes the defense. if you can generate some sort of pressure by just rushing 4 and dropping everyone else back in pass coverage the turnovers will come....trust me

you can have the best secondary out there but if the receivers have time to get open, they will get open.

I agree with trading down to get more picks, but I wouldn't waste them on a safety. I'm confident that a healthy Prioleau will start next year and do fine. If we can find a way to get Arch back in the fold, that would be good too. I think Reed Doughty could turn out to be our new Mark Murphy. Not very spectacular, but he got the job done.

Then use our picks on the best D-linemen & LB's available.

I understand your thinking BB however, I think your logic is flawed. The NFL is a passing game nowadays. The rules are set up to favor receivers over DBs. Even if we filled our entire defensive backfield with pro-bowlers the results would only be marginally better than what we experienced this season. If you give any decent QB and receiver combo enough time in the NFL someone is going to get open and you're going to get picked apart.

FWIW try re-reading the following:

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3376752&postcount=90

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3376901&postcount=103

....oh heck, just re-read the whole thread. There was a lot of great commentary on the relative importance of pass rush vs. coverage in that thread.

I understand your thinking BB however, I think your logic is flawed. The NFL is a passing game nowadays. The rules are set up to favor receivers over DBs. Even if we filled our entire defensive backfield with pro-bowlers the results would only be marginally better than what we experienced this season. If you give any decent QB and receiver combo enough time in the NFL someone is going to get open and you're going to get picked apart.

FWIW try re-reading the following:

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3376752&postcount=90

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3376901&postcount=103

....oh heck, just re-read the whole thread. There was a lot of great commentary on the relative importance of pass rush vs. coverage in that thread.

Thanks man...i appreciate it. But im just salivating at the thought of having Sean Taylor and Reggie Nelson. I may be wrong in the redskins draft strategy, but all of you have to agree that ST and Reggie would be absolutely nasty.

Understably..but you still need safeties who can make some plays. We only have on right now..and he didnt make that many this year. Reggie Nelson can help solve that problem.

You do realise it's alot easier to do that when your pressure\ing the QB constantly and stuffing the run. Forcing a QB into 3rd and long with a consistent pass rush that doesnt rely on blitzing guys is what creates the turnovers.

Lets put it this way. You have Manning sitting back with all day to throw, even with a blitz, even Ed Reed is going to look like AA. And vise-versa, if we can bring the heat with 4 guys consitently and create havoc with 5, ST looks like Reed. And AA looks like a safety.

Archived