Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Need A Safety in the 1st round

Bhutanibeast

I understand what all of you are saying right. Forget Safety, we need a damn pass-rushing DE or a run-stopping DT! I totally understand what you are saying and that is exactly what we need. But the most glaring problem with out defense this year was not a lack of sacks or pass rush- IT WAS A LACK OF TURNOVERS. Dline, for the most part, does not generate turnovers, although they can help force them. That is why we need to trade down and draft Reggie Nelson-the ball hawking safety from Florida.

Reggie Nelson is very similar to Ed Reed in his style of play, and all of uf saw what Ed Reed did to Peyton Manning. I think the most effective way of fixing this defense is to sign a FA DT or DE (Dwight Freeney killed the Ravens as well), and if that way is too expensive, then we use whatever picks we got from trading down to hopefully the mid teens, and draft a DE prospect. Trust me, two ball-hawking safetys will double the number of turnovers we had this year. They both can hit, and Reggie can flat out play the pass.

I am sure that by trading down almost 10 picks, we can pick up at least a 2nd and 3 rounder. We could possible get Tim Crowder, Adam Carriker, or Lamarr Woodley-all of them are solid prospects. DT isnt that strong this year but possibly Quinn Pit****, or Kareem Brown from the U. Just imagine our secondary with Sean Taylor and Reggie Nelson playing deep.

While I do agree safety is a huge ? at this time, we have way to much depth at that position to waste our precious 1st rounder on another friggin safety. We have Arch, Fox, Vincent, and Prioleau to have compete for the position. I'm sure between those 4 guys, we should be able to find a suitable player (or duo of players) to play at strong safety.

And while I'd love to have Dwight Freeny, I see him as another potential big name FA bust that we'd sign to the biggest contract in DE history. I'm all for either:

- Drafting a defensive pass rusher at our current position (Whether it be like a Paul Poluszny or Gaines Adams type of guy)

- Or trade down and get some more picks, then draft some lesser known, and underrated talents.

I would love to have nelson but we already have so much invested in archuleta...If we release arch we still have PP whose pretty good and vernon fox who isn't terrible. And you said our biggest need is forcing TO's, well inorder to get TO's you need a pass rush to disrupt the QB so he throws passes like manning did last night that Ed Reed picked off. If the guy has all day he won't throw those passes. I do agree with you that trading down is probably a good idea though. I guess we will see what we get in FA and then draft accordingly. If we can some how trade down and still get nelson and lamarr woodley that would be an A++ draft. HTTR

Turnovers are created by pressuring the QB. Get pass rushers to force QBs into throwing when they aren't ready... and our current secondary would be raking in the INTs.

Taking another safety in the first round of this year's draft is the worst idea I've heard in a while.

This team has more safeties than it needs already plus some young talent.

ST

AA

PP

TV

VF

RD

You are claiming that we have "depth" at the safety position. I think some of you are mistaken by what "depth" actually means. Depth does NOT mean that we have just a bunch of players that are listed on the roster as Safety. That is not Depth. Depth is having capable players that can make players, very capable starters, and capable backups. 4 out of those 5 guys cannot play Safety for the redskins anymore. Sure Vernon and Pierson can be third safeties but they sure cannot start at Safety. Thats why we need Reggie Nelson, or even laron landry.

Turnovers are created by pressuring the QB. Get pass rushers to force QBs into throwing when they aren't ready... and our current secondary would be raking in the INTs.

Taking another safety in the first round of this year's draft is the worst idea I've heard in a while.

I dont see why we would have anymore picks. Our secondary drops like 3 picks per game. We need somebody back there that can catch the ball and force some INTs on his own.

Dline, for the most part, does not generate turnovers, although they can help force them.

So which is it? The the Dline doesn't generate turnovers or they do?

It all goes hand in hand. Pressure forces the opposing QB into hurried,bad decisions. The secondary reaps the benefits.

The last time this franchise spent a first round pick on a Dlineman was 1997(Kenard Lang).You can't go a decade drafting like that. It's one of the main reasons why we haven't gotten pressure by our front four in over 15 years.

This has to change this April. No more sexy picks. Ignore the hype machine(Calvin Johnson). Draft the "big uglies" so that for once, we can pressure the opposing QB without having to bring everyone and the kitchen sink on a blitz.

Look....no matter how you look at it we dont look bad on the edges. Yes we could use another CB, but that can be found in FA. We have (I'm going out on a limb here) at minimal, a good QB, WR corp is solid, TE solid, RB solid, Safety is solid. Now..you could argue LB, but investing in the lines on both sides of the ball is what needs to happen with this team. If we get better line play the LB's will look better as will the S and CB spot. I blocking TE would be nice, but I almost would consider that position a OL slot. DRAFT THE LINES!!! DRAFT THE LINES!!!! DRAFT THE LINES!!! I would be ok if every single pick was used onthe lines this year, with the possible exception of a developmental QB or CB.:logo:

You are claiming that we have "depth" at the safety position. I think some of you are mistaken by what "depth" actually means. Depth does NOT mean that we have just a bunch of players that are listed on the roster as Safety. That is not Depth. Depth is having capable players that can make players, very capable starters, and capable backups. 4 out of those 5 guys cannot play Safety for the redskins anymore. Sure Vernon and Pierson can be third safeties but they sure cannot start at Safety. Thats why we need Reggie Nelson, or even laron landry.

ST can play both the run and pass, AA and PP can allternate and play to their strengths.

TV is getting a little long in the tooth and VF can be a third stringer, RD can be groomed.

I dont see why we would have anymore picks. Our secondary drops like 3 picks per game. We need somebody back there that can catch the ball and force some INTs on his own.

That just means that we need to draft a catching coach, not a new safety. It all starts with the line. I say Jamaal Anderson at DE or Alan Branch at DT. Either of those guy, IMO, could make an immediate impact and help force more turnovers.

The great Redskins teams and defenses were built with outstanding D lines and good enough DB play

Just look at the last Superbowl win

Besides Darrel Green, the secondary had no superstars

You had Green and Martin Mayhew at CB

Brad Edwards and Danny Copeland at safeties. Hardly superstars, but very effective

Why you ask?

You had 8 guys on the d-line who could stop the run and rush the QB. Tim Johnson, Erik Williams, Jumpy Geathers, Fred Stokes, Charles Mann, even Bobby Wilson as a rookie produced

Solid LB play

Build the D from the trenches back and you don't need superstar DB's

I know thats what i was saying...trade down to the mid teens or early twenties and draft Reggie Nelson or maybe even Laron Landry.

Look I know those guys are good players but any DB is going to have a hard time making plays when the other team's QB has all the time he needs to find the best receiver and make a good pass. A great D line that gets plenty of pressure on the QB makes average DBs look like stars. You gotta build from the front back and our front is generally getting old and not getting it done anymore.

Look I know those guys are good players but any DB is going to have a hard time making plays when the other team's QB has all the time he needs to find the best receiver and make a good pass. A great D line that gets plenty of pressure on the QB makes average DBs look like stars. You gotta build from the front back and our front is generally getting old and not getting it done anymore.

We got two good ends, in Williams and Carter, we need another Arrington tye LB or a Urlacher.

We got two good ends, in Williams and Carter, we need another Arrington tye LB or a Urlacher.

Williams? Who are you talking about? We have one real pass rusher in Carter (who really did come on well in the latter half of the season). Daniels is 33 years old and doesn't really have enough left in him to get to the QB without help. That is why I want to pick up Jamaal Anderson. He is young, big, fast, and good against the run as well as pass rushing.

Archived