Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broncos' Darrent Williams gunned down in limo (merged)

Monk in the Hall!

It is being reported that he and Javon Walker got into an altercation at a bar with some other patrons and decided to leave. Evidently someone may have followed the limo and sprayed it with gunfire. Police are interviewing suspects but no arrests have been made. The Broncos will release a statement this afternoon.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/football/4437601.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716385 (video tv news story)

According to Denver Police Williams was shot and killed early Monday morning in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver. Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. Mountain Time from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

311xInlineGallery.jpg

— Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting early Monday, his limousine sprayed with bullets in downtown Denver.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. from the scene and told him three people had been shot, and the 24-year-old Williams had been killed. His death came hours after the Denver Broncos were eliminated from the playoff race.

A little after 2 a.m., a white Hummer limousine was fired on from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said. As many as a dozen bullet holes were visible on the driver's side of the vehicle. One window was blown out and four others had bullet holes.

Three people in the limo were hit and taken to hospitals, where one man was pronounced dead, Jackson said. The other man and woman who were shot were not identified.

Jackson said police were searching for suspects.

"We have no motive yet," he said. "We're hoping to talk with witnesses to find out where they were coming from, and that might give us some clues."

The limo sat in a snowbank beside Speer Boulevard, a main street through downtown. Police and technicians worked amid snow and ice from recent storms, using small yellow plastic markers to indicate possible evidence.

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization. Hours earlier, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away," Saccomano said.

some pretty tough fans, maybe Champ might consider coming back to the skins :doh:

i did a search on this but didnt get anything so has anyone else heard anything about this? i live in denver and i havent seen anything about it on tv. apparently the starting corner darrent williams who plays opposite champ was shot and killed early this morning while in a limo. two other people were wounded

I can't believe this isn't bigger news. I've seen more about Jim Mora being fired than the first active NFL player in years to die and for it to be a murder.

You'd think this would be national news, even non-sports.

Yeah; ESPN 2 taliked about it all this morning.

I thought it woud have been mentioned on a larger stage.

Even though I cant stand the Broncos I live 40 miles south of Denver and see the players all the time. So it hit kind of hard to see a guy in my community's name on the bottom of the espn screen that he was murdered by some coward. My prayers go out to the family, his 2 kids, the organization, and the senseless idiot who did this. No one deserves their life to end this way. This was just not a football player this was a human being. We as a whole need to "get it together" and find out whats really important. RIP Darrent

He has two children......a 7 year old boy........and a 4 year old girl. They live in Fort Worth. They had been in Denver with him for Christmas.

The mother of his children was on television talking about texting him and telling him Happy New Year and he never texted her back.

You NEVER know.......all of us NEVER know how people will react to us. So many people think life has so little meaning.

This is tragic.

Blondie

I can't believe this isn't bigger news. I've seen more about Jim Mora being fired than the first active NFL player in years to die and for it to be a murder.

You'd think this would be national news, even non-sports.

It's the top story on CNN.com and Foxnews.com, and I know I saw it as breaking news this morning on both networks. It's definitely getting attention, as well it should. It's a damn travesty.

Archived