Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The all-time Jimi Hendrix thread

Spaceman Spiff

I remember when I first heard his music and I never listened to music the same way again. 40 years ago the man made sounds that I have yet to be heard replicated today and I'm often finding new things in his music that I never noticed before. IMO, thats one of the true hallmarks of a good musician.

Check out www.daggerrecords.com, they have some cool bootlegs/unreleased studio stuff. The new release "Burning Desire" is just instrumental jam stuff recorded at the studio as well as the other cd "Hear My Music". You can preview 'em both on the site. I know there are a lot of Hendrix freaks out there on the board besides myself and wanted to steer you all in that direction to hear some stuff you might not have heard before.

Anyway, share your thoughts, feelings, memories, anything...pics are good, too. Favorite songs, lyrics, solos, albums?

JIMI-HENDRIX-4-NYC-th.jpg

jimi%20hendrix%20-%20white%20strat.jpg

1355_498405098_jimi_hendrix_H024813_L.jpg

jimi_hendrix.jpg

300px-Hendrix_title.jpg

Jimi%20Hendrix%2068035-3a.jpg

Funny, I was in a record store this afternoon and saw a copy of the "Live at the Fillmore East" DVD, so I picked it up. You just reminded me that I left it in the car. :cheers:

I was a kid in 1967, when Hendrix broke out, but even a kid could see that he was something special. His music was the heaviest thing anyone had heard, and he wrote great lyrics, but it was his musicianship that made him famous: it was as if Jesus had come back as a guitar player - the most expressive and inventive guitar player ever; he didn't play the thing with his hands, he played it with his soul. Even Clapton was jealous.

I still remember what I was doing when I heard he'd died. I think he was only 27, but he sure as hell left his mark. :cool:

wasn't old enough to see Jimi in the 60's but I did start buying his lp's from about '68 on. I wish had a dollar for everytime I've listened to electric ladyland, still my favorite. 1983...,burning the midnite lamp, gypsy eyes, come on. I've got several copies sealed including the original europe cover

coverelbig.jpg

Jimi used to party in NYC and bring other famous muscians back to his ELL studios. There must be months of unreleased recording albeit jams. One of those nights he had Jim Morrison and Johnny Winter, imagine that crew.

you can download "woke up this morning and found myself dead". It's humorous but intertaining. http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,348361,00.html

I think everyone should own a DVD of hendrix at woodstock, isle of wight, or jimi plays berkley. It's amazing to see his big hands wraped all the way around the guitar neck and how many notes and chords he played with his thumb- mind blowing

EXPER-DVD528309.jpg

woodstock_hendrix_byAllanKoss_n2-use.jpg

Jimi used to party in NYC and bring other famous muscians back to his ELL studios. There must be months of unreleased recording albeit jams. One of those nights he had Jim Morrison and Johnny Winter, imagine that crew.

you can download "woke up this morning and found myself dead". It's humorous but intertaining.

I used to have a copy of the show Morrison jumps up on stage with him. Morrison is, well, Morrison - PISS drunk, mumbling, and the vulgarity is flying. :laugh:

I used to have a copy of the show Morrison jumps up on stage with him. Morrison is, well, Morrison - PISS drunk, mumbling, and the vulgarity is flying. :laugh:

That's on a very hard-to-find record called "Woke Up This Morning and Found Myself Dead"

In fact it is a Johnny Winter show in Germany (I think it's Germany) that Jimi came onstage for a guest spot, and Morrison did indeed show up piss drunk, literally writhing on the floor moaning.

You can hear Hendrix laugh at him more than a few times.

All in all unless you just GOTTA hear it, it's pretty much terrible.

One of the records in my collection that I am proud to say has survived the years is an original pressing (brown label) copy of Hendrix's "The Cry of Love"

the-cry-of-love.jpg

This was the record Jimi was working on when he died. Just after he died they closed it up with the material that they had made and released it.. then shortly thereafter pulled it off the shelves.

It's a really good album, "EZ Ryder" is my favorite track on it.

They re-released it about 10 years ago as "Voodoo Soup", but then they pulled THAT back off the shelves, too.

"I say flotation is groovy...."

~Bang

That's on a very hard-to-find record called "Woke Up This Morning and Found Myself Dead"

In fact it is a Johnny Winter show in Germany (I think it's Germany) that Jimi came onstage for a guest spot, and Morrison did indeed show up piss drunk, literally writhing on the floor moaning.

You can hear Hendrix laugh at him more than a few times.

All in all unless you just GOTTA hear it, it's pretty much terrible.

The tape I had said it was in New York somewhere - that could have been wrong though. It was title the same though. And, yeah, it pretty much sucked and is only a novelty.

His cover of Like a Rolling Stone at the Monterey pop festival is :notworthy

For the longest time, it was impossible to find, unless you bought the entire show on VHS :mad: In high school I used to play that tape over and over again just to listen to it. The feel he gets from his guitar... the subtleties of his sound... the notes he accents, the notes he doesn't... absolutely unparalleled. And it was all done live while he was trying to sing :) (not the greatest vocalist :P)

My 2 favorite studio tracks from him are 1983 and Castles Made of Sand. 1983 is just SICK. Don't know what else to say. When he simulates going under water with his guitar... wow, gives me chills just thinking about it.

Castles Made of Sand is probably my favorite piece of guitar work ever recorded. The subtleties and intricacies of his sound are just not from this planet. :notworthy:

Oh, honorable mention to Third Stone From The Sun

Great track, especially when you're in an altered state. Also the live version of Killing Floor (not sure where it was recorded, but the popular one you hear most of the time).... that guitar intro is freaking awesome :notworthy:

Oh to hell with it, it's impossible to pick a favorite

His cover of Like a Rolling Stone at the Monterey pop festival is :notworthy

For the longest time, it was impossible to find, unless you bought the entire show on VHS :mad: In high school I used to play that tape over and over again just to listen to it. The feel he gets from his guitar... the subtleties of his sound... the notes he accents, the notes he doesn't... absolutely unparalleled. And it was all done live while he was trying to sing :) (not the greatest vocalist :P)

My 2 favorite studio tracks from him are 1983 and Castles Made of Sand. 1983 is just SICK. Don't know what else to say. When he simulates going under water with his guitar... wow, gives me chills just thinking about it.

Castles Made of Sand is probably my favorite piece of guitar work ever recorded. The subtleties and intricacies of his sound are just not from this planet. :notworthy:

Those are my two favorites too :cheers:

I have a rare album by Jimi that's essentially a best-of album. It's bordered in purple with Jimi's face on the front in yellow. I listened to that sucker all the time in highschool. Voodoo Chile, Room Full of Mirrors, Purple Haze...it's definitly loaded. And best of all it's a wax album, very raw.

I must say, as a drummer you have to respect the jazzy groove of Mitch Mitchell. Without him, the music may not have been as funky, and Jimi may not have been able to ride off of those great grooves. All hail Jimi.

Archived