Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Coordinator Assumes Old Defensive Crouch (part III)

Dirk Diggler

Can't believe this wasn't posted yet, but I looked & didn't see it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/02/AR2007010201192.html

THE LOST SEASON: A Drop in Performance

Coordinator Assumes Old Defensive Crouch

Some Blame Arrogance for Redskins' Struggles. For Williams, It's a Familiar Battle of Perception.

By Les Carpenter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 3, 2007; Page E01

As a young man growing up in the Kansas City suburb of Excelsior Springs, Mo., he was always the most important athlete -- the quarterback, the pitcher, the point guard. This mattered to Gregg Williams because each role came with prestige, a trust in his leadership that was implicit even if those outside the game never understood the subtleties of his charge.

And yet these were the ones he worried about, the ones who saw him hanging around the locker room every day, sized him up in his cleats and dismissed him with the phrase he hated most.

"Dumb jock."

The Washington Redskins' assistant head coach for defense, the man who holds the option of being the next head coach when Joe Gibbs leaves, carries the scar left from those two words. He refers to it as "a chip on my shoulder." He says this one night last week as he sits in his corner office at Redskins Park with the blinds pulled down, surrounded by tidy shelves of binders and notebooks. His desktop is impeccable, scrubbed gleaming clean with prim piles of books and papers. If a machine playing game tapes didn't sit on a shelf behind him, you might think he doesn't even use this desk.

Click on link for rest of article

But Pierce became a free agent two years ago and left for the New York Giants in part, some around the team believe, because Williams thought he was expendable. One coach with knowledge of the situation who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution said he doesn't believe Williams told Redskins owner Daniel Snyder that Pierce was irreplaceable. Had he done so, the coach said, Snyder probably would have matched the Giants' offer.

tell me what's wrong with that quote

and you can understand why you can take these articles with a grain of salt

hmmmm so it was greg williams who wanted gibbs to get saunders

i dont blame gibbs

:doh:

Reading comprehension is your friend:

"A few days later, Gibbs walked into Williams's office and said he had hired Saunders, shocking Williams, who never knew the Redskins were courting him."

Gibbs hired Saunders in part because of the positive dossier Williams had on him.

Another good article by JLC. Hopefully GW will learn from this year -- sometimes you gotta kicked down a notch or two in life.

I am a little sick of the excuses though. This whole Saunders offense hurt the d thing only goes so far -- there were plenty of sustained drives the second half of the season. Even with plenty of rest, the d could rarely stop anybody.

I said it was Arch a 100 times. Someone told me. And Byner is another leak.

The sad thing is Byner is on the coaching staff.

It is sad. Then again, if I was Byner and watched the front office (which includes the head coach) make the same damn idiotic moves over and over I'd probably want to do a little leaking as well.

Hopefully something good will come from all this public airing of dirty laundry. Maybe it will actually convince Danny and Joe that something is horribly broken and needs to be fixed.

tell me what's wrong with that quote

and you can understand why you can take these articles with a grain of salt

Regardless of how someone judges the use of anonymous sources, the whole article wasn't entirely composed from them. Unless, of course, all the quotes were completely fabricated, which would be a baffling move for a journalist presumably interested in the advancement of his career.

Anyways, I thought it was a great article and very fair to Gregg Williams. It actually makes me feel confident that he is interested in correcting his errors to prove that he can still a run a respectable defense.

Hmmm...When the offense started rolling at the end of the season, there were still problems on the defense. Not sure the "3-and-Out offense caused poor defense" excuse totally clears the air for me. It's an interesting article, but not really illuminating with exception to William's persona.

This was by Les Carpenter with LaCanf as contributor...Howard Bryant did yesterday's.

It is sad. Then again, if I was Byner and watched the front office (which includes the head coach) make the same damn idiotic moves over and over I'd probably want to do a little leaking as well.

Hopefully something good will come from all this public airing of dirty laundry. Maybe it will actually convince Danny and Joe that something is horribly broken and needs to be fixed.

Byner will not be back. His contract is up. And Gibbs does not talk to him.

I said it was Arch a 100 times. Someone told me. And Byner is another leak.

The sad thing is Byner is on the coaching staff.

That stinks that Byner won't be back. He REALLY helped Clinton and Ladell to become much better backs. I bet the trade for Duckett really PO'd him

I think this article and Portis speaking out tells us what type of season we are going to have next year.Lets face it guys this team sucks and our coaching staff is why.I starting to think its not Snyders fault.The only thing you can fault him for is the coaching staff.

But Pierce became a free agent two years ago and left for the New York Giants in part, some around the team believe, because Williams thought he was expendable. One coach with knowledge of the situation who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution said he doesn't believe Williams told Redskins owner Daniel Snyder that Pierce was irreplaceable. Had he done so, the coach said, Snyder probably would have matched the Giants' offer.

Well at least i have a reason why we let Pierce go now.:doh:

My opinion changes with each new article that comes out. I am a lemming. A slave to the media. Damn it all.

Anyway...I like Greg Williams again.

You like him again i am seeing a lot of bad things in here.Did you read the whole 5 pages.

Archived