Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Coordinator Assumes Old Defensive Crouch (part III)

Dirk Diggler

Tell Gregg Williams that. I'm not the one who is so inflexible that I can only run one defense' date=' regardless of the level of talent I have.

Why is that Belichik can run a 3-4 one week, a 4-3 the next, cut Lawyer Milloy out of of spite, play a wide receiver at nickelback, have a stroke-victim at inside linebacker and never lose a beat?

In 2004, Cowher/Dick Lebeau lost their all-world nosetackle. Then they lost his all-world nose-tackle's backup. And he still put together a defense that won 15 games.

Meanwhile, we can't deal with an injury to Pierson Freakin' Priloeau?[/quote']

I dunno...maybe because Belichik has real linebackers and a verifiable perenial all pro on the D-line? nahhhh...can't have anything to do with talent and athleticism. take note...Belichik's defense went to *hit when his starting LBs were down for the count. your memory is very selective.

Tell Gregg Williams that. I'm not the one who is so inflexible that I can only run one defense' date=' regardless of the level of talent I have.

Why is that Belichik can run a 3-4 one week, a 4-3 the next, cut Lawyer Milloy out of of spite, play a wide receiver at nickelback, have a stroke-victim at inside linebacker and never lose a beat?[/quote']

The article in question pretty much shoots down your argument that he is inflexible, but I can come up with some others. We ran the 3-4 occasionally last year. After being known as a blitz happy D-coordinator, the blitz was signifigantly toned down this year when the talent wasn't there at CB to cover guys. Benching Arch was a reaction to the changing needs of the defense.

In the end what doomed us wasn't scheme, but execution and a lack of consistancy.

Meanwhile, we can't deal with an injury to Pierson Freakin' Priloeau?

That's about as silly as saying not resigning Clark doomed our defense.

But, losing Springs and Prioleau, and the fact that Wright didn't live up to expectations ends up being pretty devestating to the cover abilities of this defense. It isn't just one thing but a combination of things.

Jason

I dunno...maybe because Belichik has real linebackers and a verifiable perenial all pro on the D-line? nahhhh...can't have anything to do with talent and athleticism. take note...Belichik's defense went to *hit when his starting LBs were down for the count. your memory is very selective.

And who "swings the lumber" when it comes to selecting talent? Who has repeatedly tried to prove that schemes, not players, win?

Archived