Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis on 980...anybody listening??

diego1115

I just listened to the interview. I didn't hear anything really disparaging about Gibbs or Saunders or the team. Maybe some things he (CP) would like done differently, but I didn't get the slant everybody previous in this thread did.

For those who didn't actually hear the interview. These are the things I heard. Pardon the shorthanded notes. I could not quote him directly and these are just my attempt to type what he said. But I repeat: I don't think he was really down on anybody. Just spoke his mind and revealed a little bit about the behind the scenes stuff. He had disagreements and he spoke up about them. He sounded very straightforward. He must have had some problem with Brandon Lloyd, but he didn't dwell on it. He disagreed with the front office on the departure of AP and RC. He sounded like a Redskin. Other than constantl referring to himself in the third person, he really did not come across as anyone but a professional having a discussion about his team. I heard no cheap shots.

1.On preseason workouts Everybody's a grownup. They know they're professionals and this is how they make their living. OTA's and everything else put too much on players. "Wear and tear" on players. Feels players should make their own schedule.

2. On people talking: Lot of guys who do a lot of talking but they hide behind reporters. If you've got a problem, make it known who has a problem. Be a man. People got to step up, myself included. Coach Gibbs gives you an open mike, but nobody stood up. People don't talk because they fear for their jobs. But I talk because I'm not afraid for my job.

3. Clinton is often asked to speak for the team. He speaks and Gibbs listens. No problem.

4. Do we have the right guys? People need to own up. Clinton Portis is not the only man with a problem. Gibbs has an open door policy, but nobody takes advantage of it. Only 2 or 3 people say anything. Everybody else feels they have no pull.

5. We don't have 2 or 3 people to represent the team (captains). Different people every week. WHo had a good practice, who had a good game.

6. True Redskins:

rock cartwright

james thrash

sean taylor

antoine randle el

david patten (spoke very highly of david patten)

antonio pierce (begged f.o. to keep him)

ryan clark (begged f.o. to keep him) Talked about how much time he put in.

He has no problem with AA but they hired AA to do the same things RC was already doing.

7. big bl fan when he was in sf. as a fan, CP wished he was my teammate. he burned bridges with portis, he turned his back on portis. (Later says he needs to be more involved in game.)

8. He didn't see Gibbs and Saunders talking to each other, but he didn't know they didn't when back in offices. He don't know why Saunders didn't put him in the passing game. CP talked to gibbs about the running game, but he never talked to saunders about passing game. He felt every pass play he ran he was open, but Saunders didn't use him in the passing game or talk to him about it.

9. Why was rocky on the bench? There's a lot of talent you don't see. How do players earn playing time. CP doesn't know. Lots of egos involved.

10. Felt there was a lot of heat for cp taking himself out this season without telling anyone. But he took himself out because he was hurt. Betts was the better for it. No problems working with Betts.

11. CP hopes for downhill running and not side to side like late season. dock's strong point is straight ahead. Thomas is better at pulling. Oline did well. He's looking forward to running downhill.

12. Do you still have to prove yourself. CP's not just a practice player, but he lays back in practice because he's already hurt. But proving yourself is just part of life.

13. Jason Campbell has to be Jason Campbell. but he was restricted because coaches wanted him to manage the game, but not lose the game. He thinks they need to let him be just be JC and throw the long bomb more. Need to get BL more involved because it will help moss.

At least that's what I heard. I'm not sure what everybody else was listening too, but if anyone got their feelings hurt by this interview, they must have real thin skin.

yes I am. He is laying all out. You get to love this guy. He needs to be the leader of this team. No question. He speaks the truth. And he also is letting to me know that this team is not that bad and they can get back to forum. Dock asked him who is a CORE REDSKINS. Jame thrash, S. taylor, M. washington, Rock Cartright, S. moss, Randy Thomas, Cris cooley, Ladell Betts, . He also said that we let some core skins go. The names he mentioned are: Antonio peirce, Ryan clark, He said that ryan clark was a tru coe redskin. He said that Ryan clark would stay so late that he would leave and bring his son back and stay and watch game film. He question why they got AA.

I agree with your post with one big (IMO) notable exception. He did NOT mention C. Cooley as a core Redskin. :paranoid:

I listened to it all again tonight and I'm changing my mind about it a little..

His comments about Lloyd were wrong and didn't belong in public. It should be dealt with behind closed doors, Portis went off on a little rant about a personal issue and it damages the team in a vulnerable time.

not upset at all...in fact I find it amusing that folks think JG will manage his roster based on radio interviews. airing dirty laundry ranks a lot lower than dropping passes, illegal procedures and missed tackles....Gibbs knows that.

I HEAR YOUR POINT, FANSINCE. IT JUST WORRIES ME HOW IT SEEMS JG HAS LOST CONTROL OF THE LOCKER ROOM, YA KNOW. WHETHER IT IS COMPLAINTS ABOUT WILLIAMS, SAUNDERS OR THE LACK OF COACHING THAT JG HAS DONE THIS YEAR, IT SEEMS THAT MANY OF THE PLAYERS ARE FED UP.

SOMETIMES IT JUST GETS DEBILITATING TO GET MY HOPES UP EVERY OFFSEASON, AS WE ALL DO AND THEN HAVE IT FALL APART LIKE THIS. HOPEFULLY JG WILL TAKE THE REIGNS AND GET THEM BACK IN GOOD SPIRITS.

GOOD CHATTING WITH YOU - GO SKINS!!!

I just listened to the interview. I didn't hear anything really disparaging about Gibbs or Saunders or the team. Maybe some things he (CP) would like done differently, but I didn't get the slant everybody previous in this thread did.

For those who didn't actually hear the interview. These are the things I heard. Pardon the shorthanded notes. I could not quote him directly and these are just my attempt to type what he said. But I repeat: I don't think he was really down on anybody. Just spoke his mind and revealed a little bit about the behind the scenes stuff. He had disagreements and he spoke up about them. He sounded very straightforward. He must have had some problem with Brandon Lloyd, but he didn't dwell on it. He disagreed with the front office on the departure of AP and RC. He sounded like a Redskin. Other than constantl referring to himself in the third person, he really did not come across as anyone but a professional having a discussion about his team. I heard no cheap shots.

1.On preseason workouts Everybody's a grownup. They know they're professionals and this is how they make their living. OTA's and everything else put too much on players. "Wear and tear" on players. Feels players should make their own schedule.

2. On people talking: Lot of guys who do a lot of talking but they hide behind reporters. If you've got a problem, make it known who has a problem. Be a man. People got to step up, myself included. Coach Gibbs gives you an open mike, but nobody stood up. People don't talk because they fear for their jobs. But I talk because I'm not afraid for my job.

3. Clinton is often asked to speak for the team. He speaks and Gibbs listens. No problem.

4. Do we have the right guys? People need to own up. Clinton Portis is not the only man with a problem. Gibbs has an open door policy, but nobody takes advantage of it. Only 2 or 3 people say anything. Everybody else feels they have no pull.

5. We don't have 2 or 3 people to represent the team (captains). Different people every week. WHo had a good practice, who had a good game.

6. True Redskins:

rock cartwright

james thrash

sean taylor

antoine randle el

david patten (spoke very highly of david patten)

antonio pierce (begged f.o. to keep him)

ryan clark (begged f.o. to keep him) Talked about how much time he put in.

He has no problem with AA but they hired AA to do the same things RC was already doing.

7. big bl fan when he was in sf. as a fan, CP wished he was my teammate. he burned bridges with portis, he turned his back on portis. (Later says he needs to be more involved in game.)

8. He didn't see Gibbs and Saunders talking to each other, but he didn't know they didn't when back in offices. He don't know why Saunders didn't put him in the passing game. CP talked to gibbs about the running game, but he never talked to saunders about passing game. He felt every pass play he ran he was open, but Saunders didn't use him in the passing game or talk to him about it.

9. Why was rocky on the bench? There's a lot of talent you don't see. How do players earn playing time. CP doesn't know. Lots of egos involved.

10. Felt there was a lot of heat for cp taking himself out this season without telling anyone. But he took himself out because he was hurt. Betts was the better for it. No problems working with Betts.

11. CP hopes for downhill running and not side to side like late season. dock's strong point is straight ahead. Thomas is better at pulling. Oline did well. He's looking forward to running downhill.

12. Do you still have to prove yourself. CP's not just a practice player, but he lays back in practice because he's already hurt. But proving yourself is just part of life.

13. Jason Campbell has to be Jason Campbell. but he was restricted because coaches wanted him to manage the game, but not lose the game. He thinks they need to let him be just be JC and throw the long bomb more. Need to get BL more involved because it will help moss.

At least that's what I heard. I'm not sure what everybody else was listening too, but if anyone got their feelings hurt by this interview, they must have real thin skin.

Thank you. It took 75 pages but finally we got the right take on it. :applause:

Time for my little rant...I guess we need something to talk about during off-season, but the way his interview is being blown out of proportion on here is kind of crazy.

This team went 5-11 people. There are problems on it and CP talked about a few of them. He did not throw JG under a bus for crying out loud. I am so sick of even hearing about "throwing under a bus!". Anytime anyone mentions a problem witht he team they are "throwing someone under the bus!" Why dont we for the sake of not throwing anyone under the bus keep every player on the current roster and every coach. They are all doing such perfect jobs. If we draft a player in the first round won't we be admitting guys were not good enough and throwing whoever he replaces under a bus? I am so sick of hearing that term. 5-11 means guys need to go. Changes need to be made, and competitive players will be frustrated.

Time for me to go puke under a bus.....

Just one question....

Is there anyway Brandon Lloyd be a member of the Redskins next season after the commits Clinton made? He does put Joe Gibbs in a funny situation here.

dude....JG already had a very public series of "counseling" sessions - during the season no less - with BL. CP stirred a pot that was already shaken. This doesn't place JG in any position he didn't already occupy.

How does talking publicly make you a trade bait?

Terell Owens. CP is not as bad as TO yet but, if this 'public speaking' becomes a constant then he will be just as bad as 81.

CP has been here for three years with Coach Gibbs. You're going to trade him just because he rants to the public? Not to mention it's the first time he has done it. That's just stupid.

This is not the first time he has talked out in public. He is free with his mouth and it can turn for the worse.

:rolleyes:

wanna wager he's here next year?

wanna wager that he is a primadonna no matter what colors he wears? He is a damned good football player but, he needs to shut the **** up and deal with things IN HOUSE!

good thing you aren't the GM.

You either.

and what a laughable standard: say something negative about the team in public and you are traded or cut? bahahahaahahahaha...that's a sure fire way to build trust and loyalty!

TEEEE-OH, TEE-OH, TEE-OH, TEE-OH, TEE-OH.. TEE-OH.

;)

Terell Owens. CP is not as bad as TO yet but, if this 'public speaking' becomes a constant then he will be just as bad as 81.

This is not the first time he has talked out in public. He is free with his mouth and it can turn for the worse.

wanna wager that he is a primadonna no matter what colors he wears? He is a damned good football player but, he needs to shut the **** up and deal with things IN HOUSE!

These guys who defend Portis would defend Iverson. They think talent trumps everything.

There is a reason the super bowl teams to have these outspoken super talents. For as he is he is making that many people annoyed as him in the lockeroom.

You either.

TEEEE-OH, TEE-OH, TEE-OH, TEE-OH, TEE-OH.. TEE-OH.

;)

Portis= Iverson. He gets paid to play on sundays according to him. So he is going to give you a headache if you are losing. If everything is going well there is no one else you want.

I do not understand these guys. You pratice how you play. Only so many times you get by on talent.

Seriously guys, TO gets blasted for these same antics.

Remember what happened in Denver? He wasn't going to honor his rookie contract. Granted he played much better than his contract but there's a reason why something is called a contract. YOU HAVE TO HONOR IT.

I just really wish Clinton would clam up, worry about his rehab and come back ready to tear it up in 2007 instead of bashing his team and don't start trying to be a PITA. As I said before, most of us would be fired from our job if we did this to our bosses.

Portis= Iverson. He gets paid to play on sundays according to him. So he is going to give you a headache if you are losing. If everything is going well there is no one else you want.

I do not understand these guys. You pratice how you play. Only so many times you get by on talent.

I don't remember CP giving us a headache during or after the 04' season, which was also tough.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of you have probably already heard this radio interview of Portis on 980. I dont get the opportunity to listen to 980 but I just came across this. For those of you who have not heard this interview, be prepared. Clinton holds no punches. He explains how this team is full of a bunch of cowards, among other things. Its a long listen, but you wont get bored. (But you might blow chunks before it ends)

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/WASHINGTON-DC/WTEM-AM/01-02-07%20Clinton%20Portis.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=WASHINGTON-DC&NG_FORMAT=sportstalk&SITE_ID=1265&STATION_ID=WTEM-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=SportsTalk_980&PCAST_CAT=Sports&PCAST_TITLE=The_John_Thompson_Show

EDIT: Sorry Mods, my search button never works.

CP needs to shut the **** up or we should get rid of him. Sure, the things said are probably true.. but, then those things should be said to Gibbs/Snyder. Why go out in public and *****? You look like an ass and a cancer. Me thinks CP is tired of losing (who wouldn't be?) and ultimately wants out.

CP needs to shut the **** up or we should get rid of him. Sure, the things said are probably true.. but, then those things should be said to Gibbs/Snyder. Why go out in public and *****? You look like an ass and a cancer. Me thinks CP is tired of losing (who wouldn't be?) and ultimately wants out.

SO you've heard this before, I assume. I cant blame you for your opinion. But I cant really blame him either. Its just a shock to the system to hear that this organization is THAT effed up.

It doesnt give me a whole lot of faith going into next season (not that I had a ton to begin with).

Seriously though, it was painful to listen to.

SO you've heard this before, I assume. I cant blame you for your opinion. But I cant really blame him either. Its just a shock to the system to hear that this organization is THAT effed up.

It doesnt give me a whole lot of faith going into next season (not that I had a ton to begin with).

Seriously though, it was painful to listen to.

I have. Hell, I love CP and what he brings to this team. He is easily one of our best RB's in team history.. not THE best but, he makes the list. What I do not like nor stand for is team cancers. I think it is pretty obvious that this CP ****ing is not going to do any good for the team moral--thus being team cancer. I love his fire and he clearly loves where he is but, wants change. He is just going about it the wrong way.

CP is a damned good football player but, is clearly a primadonna.

EDIT: Sorry Mods, my search button never works.

This thread was bumped earlier today & was on the front page when you posted yours. Just because the search didn't work, it's always a good idea to scan over the first few pages first. ;)

I have. Hell, I love CP and what he brings to this team. He is easily one of our best RB's in team history.. not THE best but, he makes the list. What I do not like nor stand for is team cancers. I think it is pretty obvious that this CP ****ing is not going to do any good for the team moral--thus being team cancer. I love his fire and he clearly loves where he is but, wants change. He is just going about it the wrong way.

CP is a damned good football player but, is clearly a primadonna.

I STRONGLY disagree there. It's been more than painfully obvious that minus the streak at the end of 05, playing the "stay quiet and things will get better" role around here hasn't done any good. To me, I think it's about damn time that someone said something and put the COACHES on the spot. They're part of the team just like the players are, so why should they be spared any humility? Portis speaking up is nothing but a change of pace for this team, and one I believe it desperately needs.

Archived